does using a camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Automatically turn you into a nob?
I've been wanting to get one for a while now but I'm afraid I'm gonna turn into one of these vigilantes.
I make mistakes, I know that so would like to review situations to see what I could have done better. It could have come in handy with a recent taxi driver situation as well.
Be interesting to hear from fellow commuters who do use them and whether or not (truthfully) it has changed them.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a fair point. Why don't the Camera Qaeda post up footage of their own terrible riding?

andyfraser

Über Member
I've been wanting to get one for a while now but I'm afraid I'm gonna turn into one of these vigilantes.
I make mistakes, I know that so would like to review situations to see what I could have done better. It could have come in handy with a recent taxi driver situation as well.
Be interesting to hear from fellow commuters who do use them and whether or not (truthfully) it has changed them.
I haven't got round to buying a camera because I'm worried I'd got mad. There are a few times when being about to send footage to a coach company or the police would make me feel like I'm doing something positive. I can then see me 6 months down the line shouting out registration numbers for the benefit of YouTube.

Sharky

Guru
I'm not convinced yet. A camera would be good evidence in an actual accident, but the evidence could be used against you. All these films we keep seeing of near misses and confrontations, sometimes amusing, but I don't think really adds. I just wonder what is going to happen with the irate driver who has just been pushed into a confrontation by a cyclist. Will he be more tolerant with the next cyclist he sees, or will he treat all cyclists with increased contempt?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No it doesn't automatically turn you into a nob, don't worry.

But from my own personal experience,(I filmed my rides as a black box recorder) it does make a difference to the enjoyment of riding.

I filmed my rides for s few years and eventually found that reviewing others mistakes kind of made me "hang on" to the negative experience, as opposed to just moving on .

I chose to never post negative videos on the web as I just thought it was unbalanced, after all no one posts hours and hours of enjoyable trouble free riding.

I personally only film important rides so that I can make highlight videos like my lejog ride, now and never commute with my go pro anymore.

Ps the constant downloading, reviewing and editing is proper time consuming and I don't have time for that so used to just delete everything as soon as I arrived at my destination, after a few years of non incident, I just stopped.

Sara_H

Guru
I find the opposite.
When I started using a camera I found I was less likely to tut, shake my head or in any other way react negatively to errant driver behaviour as I know that if the footage was ever viewed such reactions are likely to be used as mitigation by and on behalf of the errant drivers in question.
I've never posted any footage any where of close passes etc, I literally only have it in case something happens.
Sods law of course that the day I did get knocked over I didn't have it on.

AndyRM

XOXO
To answer your question: No.

I read an article the other day about the perception of danger. Changed my thinking about the use of cameras.

Turbo

Clueless member
I find the opposite.
When I started using a camera I found I was less likely to tut, shake my head or in any other way react negatively to errant driver behaviour as I know that if the footage was ever viewed such reactions are likely to be used as mitigation by and on behalf of the errant drivers in question.
I've never posted any footage any where of close passes etc, I literally only have it in case something happens.
+1

AndyRM

XOXO
You care to elaborate?

So originally I viewed those 'close pass' (etc) videos online with disdain as I didn't think they were close at all, without even considering what others might perceive as close.

The article I read (I think it was in Cycling Plus) made me realise that folk react in different ways on the road, and I suppose that cameras make them feel a bit more secure.

.....and again. You only see the videos of people who out up videos. They are a subsection of people with cameras. Some only use them to report dabgerous driving rather than creating conflicts for YouTube hits.

Therefore your view is weighted by a subsection of users as by definition, the larger group do not all post videos.

I find the opposite.

Perhaps we should add cameras to the Helmets and Headphones ghetto as there is a biased and immovable view?

I agree with the above.

The only footage I keep is where the driving is unacceptable and the video is used to demonstrate this

I have a 100% hit rate where I have used video the driver has either been censured, warned, sacked or the matter dealt with by the Police

If the biased few consider dealing with dangerous driving in an effective, calm and non-confrontational manner being a nob, then I am guilty!

Top Bottom