does using a camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Sorry to confirm your suspicion Snuggles but Yes! Think about it. I know there are apparently convincing arguments on both sides but what would you think of someone who wore a camera on their shoulder or hat when out and about, walking around town?
And the scenarios are even comparable?

Sharing space with cars able to maim or kill and sharing space with pedestrians is somewhat different. I record my commute, but have never downloaded any of the images. For me, it is purely an insurance system, having had some very close ones.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And the scenarios are even comparable?

Sharing space with cars able to maim or kill and sharing space with pedestrians is somewhat different. I record my commute, but have never downloaded any of the images. For me, it is purely an insurance system, having had some very close ones.
I reckon it's just as possible/likely that I could be robbed, assaulted, accidently bumped into, fall down a missing manhole, tripped, run over when crossing a road or hit on the back of the head by a badly kicked football as it is that I will be maimed/killed by a fellow road user, so surely camera footage would be useful in proving fault in any of these instances?

gavintc

Guru
I reckon it's just as possible/likely that I could be robbed, assaulted, accidently bumped into, fall down a missing manhole, tripped, run over when crossing a road or hit on the back of the head by a badly kicked football as it is that I will be maimed/killed by a fellow road user, so surely camera footage would be useful in proving fault in any of these instances?
If you feel that way, you can get small cameras which will attach to a headband.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Perhaps I worded that badly? I feel the probabilities may be similar but I do not think it would be useful or necessary to carry a camera to capture these possible incidents, doing that would make me a nob.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Rest assured if people felt as threatened whilst walking around towns as they do when cycling people would wear cameras, cameras are a reaction to the problem of cars driven dangerously around vulnerable road users.

And if anyone of those things happened to you I'm sure you would look to see if there was a CCTV camera near you, and would hope that the police might take it seriously.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Automatically turn you into a nob?
I've been wanting to get one for a while now but I'm afraid I'm gonna turn into one of these vigilantes.
I make mistakes, I know that so would like to review situations to see what I could have done better. It could have come in handy with a recent taxi driver situation as well.
Be interesting to hear from fellow commuters who do use them and whether or not (truthfully) it has changed them.

I did touch on this in another thread actually. I've just started using a camera again, I first dabbled with one a couple of Years ago but quickly got bored keep charging the thing up etc.
When I first used one, I did feel a little bit of bad attitude from it for some odd reason, almost as if, at times, I'd be willing something to happen just because I was in a position to capture it.
I don't want to be criticized/appraised on the strength of that, just being honest that I did notice an effect. It was, however, small and I modified my behaviour appropriately and I don't feel that it changed either my riding, or perception of ,my riding. in the end.

This time, it's made absolutely no difference, maybe because of last time?
I think it was summed up perfectly above, if you're of that persuasion, then, yes, it may well exacerbate that otherwise it will make no difference.

Funnily enough, I captured my first "incident" this morning when fairly aggressively left hooked. I did wonder whether to edit the footage down this morning and post it, but won't because:
1) On reflection, my road positioning wasn't as assertive as it should have been on that particular roundabout
2) I can't be arsed.

crazyjoe101

I've experienced far more aggresive / dangerously bad driving whilst cycling than I have all other threats from people whilst out and about on foot.
More interesting stuff happens whilst riding in my experience. I would wager that a lot of this is down to location, riding style, frequency and maybe even 'luck'.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Most threats (that are not cars) you get whilst walking are nowhere near as dangerous as a badly driven motor vehicle, and the most common threats while walking around are generally from poorly driven cars anyway, mounting kerbs, ignoring zebra crossings and red lights etc.

Last edited:

crazyjoe101

Experienced, or focused on?
Experienced.

After most rides there's nothing negative in the footage worth looking at again.

Most drivers are competent enough to be OK most of the time.
Quite a few are good/great.
A smaller minority are totally ****.

As for "focused on", for me it's hard not to notice particularly good or bad drivers as they break the second on second norm...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Someone mention Doe
upload_2015-3-2_13-18-17.png

OP
OP
dr snuggles
Been excellent to read all of your opinions so thanks to everyone for that. I think I'm gonna go for it. I'm convinced I'll use it as intended and not become any more of a nob.
Just got to decide on which one now.

Don;t be surprised what can take photos these days. My car has started taking selfies....usually of my flying along the motorway.

OT...

We had a Polish lass working with us and after a few weeks had gone back to Poland in order to pick up Husband and car.

On her first day back she asked me why we took pictures of cars?

I explained the concept of the speed camera

Her reply was that there were a lot of photos taken of her car!

Top Bottom