does using a camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
Jeeeeeezzzz....no need to take things so literally! it's all in jest - I don't REALLY keep some kind of weird stash of old camera footage!... Note to self - immature schoolboy humour is probably more amusing when said, rather than written!

Well, now I feel bad! Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Mile195

Veteran
Well, now I feel bad! Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Easily done. Context sometimes gets a bit lost in written form!..

The bit about classic cars is occasionally true though... Saw this beauty the other day and took a quick screenshot for my other half before I cleared the memory cards:
vlcsnap-2015-02-27-12h40m16s203.png
vlcsnap-2015-02-27-12h45m33s2.png

crazyjoe101

Easily done. Context sometimes gets a bit lost in written form!..

The bit about classic cars is occasionally true though... Saw this beauty the other day and took a quick screenshot for my other half before I cleared the memory cards: View attachment 81380 View attachment 81381

That's disgusting, there's a difference between looking at classic cars and filming them for later! :laugh:

Sorry.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I got my camera after I got assaulted by a nobber passenger in a car. He spat some liquid in my face while I waited for them to pass on a double parked street. I have recorded some daft and dangerous things but am always careful to make sure I follow the rules of the road which I do anyway, cam or no cam. I try to make little videos showing how pleasant and advantageous cycling can be, the places that you can get to without a car, and to show off Bristol and it's surroundings which are great to cycle around. I try not to be too negative in my videos and to be honest, most of the time nothing happens!. At other times, good old techno-problems and Sod's Law prevent you getting the shot you'd like. It happened this past monday evening as I was riding home up the Bristol Railway Path. The camera ran out of juice on the way back, but as I was on the path, I thought it wouldn't matter. Then two guys on motorbikes suddenly shoot across the path in ront of me, having come down the access ramp and using the path as a short cut to the adjacent road. Missed it!:ohmy:.

I have noted that most hits on my videos seem to involve conflict but I don't go out of my way to create any. That being said, incidents can get the adrenalin flowing and in the heat of the moment...etc. However, I have learnt to stay calm. When you think about it, the danger of catching yourself out doing anything stupid encourages you to cycle properly.

If anything happens, near misses etc, I hopefully have it on video if needed as evidence for the police. But as I said earlier, most of the time, nowt 'appens:blush:. But I have noticed that some drivers do give me an extra wide berth when they spot the camera on my helmet. Nearly all of my videos get downloaded and deleted!.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
I got my camera after I got assaulted by a nobber passenger in a car. He spat some liquid in my face while I waited for them to pass on a double parked street. I have recorded some daft and dangerous things but am always careful to make sure I follow the rules of the road which I do anyway, cam or no cam. I try to make little videos showing how pleasant and advantageous cycling can be, the places that you can get to without a car, and to show off Bristol and it's surroundings which are great to cycle around. I try not to be too negative in my videos and to be honest, most of the time nothing happens!. At other times, good old techno-problems and Sod's Law prevent you getting the shot you'd like. It happened this past monday evening as I was riding home up the Bristol Railway Path. The camera ran out of juice on the way back, but as I was on the path, I thought it wouldn't matter. Then two guys on motorbikes suddenly shoot across the path in ront of me, having come down the access ramp and using the path as a short cut to the adjacent road. Missed it!:ohmy:.

I have noted that most hits on my videos seem to involve conflict but I don't go out of my way to create any. That being said, incidents can get the adrenalin flowing and in the heat of the moment...etc. However, I have learnt to stay calm. When you think about it, the danger of catching yourself out doing anything stupid encourages you to cycle properly.

If anything happens, near misses etc, I hopefully have it on video if needed as evidence for the police. But as I said earlier, most of the time, nowt 'appens:blush:. But I have noticed that some drivers do give me an extra wide berth when they spot the camera on my helmet. Nearly all of my videos get downloaded and deleted!.
Great post
I've actually taken the plunge. I'm waiting for it to be delivered but first signs of nobbishness from me and its getting sold!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Funnily enough, I captured my first "incident" this morning when fairly aggressively left hooked. I did wonder whether to edit the footage down this morning and post it, but won't because:
1) On reflection, my road positioning wasn't as assertive as it should have been on that particular roundabout
2) I can't be arsed.
When it comes to cameras, I'm very much of the "I Can't Be Arsed" camp. It takes me long enough to find all my kit and get ready for my commute without having a blooming camera to p#ss about with.

RedRider

Pulling through
I went through a phase when I thought a camera might be quite fun but decided against getting one. I didn't want to get on the bike and be reminded that I might be a victim of something nasty everytime I set the camera rolling.
Me too. Each to their own and I respect other choices but I don't want to think 'just in case something shoot happens' every time I hop on a bike. #happygoluckynobber

Panter

Just call me Chris...
When it comes to cameras, I'm very much of the "I Can't Be Arsed" camp. It takes me long enough to find all my kit and get ready for my commute without having a blooming camera to p#ss about with.

That's why I gave up on it last time, although that one needed charging after every trip so it had to be charged at work and again at home every single day.
The new one (coupled with a far shorter commute) does a day and a half, plus it cycles the footage so starts overwriting old film automatically so that I don't have the faff of keep deleting old footage.
Even so, it's still extra hassle taking the thing out of the case to charge it and then re-fitting it so I suspect I won't keep it up for very long.

I only got it after someone tried to knock me off the bike a couple of Months ago, but I wanted one anyway to use as a stills camera on the kayak and for fishing. MTBing etc so it won't be wasted.
What would make it really easy if it had some sort of wireless charger that could just clip over the whole assembly when the bike's slung in the shed in the evening that would charge it over night.
I'm the same as you in that although I've been cycle commuting every day now since October, for some reason it still seems to take me forever to get everything together in the mornings!

LeeM

Regular
I read this thread because I got "brake checked" last week, and braking myself to avoid hitting the car sent me over the handlebars, and I'm still in a fair bit of pain. I've never really considered a camera, but this lady was (probably pretending) to film me with her mobile as she overtook me, and then claimed she didn't slow down afterwards (which she did, suddenly and with no reason).

A witness behind saw me hit the back of her car, and very much supported my point of view, but the Police attitude was that there wasn't really anything that they could do, even with a witness, as there was no proof she slowed down, or used her mobile. As it is, I've got a couple of hundred quids worth of ripped clothing, helmet and glasses to replace, plus a bit of minor damage to the bike.

I had no way to prove what happened, so I got a good beating and she will inevitably get away with it scot free.

I think the approach many here have suggested here makes sense - record it, then delete it unless you need it. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny the idea that it's equivalent to pedestrians carrying a camera, there's generally a near miss with a car every time I go for a ride. I have no intention of posting these on Youtube or anywhere else, as the quicker they're forgotten the better, but we can't ignore the fact that riding our bikes is significantly more dangerous than walking around.

Funnily enough, the idea of the camera came from the copper who attended the scene. I told him the driver was using her mobile, and asked why he couldn't check that straight away. He said "sorry sir, we're not allowed. My brother-in-law's a cyclist, and he's got a camera himself, maybe you should do the same, it would be really helpful in these kinds of cases"....

crazyjoe101

On my bike I have experienced several near misses of a kind which just do not happen when out and about off a bike in day to day life. Had any of these not been near misses, the camera would no doubt make insurance claims and or dealings with the police much easier with a greater chance of success. In fact footage from the camera allowed the police to prove an offense had occured once.
The camera also acts to stop me doing stupid things, it would be quite embarrasing if I recorded myself getting crushed by a turning lorry because I wanted to save a few seconds. Not to mention that it can protect you in any cases where people would want to wrongly accuse you of being at fault.

Top Bottom