Dogs on shared paths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Fine, I rub along by slowing down and sometimes stopping when the dogs obstruct the path, the dog owners rub along by errr... not having the dog under control, using a lead that stretches across the width of the path, leaving the branch their dog was carrying wherever the dog drops it, staring straight ahead when their dog is taking a shoot behind them ( oh look, not on a lead , so they can pretend they don't notice), throwing ball across the path for the dog to run in front of me....

I'm willing to be convinced that there are "responsible" owners, I've just yet to meet one.

In the same way that al cyclists are black-lycra clad ninjas who ride on pavements, zig zig in and out of cars, jump red lights and deliberately hold up cars. Yep you are winning hearts and minds here.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Wow your making progress and actually referring to dogs as dogs and not turd dispensers. :thumbsup:

The "dog" was someone elses text. More often I see turd dispensers, owners take them out to distribute turds, somewhere, anywhere, just as long as it's not their own patch.

Little yellow Brompton

In the same way that al cyclists are black-lycra clad ninjas who ride on pavements, zig zig in and out of cars, jump red lights and deliberately hold up cars. Yep you are winning hearts and minds here.

I long ago gave up any idea that you could win the hearts and minds of dog owners, they simply will not accept that they or their animal , or any other ( apart from the nebulous "minority), is ever in the wrong.

Little yellow Brompton

Yep! And I try to combat that by not doing any of the above, but I've not seen any owners trying to disabuse me of my ideas, rather they simply reinforce them. I wonder if I will suddenly meet the "majority" tomorrow/next week/month/year?

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
dear Admin,

I am truely sorry for starting this tripe and would not be annoyed if you rid us of it.

Then the dog lovers and dog haters can forget all about it and get onto the rights and wrongs of compulsory helmets or RLJ's! :biggrin:

dear Admin,

I am truely sorry for starting this tripe and would not be annoyed if you rid us of it.

Then the dog lovers and dog haters can forget all about it and get onto the rights and wrongs of compulsory helmets or RLJ's! :biggrin:

You cad! You knew exactly what you were doing. Shame on you. I'll think of a suitable pennance.....

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
You cad! You knew exactly what you were doing. Shame on you. I'll think of a suitable pennance.....

It was an honest question in the first instance, but I must say I have found the resulting dialogue rather amusing.

Suitable pennance..?

having to read it all through again? :biggrin:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
no need, it was nothing, really... :biggrin: sheeesh I shall think very carefully about starting any other threads.

although I would like to discuss ASL's... ;)

apollo179

My experience is that dog owners usually control their dog as i approach mainly out of a desire to protect the dog from the danger that i pose to it.
I (obviously) slow down before any potential hazard , including dogs and always acknowledge and thank the dog owner for their action in attending to their dog. My take on the dog issue is im a bigger danger to the dog than he is to me. When the dog is the bigger danger than i will act accordingly and navigate the obstacle with due care.

element

To the guy who thinks 10 mph is slow, have a think, around people and dogs that is too fast. . I would suggest that cyclists consider the dogs point of view when it comes to large bright lycra clad objects hurlting towards them at high speed, strangely when cyclists see my two rottweilers they slow down and give me plenty of time to get the dogs under control and pass me very carefully.
Where ever you walk dogs there is a potential for problems, I walk my dogs in a privately owned 57 acre field and I still have to deal with trespassers who are quite surpised that they have two big dogs barking at them. We all have to make slight modifications to what we do to accomodate other people thats life, pedestrians cars cyclists and dog walkers all seem to hate each other according to the internet but in the real world most poeple are ok, many are considerate and we can all co-exist. There are always some who are too insecure to modify their behavior in any way that can be a car driver who is too impatient to wait for a safe overtaking point, or a cyclist rushing down a towpath running over dogs and hopping up onto pavements to skip red lights. Either way being a prick like the guy moaning about dogs and their owners does not do anyone any favours.

Top Bottom