Dogs on shared paths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
But what do you consider to be an out of control dog, one that wonders across the path to smell some dog poo without looking both ways first? What you have to remember is that dogs have minds of their own so will change direction without warning,
If the dog has a mind of its own, then it has not been fully trained. The owner will be aware of that and should have the dog on a lead when on shared paths.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was riding through the park carefully on my road bike yesterday (shared path, where ok pedestrians have priority) and there was some bint on her bike (so not a ped) with about 8 yappy dog-rats (I kid ye not, most were smaller than my cat :wacko:) which were strung out across the path. I had slowed to a crawl but couldn't get through. I politely suggested that she stop so the stupid mutts would stop too. She had the temerity to suggest that I go off the path onto the mud, I pointed out she must be kidding, she only needed to call the hounds and stop for 10 seconds. :angry:

The number of owners who get out the way but don't think to perhaps call their dogs is astounding too, most are apologetic when the dog lurches across in front of my path. It was amusing in the park this evening - there was an elderly labrador lumbering along the path with a 4ft stick in its mouth taking up most of the path, which was quite sweet lol :laugh:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
hehehe I didn't realise what a touch paper I had lit! :biggrin:

A dog that is 3 meters away from its owner, not on a lead, and liable to act in a random manner cannot be considered under control, simple.

I have never come close to hitting a pedestrian, be it an adult or a child, and I take great care around dogs, but one that turns and dashes into the wheel is hardly a dog under control.

now where is that tin helmet...

on the road

Über Member
When I'm riding along a shared path I always slow down for dogs, I don't mind riding at walking pace or even having to stop. Shared paths are not for wannabe racers.

sabian92

Über Member
The worst thing is when dog walkers see you coming toward them and don't realise their dog who's on a 10 foot bungee lead suddenly makes for a very effective "cyclist-catapult".

The tragic thing is, they look at you like it's your fault they didn't work it out.

If it's a shared path, then you should be expecting the odd dog or two.........on the other hand, the dog owners should be expecting bikes (vehicles)..........so should make sure the dog is not running about back and forth across the path, after all, you wouldn't let your dog loose on a road (I know I don't)

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
So a dog that's on a field running after a ball is out of control? :rolleyes:

If you hate dogs so much then stick to then ride on the road.

Is it your field? If it's not, then it shoudn't be off the lead.

I don't mind dogs, under control, that don't leave shoot everywhere, I've just never met one.

As for sticking to the road , last week I was almost taken out by a turd dispenser on one of the extending reel things, 25 ft away from it's owner , it decided to dash across the road to fight the turd dispenser on the other side. What is the point of those fishing reel things?

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
Indeed, and if you consider I pass approx 20 to 30 dogs a day, each way, and do it 5 times a week, I think I am pretty good around them - certainly more responsible than the owners who arent in control...

... digs trench :biggrin:

For Cyclists
Look after your waterways

• avoid cycling where your tyres would damage the path or verges (eg when they are wet or soft)
Consider others

• give way to others on the towpath and warn them of your approach
  • dismount under low or blind bridges or where the path is narrow
  • never race one another
  • we recommend you obtain third party liability insurance and equip your bike with a bell or equivalent
Take care

• access paths can be steep and slippery. Join or leave the towpath with care
  • take special care if cycling at night. Use front and rear lights
  • thorny hedge trimmings can cause a puncture. We recommend plastic-reinforced tyres

I would say, like on the road, Give way means stop if necessary.

For All Users
Look after your waterway

• clean up after your dog and keep it under control

I'll leave you lot to debate the rest, I promised myself not to.

peelywally

if their joggers with a dog and female like i encountered today i dont mind , mustve hung back and given those girls right way for at least half a mile
thumbsup.png

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
But what do you consider to be an out of control dog, one that wonders across the path to smell some dog poo without looking both ways first? What you have to remember is that dogs have minds of their own so will change direction without warning, and the other thing is they don't know that bikes can hurt them, you can't teach a dog that.
If you know that a dog will behave in a given negative way to a given occurance (eg a dog will chase a bike) keeping a dog of a lead in those circumstances means the dog is not under control.
As a rule a dog needs to be under control at all times in a public place either by means of a lead of verbal commands to which the dog will immediatly respond.
I have posted this before and got torn to shreds so lets see this time
EDIT - It is worth pointing I have been involved in Animal Rescue for 20 years and care deeply for all animals.

doog

If you know that a dog will behave in a given negative way to a given occurance (eg a dog will chase a bike) keeping a dog of a lead in those circumstances means the dog is not under control.
As a rule a dog needs to be under control at all times in a public place either by means of a lead of verbal commands to which the dog will immediatly respond.
I have posted this before and got torn to shreds so lets see this time

biggrin.gif
give it time. . Dog threads are like buses, none for months then a load come along at the same time

still the nights are drawing in it will be who has the 'brightest light' thread soon..sigh

Top Bottom