does using a camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I think a lot of people who don't think some close passes on youtube are close should get a camera wait for a close pass (unless you are one of those magic cyclists who has never had a close pass) then have a look at the footage, you'll see the wide angle makes it look less close than it was.

I think the visible camera has prevented some dangerous driving, I had a car full of scallies drive really well behind me on a narrow 20 road where I was avoiding the doorzone when they did pass one said "is that a gopro mate?" when I said yes he said "told ya" to the driver, they then sped off at way over the speed limit on the white line around a blind bend.

Companies whose drivers drive dangerously have acted on footage, the police very rarely do.

But the main reason I record my ride is that the guy who knocked me off got away with it because no-one got his plate and that wasn't happening again.

crazyjoe101

Getting a camera helped me improve my riding re safety a lot. I'm no more of a nob than I was before, if anything it's calmed me down a lot.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I went through a phase when I thought a camera might be quite fun but decided against getting one. I didn't want to get on the bike and be reminded that I might be a victim of something nasty everytime I set the camera rolling.

Last edited:

S.Giles

I didn't want to get on the bike and be reminded that I might be a victim of something nasty every time I set the camera rolling.
I think that is exactly the effect it would have on me. That's one of the reasons I won't be getting one any time soon.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think that is exactly the effect it would have on me. That's one of the reasons I won't be getting one any time soon.
Not wanting to derail this thread into the helmet debate but, I recently had to buy a helmet to participate in an event I had entered without reading the small print. After the event, the helmet was consigned to the back of a dusty cupboard for the next time I mistakenly signed up to a compulsory helmet event. I then headed out on the MTB helmetless a week later and promptly fell off while attempting to ride down an old flight of steep, irregularly shaped stone steps. I badly smashed my right knee and I am still walking funny two weeks later but didn't bang my head. I'm not sure what my point is, maybe that shlt happens anyway, or perhaps I wouldn't have fallen and hurt my knee if I was wearing a helmet?

classic33

Leg End Member
Not wanting to derail this thread into the helmet debate but, I recently had to buy a helmet to participate in an event I had entered without reading the small print. After the event, the helmet was consigned to the back of a dusty cupboard for the next time I mistakenly signed up to a compulsory helmet event. I then headed out on the MTB helmetless a week later and promptly fell off while attempting to ride down an old flight of steep, irregularly shaped stone steps. I badly smashed my right knee and I am still walking funny two weeks later but didn't bang my head. I'm not sure what my point is, maybe that shlt happens anyway, or perhaps I wouldn't have fallen and hurt my knee if I was wearing a helmet?
Not all cameras are helmet mounted. The GoPro has a chest mount available.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Automatically turn you into a nob?
I've been wanting to get one for a while now but I'm afraid I'm gonna turn into one of these vigilantes.
I make mistakes, I know that so would like to review situations to see what I could have done better. It could have come in handy with a recent taxi driver situation as well.
Be interesting to hear from fellow commuters who do use them and whether or not (truthfully) it has changed them.

Reading some of the comments and reflecting on this I would revise my initial comment and say...it really depends on you.

And your personality

In your heart, if you know you are the type of person to get upset quickly, angry perhaps, then a camera is probably not a good idea...and posting footage to you tube an even worse one.

But if like some on here, you would find the review of footage both educational and a little cathartic, maybe helping you become a better rider and shaking off negativity, then perhaps you are an ideal candidate for a camera.

So, back to you really, do YOU think it will turn you into a nob?

OP
OP
dr snuggles
Reading some of the comments and reflecting on this I would revise my initial comment and say...it really depends on you.

And your personality

In your heart, if you know you are the type of person to get upset quickly, angry perhaps, then a camera is probably not a good idea...and posting footage to you tube an even worse one.

But if like some on here, you would find the review of footage both educational and a little cathartic, maybe helping you become a better rider and shaking off negativity, then perhaps you are an ideal candidate for a camera.

So, back to you really, do YOU think it will turn you into a nob?
On the whole I'm actually quite laid back about incidents. I do have my under the breath comments but that is usually that as far as I'm concerned. I did have a run in recently and reacted badly but it was an extreme case of stupidity which could have cost me my life and the Police were involved and completely understood my reaction.
I genuinely believe it will help me to improve my riding by reviewing riding position etc. and I certainly do not intend to start posting the footage online, that is definitely not in my nature. I would like to have the opportunity to use it in a similar case to my recent run in though but not by posting it online which, in my opinion, is pretty pointless.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
Sorry to confirm your suspicion Snuggles but Yes! Think about it. I know there are apparently convincing arguments on both sides but what would you think of someone who wore a camera on their shoulder or hat when out and about, walking around town?
Do you honestly think it is the same thing though? Yes I would find people walking around with cameras pretty nobbish but we are riding on busy roads at busy times!
I would like to think it could be educational for me as well as the knowledge that should anything happen then I have a good chance of having some evidence against the "I couldn't see him" and other get out clauses you generally get.

BenM

Veteran
I got a camera (well two in the end) for my own fun and enjoyment - learning to fall off ride a recumbent bike si a fun experience and I wanted some record of it - so there are videos of tumbles, some scally threatening me with death if I didn't give him a go and another scally deciding that a chain ring to the crotch wasn't in his days list of enjoyable things... there is even one video of a close pass - three cars passing very close to a pinch point, first two get by easily the third waits until the pinch point and just squeezes past. meh. Stopped using them becuase the first one broke and the second was just a bit of a PITA. Can't justify another so won't be getting one unless things change.

IMHO if, as mentioned above, you are likely to be a nob anyway then a camera will enhance your nobbishness... otherwise its just there.

B.

Top Bottom