dog bite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I would definitely take it further, if only for the future safety of others

Recent events near me (Caerphilly) are an example of what can happen, if you take Bobbies advice and do no more about it. :sad:

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Keep an eye on any wound though as dog's mouths are full of bacteria. A colleague was rather worried about me when a dog drew blood, but it was the dog's claws that got me.

This is something I would have brought up earlier too. When you consider what dogs spend their time with their noses in, licking and sniffing everything in sight, it's something to consider. It just makes me cringe when I see an owner let a dog lick their face. Human saliva is not squeaky clean, either. You can get a nasty infection if someone bites you.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is something I would have brought up earlier too. When you consider what dogs spend their time with their noses in, licking and sniffing everything in sight, it's something to consider. It just makes me cringe when I see an owner let a dog lick their face. Human saliva is not squeaky clean, either. You can get a nasty infection if someone bites you.

Cat bites are the worst though!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Many years ago when I was a postman (with a bike for my main ”walk” ) I do not remember any problem while cycling but there were several houses who got no mail delivery if their dog was outside the house. This was not my initiative but was a standing instruction from the head guy in the sorting office.
Generally the thing to do was make friends with the dog of the house which worked 90% of the time but some were completely unresponsive.
Had a few tyre biters while on two wheels but had problems while on the trike. You cannot just jump off and get behind the machine. Fortunately the owners eventually responded to my threats of violence to their pet but it has been close.

ExBrit

Über Member
I find calling the dog to you and making welcoming gestures confuses it and makes it less aggressive. But I found another interesting option.

There is a ride I used to do near my house that tends to have a lot of bugs in the evening so I bought an electric fly swatter. It looks like a small tennis racquet and has a button that creates a high voltage spark. I rode the ride with this in one hand and had a good old time zapping hundreds of bugs. A dog started to chase me so I pressed the button. The sound of the spark stopped it in its tracks. I think one of those personal defense shock devices would have the same effect. Plus, if the sound doesn't stop the little biter, a 5000 volt shock will. Probably work pretty well on the owner too if needed.

presta

Guru
Not in states that let you openly carry an AK47.

Not all your readers are in the US though.

Reactions: C R

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have one of those tennis racquet fly zappers. My ancient ears can just make out the high pitched sound so it must be quite audible to a dog. Around the house it works on house flies but larger insects such as wasps will fight it and if you take your finger off the button too soon might well fly off, trailing smoke. You might think twice about zapping a wasp anyway, as their numbers are in decline, and they are beneficial insects for pollination and keeping insect pests under control. The zapper has a fine mesh which is shorted out when it contacts something like a fly. As it runs on 2 AA batteries it's harmless to humans. It's a bit too bulky to carry around. I certainly wouldn't take it out while cycling. You might surmise that contact with a cold wet nose might give a dog a small jolt and make it think twice about going for you but if it's aggressive already it might just piss it off even further. In its place, I would certainly be pissed off. Just the sound, or waving it about, might be enough. Most dogs are harmless, at least in the UK. De escalation is always the best solution, but as most of us aren't dog psychologists it's not always possible.

Also, it might be construed as an offensive weapon. You're certainly not allowed to carry a "personal defence shock device" in the UK, a tazer, or even a pepper spray. In the US no doubt you can carry a firearm but you could still end up in bureaucratic hell if things get so bad that you have to shoot someone's dog. If you then had to confront its irate armed owner too... it just gets worse and worse.

OP
OP
davy

davy

The fact is it is a criminal offence, a recordable crime, to be in charge of a dog in a public place which causes injury or fear of injury. That the dog is young, easily excitable, or votes lib dem is utterly, completely irrelevant. It. Is. Simply. A. Crime.

Period.

If it had simply frightened you it might be appropriate, assuming the owner was suitably contrite, to deal with the matter informally by way of a community resolution. Something like a sincere written apology, or an undertaking to take the dog for training an keep it muzzled un public, that sort of thing. A community resolution requires that you agree to it as an outcome, it cannot be thrust upon you as a fait accompli.

However, you were actually attacked and injured by this animal which ups the ante somewhat. This makes a community resolution an inappropriate outcome, unless you feel sorry for the owner and agree to it.

It should be investigated as the crime it is and, assuming the evidence is there, the owner should be interviewed under caution in a police station. If the injury was minor, if its the first time the dog has done such a thing, and (most importantly) the owner makes a full and frank admission then they may be eligible for a disposal by way of a formal police caution.

If it is not a one off, or if the owner refuses to make an admission then (against assuming the evidence supports it) they should be charged and sent to court.

It really does seem that you are being fobbed off by a Bobby that does not understand the law, procedure, current policy, and likes to throw in a bit of jolly victim blaming for good measure. I do wonder if the copper, willingly or subconsciously, thinks you might be a bit soft or easily bamboozled because of your seniority.

yes I did wonder that myself ( age thing ) ...but the person who assessed the dog , didnt meet me....the PC who took my statement did , and commented on how "I didnt look my age"....despite my 76th birthday cards still being on the mantlepiece .....but here in Liverpool this attitude is not uncommon ( perhaps its nation wide ???) thanks for your thoughts

OP
OP
davy

davy

I have one of those tennis racquet fly zappers. My ancient ears can just make out the high pitched sound so it must be quite audible to a dog. Around the house it works on house flies but larger insects such as wasps will fight it and if you take your finger off the button too soon might well fly off, trailing smoke. You might think twice about zapping a wasp anyway, as their numbers are in decline, and they are beneficial insects for pollination and keeping insect pests under control. The zapper has a fine mesh which is shorted out when it contacts something like a fly. As it runs on 2 AA batteries it's harmless to humans. It's a bit too bulky to carry around. I certainly wouldn't take it out while cycling. You might surmise that contact with a cold wet nose might give a dog a small jolt and make it think twice about going for you but if it's aggressive already it might just piss it off even further. In its place, I would certainly be pissed off. Just the sound, or waving it about, might be enough. Most dogs are harmless, at least in the UK. De escalation is always the best solution, but as most of us aren't dog psychologists it's not always possible.

Also, it might be construed as an offensive weapon. You're certainly not allowed to carry a "personal defence shock device" in the UK, a tazer, or even a pepper spray. In the US no doubt you can carry a firearm but you could still end up in bureaucratic hell if things get so bad that you have to shoot someone's dog. If you then had to confront its irate armed owner too... it just gets worse and worse.

I have returned the "legal spray" and for now at least I have settled for a classic , cheap bike pump which will be poking out of my rucksack , handy in the event of a puncture ...or even a yappy hound !!!

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm dubious about the legality of the spray, despite what they say. It doesn't need to be CS, pepper, or PAVA to fall foul of the legislation. The spray only need be a "noxious substance" in order for it to be a S.5.1.b firearm, and its hardly a breath of fresh air if it repels dogs. A water pistol filled with, say, bleach would be a 5.1.b firearm.

All incapacitant sprays are S.5.1.b firearms, and there is no get out clause in the legislation for incapacitant sprays intended for use against dogs.

It might be something that is totally harmless to humans and undetectable by our noses, in which case it would theoretically be OK, as it would not be "a noxious substance". Even so, I wouldn't want to be the one explaining the distinction to a judge.

It would be unlikely to be an offensive weapon - to be an OW an item needs to be adapted (a rolling pin carried in your coat pocket in readiness to use as a weapon) or just intended, ie, simply made as a weapon. I think you'd struggle to class a Canine repellant as an intended weapon, and if you're carrying it to repel dogs and not as a weapon the 'adapted' base isn't covered either. However, its a moot point as a S.5.1.b firearm offence is far worse, you'd be doing well to escape with a suspended sentence if ever found guilty of that.

Fill the bike pump up with sand. As long as you're not intending to use it against a human its not adapted as an offensive weapon.

OP
OP
davy

davy

I'm dubious about the legality of the spray, despite what they say. It doesn't need to be CS, pepper, or PAVA to fall foul of the legislation. The spray only need be a "noxious substance" in order for it to be a S.5.1.b firearm, and its hardly a breath of fresh air if it repels dogs. A water pistol filled with, say, bleach would be a 5.1.b firearm.

All incapacitant sprays are S.5.1.b firearms, and there is no get out clause in the legislation for incapacitant sprays intended for use against dogs.

It might be something that is totally harmless to humans and undetectable by our noses, in which case it would theoretically be OK, as it would not be "a noxious substance". Even so, I wouldn't want to be the one explaining the distinction to a judge.

It would be unlikely to be an offensive weapon - to be an OW an item needs to be adapted (a rolling pin carried in your coat pocket in readiness to use as a weapon) or just intended, ie, simply made as a weapon. I think you'd struggle to class a Canine repellant as an intended weapon, and if you're carrying it to repel dogs and not as a weapon the 'adapted' base isn't covered either. However, its a moot point as a S.5.1.b firearm offence is far worse, you'd be doing well to escape with a suspended sentence if ever found guilty of that.

Fill the bike pump up with sand. As long as you're not intending to use it against a human its not adapted as an offensive weapon.

yes thank for the input....I have returned the spray and feel much happier for having done so...... I will just carry the standard pump poking out of my wee rucksack and be aware that its there in case etc.......there cant be anything which states I cant use that if needed..........but if I came up against the heat who said I shouldnt use my bike as a barrier then who knows LOL

Top Bottom