Dogs on shared paths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
Canal tow paths to be exact, the one between Bath and Bradford on Avon is a cycle path and shared use.

Lots of folk use it without issue, but I just wonder should dogs be kept on a lead on such a pathway?

Thoughts people?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Canal tow paths to be exact, the one between Bath and Bradford on Avon is a cycle path and shared use.

Lots of folk use it without issue, but I just wonder should dogs be kept on a lead on such a pathway?

Thoughts people?

Definition of a dog lead

A length of leather, cloth, rope or chain with an animal that distributes shoot on one end and occasionally, a dog the other.

Of course the turd dispenser should be on a lead, but that means that the owner won't be able to pretend that poochikins isn't having a shoot . If the turd dispenser is allowed off the lead, it can have a shoot whilst behind the owner and said owner can then walk away from it, denying all knowledge.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think cyclist safety is affected more by the level of dog behaviour than the use of a lead.
A well trained dog off a lead should not present problems to anyone. An untrained dog on or off a lead can present all sorts of problems, like running across the path and blocking the progress of other users with the outstretched lead.

david1701

take careful aim for the neck when you hit them, reduces the likelyhood of knocking your front wheel out of true and also guarantees a clean kill.

nb this post was kidding please god no one read it seriously

postman

Legendary Member
I think all dog owners should have a licence for their dogs.Im will shout it out I HATE THE BL==== THINGS.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
Ok, now we've had some replies I'll put some substance behind the question.Cycling back from Bath via the canal path ( something I do pretty often), and as per usual I give priority to pedestrians and slow up near dogs. Personally I love dogs, wouldn't hurt one if I could help it.Anyhow, as per usual the dog walkers are fifty percent letting their dogs off the lead, so I am stop start pretty much the whole 10 miles.I come across a couple with one dog by them on the left verge, and a lovely little yorkie on the right next to the canal. I slow to about 10 mph and go between them and you can guess, the yorkie makes a beeline to the other side. I had no chance to avoid and so kept straight and saw the little fella go right under the front wheel. Big yelp and hobbling dog scurries off fast.I brake and stop within 3 meters and call to the owners, " is he alright?", a snotty " yes thanks" is the reply, to which I retort " keep him on a bloody lead" and ride off.I feel sorry for the dog, obviously hurt, but can't feel at all sorry for the owners.Doubtless they will moan about the yob on a bike who ran over fluffykins, but with at least 20 dogs off the lead every day, it was gonna happen sometime.Love dogs, detest stupid owners!

on the road

Über Member
Because it's a shared path you have to accept that you're going to have to slow down all the time, if you down like it then ride on the road.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
as i said, i do slow down, and I also have a cheery hello for folk, that isnt the point is it?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to cycle on the N Staffs canal towpaths and there were always dogs without leads about. Some owners train their dogs, some don't. Never acually ran a dog over but had a couple of near misses with bounding up labradors. When I walk my dogs on towpaths, I have one or two of mine off lead but they have excellent recall and as soon as I see a bike, I catch them until the bike has passed. If the bike is behind me, if the cyclist rings their bell, I move me and the dogs out of the way.
Manners on both sides required. There are plenty of rude dog owners, mostly with unruly dogs. There are also a few rude cyclists too, blasting along the path without care or attention to any other path users.
A few more owners bagging their poo from the centre of the path, wouldn't go amiss either. I love dogs, I work with dogs. I am not that fond of some of their owners though.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
indeed, I love dogs and hate the fact one got hurt. But it is a shared path, and surely owners know if their dog isn't under control and should ensure it is for its own safety?

on the road

Über Member
But what do you consider to be an out of control dog, one that wonders across the path to smell some dog poo without looking both ways first? What you have to remember is that dogs have minds of their own so will change direction without warning, and the other thing is they don't know that bikes can hurt them, you can't teach a dog that.

Top Bottom