Dog in the old life yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My hip is fine. It doesnt hurt in use, only aches when im idle for long periods like at night.
Oh you'll be fine if that's all that aches. :laugh:

I don't think I will be walking well tomorrow, and that's from MTB'ing. The 'boss' didn't notice one complete side of my cycling kit covered in mud, nor the bib tights torn at the knee (I'll hide my swolen knee tonight ) - 2 crashes having a little potter round a forest ! :whistle:

Far safer running.

Just remember, bit like when I was walking again after breaking my back, set a target that you can hit, and get back home - e.g. lamp-posts for me back then. :wacko:

sittingbull

Veteran
Well done getting out there!

Hardly surprising you're stiff, it's a shock to the system. I always found stretching helpful (whether pre or post-run is best is debatable but I preferred pre-run). Tight muscles are more likely to go "twang". I generally found it takes 4-6 weeks to reap the benefit of the current exercise. You're establishing a base-line. Be patient :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ive awoken this morning stiffer than Prince Andrew. I think my intention to run today was a bit premature!

Rest today, let the aches past, and back at it tomorrow. Wont be long and ill have hardened up enough to run daily.
I didn't want to say anything, but I knew that would happen! At least, it has to me every time I got back into running after a long break.

If I tried now, I probably wouldn't be able to walk for a week...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Stretching but achievable goals. That way you get the psychological benefit of achieving your target, but the physical benefit of pushing yourself. And as time progresses and your body gets use to its new uses, those goals get longer.
Think of it like your bike. I don't know how much you ride, but if say your typical ride is 10 miles on the flat, most people wouldn't think of doing a lumpy 60 miler without some build up and would be unlikely to do it in 5 mile increments. It's more likely to be 5, then 10, then 15 etc.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thanks for the encouragement team ^_^

I ache very badly now - stepping off a doorstep, or standing up for seated really hurts! But if I have one thing in my favour its psychology, and I am going to treat the pain as a sign of the weakness leaving my body.

Determined to run again tomorrow!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks for the encouragement team ^_^

I ache very badly now - stepping off a doorstep, or standing up for seated really hurts! But if I have one thing in my favour its psychology, and I am going to treat the pain as a sign of the weakness leaving my body.

Determined to run again tomorrow!

You'll be worse tomorrow. It's like the 48 hour gym burn :whistle:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
First run under my belt. That is to say, first stagger as I bloody mindedly determined I would not slow to a walk. 2 miles, 11:56 mile average. Work to do. Back out tomorrow.
Well done goal achieved! Oh hang on you said 5 minute mile not 5 mile per hour.

BTW you haven't got a hope. 5 minute miles are the realm of young fit athletes half your body weight. From what you say about yourself, you, if anything running related, have a sprinters build not a middle-distance build.

That said getting yourself fit is a good thing, but maybe set a more realistic target like 30 minute 5km and build from there.

Your goal is to do a fast mile in 2022 ?
You're just starting back after a 4 year lay off - so you have a long way to go.
The best way to improve is to be consistent.
The best way to be consistent is to avoid injury.

I've seen far too many runners come at the sport like a bull in a china shop and show decent times to begin with but they're injured and out in six months.

You just need to take it steady, listen to your body and build up your miles and lose some timber. There's some interesting calculators that can show you predicted times if you lost X lbs or whatever.

Good luck with it.

Top Bottom