does using a camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dr snuggles
Been using mine for a while now and it's having the desired effect all round I reckon, shows how you shouldn't react, allows you to review road positioning as well as catching nobbers doing nobbish things. I've only had one incident where I could easily have reported the driver but because my initial reaction was a disgrace and in my view inflammatory I didn't.
Glad I got mine.

crazyjoe101

It does and it makes you realize what a dick you sound like as well!
I know, I used to watch some things back and cringe. I'm much calmer now which is good I think.

Tizme

Veteran
I bought mine about 18 months ago after deliberating for quite a while following a few close passes on my commute. What finally persuaded me to get one were the 2 incidents within 3 days of each other. The first was riding home from work, I was aware of a noise behind me and glanced around, 2 vehicles behind, a black car and a builders-type pick up. The black turned off and I assumed the second one was full of his mates and they were shouting their goodbyes. How wrong can you be!! The next thing I was aware of was the passenger door beside me and the driver matching my speed, with the passengers face about 6" from mine, swearing and shouting that if I didn't get off the road he was going to kill me. Luckily I was turning off about 50 metres up the road, so I ignored him (and his mate in the open back, who was kneeling over the cab to add his 2p worth). I turned off they went straight on, but realising I they had lost me the driver reversed back and followed me down the road. I saw them coming and hopped off my bike and legged it across the road, thinking that I had at least the traffic coming in the other direction to make them keep their distance. Wrong again, the pick up swung across the road, narrowly missing a car coming in the other direction so that the passenger could lean across the driver and continue to shout ans swear at me. The driver only drove off when he realised I had my phone in my hand and had just asked the operator to put me through to the Police. After the had driven off, again swerving to avoid oncoming traffic, a motorcyclist and car stopped to check that I was okay, the bike said he was certain they were going to kill me.
The second incident was on my way to work, head down and struggling up hill I glanced up and saw a car heading towards me at reasonable speed, followed by white van man and another car. Luckily for me I was kept an eye on the traffic heading towards me as white van man decided to pull out and overtake, he even waved to me as I cycled on to the grass verge to avoid him, as I attempted to get off the verge the driver of the car behind the van decided it had to be clear if the van had overtaken and I ended up back on the grass.
In both instances the Police were either unable to take action (not enough mobile patrols in my area for the first incident) or just not interested (no witnesses to the second). At least with a camera the Police would have had video evidence to find the drivers.
That is why I decided to get a camera, if that has made me a nob, so be it, the camera records on a loop, so unless something drastic happens I don't even look at it, but if I end up dead in a ditch at least someone will hopefully look at the video and my family will might get justice.

There's been many a time where I wish I'd had footage of my close shaves, to a) scare the driver b) actually send to the police when a bus driver has been involved,I've had one off duty driver try to side swipe me off the road a few years back.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
To be honest I turned in to a bit of a nob when I got my camera 2 years ago. In fact I'm probably still a bit of a nob now, but better a nob on a bike than a nob driving a ton of metal at 30mph. In my experience the cameras I use cause more positives then negatives. The amount of drivers, passengers, children and other cyclists who have waved at my camera is some what up lifting.

DrLex

merely the moocher
^_^
I knew it wouldn't take long for that response...

motorbiker records a cyclist asking him to keep the ASL clear:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_fVLkN8qu8

weirdly, he's edited the clip to leave out how he arrived in the ASL. So we don't see what the cyclist sees. Predictably his mates post a load of homophobic abuse and threats of violence, and the uploader deletes any comments that ask why the clip's edited. Deliberately stirring up hatred, in other words.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be honest I turned in to a bit of a nob when I got my camera 2 years ago. In fact I'm probably still a bit of a nob now, but better a nob on a bike than a nob driving a ton of metal at 30mph. In my experience the cameras I use cause more positives then negatives. The amount of drivers, passengers, children and other cyclists who have waved at my camera is some what up lifting.
Oh dear, I'd feel a bit vulnerable venturing out in a car that weighed only a ton.

Roxy641

I have been thinking of getting a camera to film my cycle journeys. I've had some near misses while cycling ie. nearly car-doored, pedestians just walking out in front of me without looking, cars that come a bit to close for me (and to think, I hardly know them).

vickster

Legendary Member
I have been thinking of getting a camera to film my cycle journeys. I've had some near misses while cycling ie. nearly car-doored, pedestians just walking out in front of me without looking, cars that come a bit to close for me (and to think, I hardly know them).
To avoid close doorings, just ride further out :smile: peds, get a bell and a loud voice (I can't see what a camera would do to stop them) :smile: close passes are unpleasant (you say a bit) but a camera won't stop them IMO

I'd spend money on organisation membership first, which provides third party indemnity (in case you damage a ped, another cyclist or car) and legal cover in case you or your bike gets damaged. British Cycling membership comes with the added benefit of Halfords discount for example :smile:

Last edited:

Roxy641

Thanks Vickster,

all good points. One of the first things I was reminded of when I started cycling again was about the need to move further out, which I now do.

The camera/video would more be something that I could use in case I needed proof of an accident etc. Would also be nice to have a record of
some of the nice journeys I've had where car/lorry drivers do give us enough room. So, it can be a postitive thing as well as highlighting negative
thigns that happen.

To avoid close doorings, just ride further out :smile: peds, get a bell and a loud voice (I can't see what a camera would do to stop them) :smile: close passes are unpleasant (you say a bit) but a camera won't stop them IMO

I'd spend money on organisation membership first, which provides third party indemnity (in case you damage a ped or car) and legal cover in case you or your bike gets damaged. British Cycling membership comes with the added benefit of Halfords discount for example :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough. If wearing on helmet, make sure everything is compatible (and check the helmet info too about attaching things to it)

Plenty of threads on which camera

I got knocked off by a close pass (wing mirror hit my handlebar), no proof needed, driver/insurers quickly admitted liability (claim still to settle 2.5 years on though due to ongoing ails)

Top Bottom