Dogs on shared paths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
*makes dog sound* raaaaaaugh *shakes head*
:laugh:
:rofl:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Yes one of those long leads, owner stands one side of the path, the dog the other, just before cyclist passes dog runs away from owner.

Of course dogs shouldn't be kept on a lead, they need to run around and enjoy themselves. My mutt likes to hurtle about with a 4' stick in his mouth, his hobby seems to be trying to pass me and getting his stick caught up in my legs, I guess cyclist must fear for their spokes
biggrin.gif
He also likes to go in the water about 2 minutes before we get into the car, anyone with a dog must be completely bonkers.
Of course dogs need to run around. It is cruel not to allow them to. The important thing is that it is done in the right places. Open fields, forestrys, mountains NOT shared paths.

on the road

Über Member
If you know that a dog will behave in a given negative way to a given occurance (eg a dog will chase a bike) keeping a dog of a lead in those circumstances means the dog is not under control.
As a rule a dog needs to be under control at all times in a public place either by means of a lead of verbal commands to which the dog will immediatly respond.
I have posted this before and got torn to shreds so lets see this time
EDIT - It is worth pointing I have been involved in Animal Rescue for 20 years and care deeply for all animals.
This is the most sensible post :thumbsup:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Do you make the rules? Dogs are allowed to be off the lead in parks.

Do I make the rules? No the owner of the field does, did you ask them if it was OK to let poochikins run where it wanted to, or do you just make a presumption?

As for the idea that turd dispensers are allowed to be off the lead in parks, I suggest you try reading what some of the park owners think:-

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/docs/dogs/RP_DogsLeafletWEB.PDF
http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2868,4407,6232&parent_directory_id=2865

abo

http://www.stockton.gov.uk/resources/leisure/14776/dogcontrolareasprestonpark/dogwalkingcontrol.pdf

Not that they seem to be enforcing the new rules, if what I saw on Sunday was anything to go by :/

Actually I will make another post, just not a debating one.

Definitions of control: Well, they're open to interpretation but roughly:-

Under Control means - A dog which responds to commands when given, sit, stay, come etc... So generally it can be away from you in those circumstances but must respond when told.

Under Close control - means at heel, ready to sit or lie and if you can't be 100% sure of this, on a lead.

I will add one last thing. Laws and rules are a last lowest common denominator. We revert to them when someone is not acting sensibly, they act as an arbiter in such circumstances. Most of the time we shouldn't need them and most of the time I'd say most of us don't. In most circumstances it's a case of live and let live and then we all rub along nicely. Shared paths in particular, need a lot more live and let live.

david1701

if their joggers with a dog and female like i encountered today i dont mind , mustve hung back and given those girls right way for at least half a mile
thumbsup.png

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Seriously though after a quiet word with a cow farming friend I discovered the slower you go the closer the dogs get to investigate, his advice for dealing with stray dogs is to just hoon it past and they'll not really give a shoot. Then again he did shout 'You've been tangoed' at me when he first saw my orange night riding jersey :tongue:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Did you know that pedestrians have priority on towpaths? (And their dogs??) And you still need a permit to cycle on British Waterways towpaths (except London), and it can be withdrawn if you don't behave yourself? permit Couldn't see anything about dogs on leads, however.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I still believe our place is on the road, I do occasionally use paths, but when I do so I treat the pedestrian or for that matter the dog with the same care and respect that I wish vehicles to show me when I am on the road.

On my Road Bike I ride on roads. On the MTB I will ride on trails which often include shared paths. 99.9% of people I meet have dogs under control or at least are embarrassed if there dog run sin front of me when I am almost track standing. There is always the 0.01% of dog walkers (like cyclists) who believe they have a god given right to allow there dog to do what ever it wishes.

Top Bottom