Dogs on shared paths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
To the guy who thinks 10 mph is slow, have a think, around people and dogs that is too fast. . I would suggest that cyclists consider the dogs point of view when it comes to large bright lycra clad objects hurlting towards them at high speed, strangely when cyclists see my two rottweilers they slow down and give me plenty of time to get the dogs under control and pass me very carefully.
Where ever you walk dogs there is a potential for problems, I walk my dogs in a privately owned 57 acre field and I still have to deal with trespassers who are quite surpised that they have two big dogs barking at them. We all have to make slight modifications to what we do to accomodate other people thats life, pedestrians cars cyclists and dog walkers all seem to hate each other according to the internet but in the real world most poeple are ok, many are considerate and we can all co-exist. There are always some who are too insecure to modify their behavior in any way that can be a car driver who is too impatient to wait for a safe overtaking point, or a cyclist rushing down a towpath running over dogs and hopping up onto pavements to skip red lights. Either way being a prick like the guy moaning about dogs and their owners does not do anyone any favours.
Well said :thumbsup:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Explains why you hate dogs. To breedes they are income nothing more.
I think your data gathering needs to sample a larger area than the same path you keep talking about.

Different route this morning, about 15 miles, want to hear what the scores on the doors were this morning?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If dogs are alowed off the lead in parks and on normal paths then they should be allowed off the lead on shared use paths. Shred use means just that and as such we make compromises. One can't expect to bomb down a shared use path as if in a sprint finish. When I am riding past people with dogs I just slow down and take care. It is just the same really as when you aproach a family who have small children who are also liekly to run out unexpectedly. I haven't noticed that taking this sort of care around less predictable pavement users has hindered me in any way or lessened the quality of my life, quite the opposite really as there is satisfaction to be had from working together with people to make sure that things like shared use paths work properly and allow everyone to use them without incident.

There is a whole other issue around dogs and dog owners that are out of control but as I say that is another issue.

Top Bottom