Dog in the old life yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I quit running in 2018 after arthritis in my foot made it too painful. Ballmof the foot, quite common apparently.

Other than fun runs such as the Dog Jog I never competed, but was nevertheless pretty serious about my times. The guy that I started running with in my early 30s was a trainer and he reckoned that with a bit of application I'd have been capable of a sub 4 mile, but despite his urgings I never tried. I regret that now.

So ran, arhritis, pain, stopped, yadda yadda.

But since the Doc put me on meds a few months ago I've been in a lot more comfortable and I asked the Doc on Thursday if he though I could try running again. He was cautious, but the answer was essentially 'yes' if I build into it slowly and back off if it becomes problematic.

So that's what I'm going to do. Well, apart from the take it slowly bit. The mile record for a man of my advanced years is 4:14, and I have set myself the goal for 2022 if doing the mile in 5. Watch this space.

I'm a bloody minded bar steward and relish a challenge, so interesting times ahead.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll be waiting for you to post the 4:* * time in mid-July.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KkoUebbj0o8

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
272lbs, but I can console myself that I do have a gigantic stride. I'll back off the gym a bit and lean out a touch, perhaps get back to about 250. I'll have to show a little discipline with my diet too.
I am currently 86 kg. What's that in imperial...? Er, 190 pounds. I definitely feel a bit heavy for running about.

I haven't run for years because my hips were starting to ache last time I did, but if I got down to my target weight of 79 kg (174 pounds) I might be tempted to give it a go again.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
When I quit running I was about 245, and moved pretty good for a 192cm mesomorph. Short to middle distance I was deadly, even at 49, but the mass does start to tell much above 9 or 10 miles.

Train at altitude, find a sea-level downhill course with a tail-wind and it's still a big "ask".

Maybe it's a wind-up? ;)
No wind up. 5 might be laughably optimistic, but id rather aim high and miss by a bit than aim low and not push myself and fizzle out like a French blockade. Id be ecstatic with 6, deliriously happy with 5:30, but off my nut with joy if I got near 5.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No wind up. 5 might be laughably optimistic, but id rather aim high and miss by a bit than aim low and not push myself and fizzle out like a French blockade. Id be ecstatic with 6, deliriously happy with 5:30, but off my nut with joy if I got near 5.
I understand that. I have a dream of doing the very long (8+km) Cragg Vale climb on my bike in 20 minutes. The fastest I ever did it was just over 23 minutes and I was a lot younger then, and it was before I trashed my lungs with blood clots. I'll stick to the same target, but I would be happy really even to match my younger self's PB. Any improvement on that would be great.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I got cyclists lungs, the ability to mentally zone out quite qucikly, and the stride that comes with a 35 inch inside leg so I do believe my esteemed chums assessment was realistic at the time. However, at that time I was heading for divorce and working shifts so didn't feel I as excited by the potential as I should have done.

Back then I was lifting, but not actively bodybuilding, was about 230.

Chatting to Mrs D, when the normies return to work next week ill go gunting for some decent running trainers. Nothing too expensive because at my weight ill just grind them into the tarmac, but expensive enough that they function properly for the intended purpose.

sittingbull

Veteran
I've "filled out" a little :whistle: (BMI of 25.7) but intend to re-start running after several months break. The leg strength is still there but the recovery takes a little longer (I think we're around the same age).

I believe running is one of the best forms of exercise (better than cycling, but then I'm biased ;)). Plus, as cross training it will help with cycling anyway and is a more efficient use of time to exercise (IMHO). I feel more benefit from a 30 minute run than hours on the bike.

New trainers are a good idea as is running on softer surfaces, parks etc. Take the dog :biggrin:

Stephenite

Membå
I suffer from ball of foot arthritis too. About three months ago i was trying to push through it. Going for a jog on the local running track for 3 to 5 clicks with the intention to build up the speed and condition. But this meant i couldn't walk properly for days after each session. So, that wasn't going anywhere.

I've just given it a rest for three months and, as I'm on my feet most days at work, i've been wearing lightweight walking boots rather than the trainers i'd normally wear. This has helped a lot as it provides support. Things were improving so much that i was beginning to entertain notions of venturing outdoors for a joggle but, today i just got a nasty twinge at the base of the left toe - from out of nowhere. So, it's back to being cautious again, at least for a short while.

Edit to add: OP @Drago good luck.
And i'm 202lbs 6'2 and 53.

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
Good on you for giving it a go Drago, best of luck.

I too have taken up running, albeit with much more modest targets of being able to run a whole 5k without stopping.

Never been a runner other than a few failed attempts years ago.

I'm on the C25K programme, nice steady build up of walk/run/walk/run which builds up over the weeks :okay:

Top Bottom