Does it matter which way round my front wheel goes on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

After yesterdays puncture I found my computer wasnt working this morning....erm...be cause I'd fitted the wheel on the other way around to what it was...doh...anyway apart from the computer issue is there any other reason why i shouldn't just leave the wheel on this way around? The quick release lever is now on the right as I look at it from the saddle instead of the left....the rear wheel still has it's lever on the left.

Ta

Arch

Married to Night Train
Can't think of any reason that it matters, with a front wheel, unless you had a fancy tyre with a tread that's meant to go one way. (I believe there are such things...)

Peyote

Yep, can't see any problem, unless of course you've got disc brakes. But I suspect you would've realised you'd done something wrong a bit earlier!

Bigtallfatbloke said:
After yesterdays puncture I found my computer wasnt working this morning....erm...be cause I'd fitted the wheel on the other way around to what it was...doh...anyway apart from the computer issue is there any other reason why i shouldn't just leave the wheel on this way around? The quick release lever is now on the right as I look at it from the saddle instead of the left....the rear wheel still has it's lever on the left.

Ta

No. Unless you are anal like me and need to be able to read the text on the hub from a standing position in front of the bike. I have a friend who is equally anal about being able to read it from the saddle. But he's wrong.

Tynan

Veteran
tyre direction as Arch says, every tyre I ever had had a way it wants to run, how much difference that makes I wouldn't be knowing

The tyre may be directional, the skewer should always live on the left hand side of the bike but the wheel may run whichever way you want. The front wheel is rotationally symmetrical.

Pedantic? Me? Nah.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mickle said:
Shirley its easier to change the wheel.

Yes, but don't call me shirley...

I guess the main thing is to have it so that the wheel is pointing fore and aft, and not try to fit it in sideways...:biggrin:

Blue

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Thanks all...being a lazy bugger I'm going to leave it as is and just move the computergizmo over.

I did the very same thing this morning :biggrin:, but realised the error within a mile. FWIW it only took seconds to change the wheel and get on my way.

In mitigation I must add that my tyres are a bugger to get off the rim and it, therefore, took so long to change the tube that I rushed getting the gear repacked and the wheel back on as I was limited for time. At least the culprit (a piece of glass) was easy to find.

We live and learn, eh!!

Top Bottom