does using a camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
Sorry to confirm your suspicion Snuggles but Yes! Think about it. I know there are apparently convincing arguments on both sides but what would you think of someone who wore a camera on their shoulder or hat when out and about, walking around town?
What if they were walking around, idk, Syria?

Sharky

Guru
This thread has been very enlightening and there have been many informative and sensible examples of how to use a camera.

In my case I have had one situation where there would have been a valid case for a camera. I was taken out by a car, knocked out and air lifted to hospital where I woke up. Of the scene, I could remember nothing, but the were plenty of witnesses and I was compensated in due course, so the absence of a camera was not significant. A few months after the accident, I got back to cycling with no real problems and no fear of traffic. I had no memory of the crash. My thoughts now are that if I had filmed the accident, I would have a permanent and continual reminder of what happened and I am not sure if I would have had the confidence to even get back on the bike.
A still darker thought I have, if the outcome had been a bit worse, my family would have been left with that permanent reminder and would have blamed me for riding too fast or without care and could deter future generations from taking up the sport.

So for the time being, I will remain camera free.

Happy Cycling
Keith

Custom24

Über Member
I have two, front and back on the bike. Initially I had one on my helmet but found it too heavy, so I went with the front/ back instead. One I did that, I pretty much forgot about them. I mean, I charge them and turn them on, etc, but I don't think about them as I ride along. I also have large sd cards in them (the largest mine take is 32gb, and these are about a tenner for branded ones) and I have them set to rolling delete, so I never look at footage unless there is a particular reason.

This thread has been very enlightening and there have been many informative and sensible examples of how to use a camera.

In my case I have had one situation where there would have been a valid case for a camera. I was taken out by a car, knocked out and air lifted to hospital where I woke up. Of the scene, I could remember nothing, but the were plenty of witnesses and I was compensated in due course, so the absence of a camera was not significant. A few months after the accident, I got back to cycling with no real problems and no fear of traffic. I had no memory of the crash. My thoughts now are that if I had filmed the accident, I would have a permanent and continual reminder of what happened and I am not sure if I would have had the confidence to even get back on the bike.
A still darker thought I have, if the outcome had been a bit worse, my family would have been left with that permanent reminder and would have blamed me for riding too fast or without care and could deter future generations from taking up the sport.

Happy Cycling
Keith

....... or on a positive note, witnesses are not always available, or reliable. The video could have enabled the prosecution of the driver who put you there?

How many times do we read of a cycle accident (especially hit and run) where a camera could have made the prosecution so very simple, and answered a lot of questions?

Would a family not be better off knowing what actually happened than having to guess?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Happy Cycling
Keith

Good post.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Was watching The History Channel last night. Hitler had a helmet cam. Say no more.
hitler also wore shores. say no more.

hitler-on-a-snow-sled_o_322858.jpg

Mile195

Veteran
My camera, as a secondary function, could be used in the event of an accident or hit-and-run to prove who was at fault.

However, its primary function is to show my other half all the cute dogs I saw on my way into work, the occasional Classic Car that deserved a second look, and any talent that I saw walking along the pavement and didn't have time to ogle properly at the time.

I find that most bad driving doesn't wind me up that much because I spot it in advance. Therefore I'm rarely angry enough to bother doing anything with the footage, and even when I think I am, by the time I get home it's dissipated to the point that I think "I'll do something about it later" and then never do.

Like others have said, having a camera doesn't make you a nob. Being a nob with your camera makes you a nob.

Kookas

Über Member
Experienced, or focused on?

I know I have never had my life put in danger on foot (well, except by cars, funnily enough). Plenty of times on the bike.

Ah, we can all window shop... Provided you don't handle the merchandise...

That's kind of disgusting, to be honest... there's a difference between thinking someone looks attractive and recording them on camera for later.

Last edited:

Mile195

Veteran
I know I have never had my life put in danger on foot (well, except by cars, funnily enough). Plenty of times on the bike.

That's kind of disgusting, to be honest... there's a difference between thinking someone looks attractive and recording them on camera for later.
Jeeeeeezzzz....no need to take things so literally! it's all in jest - I don't REALLY keep some kind of weird stash of old camera footage!... Note to self - immature schoolboy humour is probably more amusing when said, rather than written!

Last edited:
Top Bottom