does using a camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It doesn't actually make the rider any more secure though.

It does!

There are a number of times where stupid moves have been prevented by the camera.

Classic example the other night approaching a set of red lights.

In "primary" and a car starts to force it's way past an inch away from the right wheel.

Smile, point out camera and the driver suddenly changes their mind and decides to wait in an orderly manner

Same with a local taxi firm.

Had two of their drivers fined or issued with penalty points due to stupid overtakes at a pinch point near their office

Word got around that I have a cemara nad will report dangerous driving..... amazing how careful and courteous they can be

So yes a camera CAN make you safer

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I've used a bikecam for several years, and have posted online exactly one example of stupid driving and made exactly one complaint based on camera footage.

To me, a bikecam has two benefits. First, when you are on the wrong end of bad driving, you know you have the power to embarrass them on YouTube or report them should you wish. That enables me to simply shrug it off and not let it spoil my ride.

Second, and more importantly, you can enjoy looking back on some fun rides.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I find the opposite.
When I started using a camera I found I was less likely to tut, shake my head or in any other way react negatively to errant driver behaviour as I know that if the footage was ever viewed such reactions are likely to be used as mitigation by and on behalf of the errant drivers in question.
I've never posted any footage any where of close passes etc, I literally only have it in case something happens.
Sods law of course that the day I did get knocked over I didn't have it on.
If you are replying to mine then to be clear...I'm not suggesting a camera makes you ACT negatively, in the moment.

I'm saying it makes you hang on to negativity.

reviewing footage to see if you were in the right, prooving you were right for sure (you knew you were already) and getting upset all over again...hours after the incident has passed.

Then worse still, posting it and having others contribute toward an ever more growing negativity.

I found the camera offered too much opportunity for me to revisit stuff that I would have just shrugged off...and do today, that isn't really dangerous or bad...or deliberate.

Imagine having one record every moment of your life, every rude person in the street, every disagreement, row, poor experience. Then reviewing all that again each night.

Drive you mad.

If you are recording for a cause, a project or perhaps as @gaz does, to try and educate, then I get it but In General, I found it a burden...emotionally.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
I find the opposite.
When I started using a camera I found I was less likely to tut, shake my head or in any other way react negatively to errant driver behaviour as I know that if the footage was ever viewed such reactions are likely to be used as mitigation by and on behalf of the errant drivers in question.
I've never posted any footage any where of close passes etc, I literally only have it in case something happens.
Sods law of course that the day I did get knocked over I didn't have it on.
I would also like to think that I could use it to look back on any incidents where I reacted badly in an attempt to learn how to deal with things in a more sensible manner.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
.....and again. You only see the videos of people who out up videos. They are a subsection of people with cameras. Some only use them to report dabgerous driving rather than creating conflicts for YouTube hits.

Therefore your view is weighted by a subsection of users as by definition, the larger group do not all post videos.
I wouldn't be posting videos online unless it was a question regarding my own riding on a site like this.

I held off buying a camera at first mainly due to the cost to quality ratio and a little bit not wanting it to affect my riding. Since cost to quality ceased to be an issue and I've bought a camera. I've found I was completely wrong on the latter; most rides are deleted but it actually lets me draw back on some of the positives of rides; skies, views, wildlife encounters etc and mine also syncs with GPS so hopefully captures a feel of exhilaration too. If it captures bad driving/cycling so be it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
.....and again. You only see the videos of people who out up videos. They are a subsection of people with cameras. Some only use them to report dabgerous driving rather than creating conflicts for YouTube hits.

Therefore your view is weighted by a subsection of users as by definition, the larger group do not all post videos.
And not all of us that upload to youtube do it for hits.

The other aspect is the bizarre assumption that everything needs to be public

We all make mistakes, and review footage ... this is known as reflection in professional circles

I know that I have reviewed footage and thought that I could have done better

However once that is done then it is deleted...... I could write to myself and point out that I could have done better, but to be quite honest it does not have any purpose

There is no real difference between reviewing the footage and thinking it was a silly mistake on the part of the driver, or understanding why it happened and dismissing it in the same way as I consider my errors

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm saying it makes you hang on to negativity.
Nope, it's the exact opposite in my experience.

Before, if someone did something stupid, I might still be annoyed by it even after the ride. Knowing I have the footage, and could use it if I want to (ie. have the power to do something about it), enables me to forget about it almost immediately. Then later, because I've been able to let it go right away, I don't actually do anything with the footage, just delete it when I recharge the camera.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
No it doesn't. You make a conscious choice. When I got mine i decided i was not gonna be a nob, and I'm not
I'm convinced it won't change my outlook but it's priceless for me to read the experiences of others. If I have another incident like a recent one I will use the footage. Just some of the videos I've seen are so blatantly people looking for problems which sometime don't really exist and I wonder is it the camera which has changed them? Does it make you start looking for problems to justify the existence of one? It isn't my intention to post any footage online but if I have one will I feel the need to start doing just that?

spen666

Legendary Member
I have a helmet camera, and use it everyday on my commute.

I have not posted any footage of bad driving. To me it serves little positive purpose to put an individual incident on the internet. If I thought driving was criminal, then I would chose to provide footage to the relevant police authority as they are the ones who would prosecute, not you tube etc.

I use a helmet camera to record evidence in case of an accident so that I can prove the other party was responsible, if that were the case. Fortunately I have not hd the need to use it this way so far.

I have reviewed a number of incidents and have always found that if I had ridden differently, I could have affected the outcome for the better. This may have been by riding more assertively, taking a different line etc.

Finally, as at least one person has said, the mere fact that a 3rd party is aware the incident is being recorded affects their behaviour in a positive way, either making them drive less aggressively or behave in a less aggressive manner etc

Its up to you how you behave, using a camera does not make someone a knob. A knob using a camera is still a knob

buggi

Bird Saviour
I'm convinced it won't change my outlook but it's priceless for me to read the experiences of others. If I have another incident like a recent one I will use the footage. Just some of the videos I've seen are so blatantly people looking for problems which sometime don't really exist and I wonder is it the camera which has changed them? Does it make you start looking for problems to justify the existence of one? It isn't my intention to post any footage online but if I have one will I feel the need to start doing just that?
No it doesn't make you start looking for problems. It's just once you go down the route of uploading to youtube I think its a bit like taking selfies... A bit addictive. I decided that unless I had something worth giving to the police I wasn't going to bother even reviewing my recordings. So far I've only given something to the cops once and they "had words" with the driver. Which I was happy about as I know it was a lapse in concentration rather than malicious. ( It was after 3 malicious incidents that I decided to get it in the first place. )

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It doesnt turn you into a nob. To be a vigilante, you need to be a nob to begin with.

Just remember that the World and his dog are not interesting your near misses on social media sites. Especially when it turns out that you are to blame for them.

Your rides in the country, could be interesting to watch though.

Top Bottom