Dog advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Hi all
My pooch seems to have gone off his food. When I say gone off, I mean he's hardly touching it at all. He's absolutely fine in himself but obviously I'm a tad concerned as he usually has us up by 6.30am to be fed. Is it worth me trying to change his food incase he's simply bored with the current brand.
I'm no stranger to dogs but this seemed weird, Iv never had a dog that's been bored of food before

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Get him checked by a vet. The vet can examine the dog, forum members can't.

young Ed

Veteran
indeed i vote for the vet, could be anything from an upset tummy or just a bit bored of his food to something much more serious
Cheers Ed

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
our bitch bullmastiff was like that, she had just come out of season and didn't eat a meal for 3 weeks, we tried everything, all the food she liked, stuff like tinned tuna and she wouldn't touch it...took her to the vet, put her on tablets for a week, they didn't work so she went back in for a xray to see if anything was going wrong inside her...while being knocked out the found out she had a massive womb infection and while she was out they pretty much took all her lady parts out of her, the vet told us they have never seen an infection this size and it was amazing that she was able to get up and walk about and the main must have been unreal....being off her food for 3 weeks made her lose a lot of weight, she did weigh close to 9 stone so being so big actually helped her a bit...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My Labrador was the same. After a few days he puked up a pair of my Y fronts (the beige one with brown piping) and was right as rain after that.

Of to the Vets you should go.

Beige with. Down piping?

No bloody wonder he was sick!

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Thanks everyone. I'll see what today brings and if no better I'll take him down. He's still lapping up his treats and we gave him some chicken last night which didn't last but a few seconds so I think he's probably telling me he's bored of it

U

User6179

Thanks everyone. I'll see what today brings and if no better I'll take him down. He's still lapping up his treats and we gave him some chicken last night which didn't last but a few seconds so I think he's probably telling me he's bored of it

Who would eat dog food if you could have chicken , I would cut out all the treats .

buggi

Bird Saviour
If its just one meal he's refused he might just not be hungry. Sometimes my dog misses one,I don't worry unless its two she's turned her nose up at. Like, if she refuses in the morning I just cling film it and put it back in the fridge and give it her at lunch time (or get my mum to if I'm at work) If she doesn't eat it at lunch then I would start to get concerned. So I would do that first, don't give him anything more until lunch and then he should be hungry. If not then think about the vet.... However...

Don't forget it's Saturday so go right away only if your vets is open and its going to avoid you a call out charge. If they are open now, get the latest appointment possible today and try to feed your dog 10 min before you leave. If he eats cancel the appt.

buggi

Bird Saviour
O now I see the problem!! No one wants burger when they can have steak, as the saying goes.

You gave him chicken. he's not just gonna eat any old crap now you know!! I can pretty much guarantee your dog is fine (or he wouldn't be eating treats). He just wants fresh chicken! Stop giving him the treats, and give him his dinner at 3pm. He'll be hungry enough to eat burger then.

Top Bottom