Dogs on shared paths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
Cyclists have to give way on Canal towpaths.

But Dogs walking on Cycle routes gets my goat. I've taken to going on the road unless I'm having a pootle.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I say again.

"Please feel free to show me where this "right" is enshrined?"

Show me where it states dogs can not be exercised in public places. I have shown you three sites two of which have strong legal powers that talk about the requirement to exercise dogs. You claim this should only be done on private land so please back this up.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Then you are treating all dog owners in the same way that some motorists treat cyclists. Can you not see that?

I can only play the cards I'm dealt, outside of working dogs, I can't remember seeing in the last ten years , on a shared path or a public park any dog that was kept under control.

BTW I apologise, I just remembered I DID see a dog on a lead this afternoon.

That makes it 8-1 today, only need to see 8 tomorrow for your "minority" to be right.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I can only play the cards I'm dealt, outside of working dogs, I can't remember seeing in the last ten years , on a shared path or a public park any dog that was kept under control.

BTW I apologise, I just remembered I DID see a dog on a lead this afternoon.

That makes it 8-1 today, only need to see 8 tomorrow for your "minority" to be right.

Dogs DO NOT NEED TO BE ON LEADS. They just need to be under control.Quite possibly your definition of control means a dog that will walk at heal and is scared of its' master. That is not my idea of control that is fear.

In my experience, the owners of turd dispensers will never, ever change their view that they and their little poochykins can ever do any wrong, so it's pointless trying to convince them.

What can be done however, is ensure sure that people who have been cowed by the barrage of " Dogs have rights " and " where else do you expect them to go?" realise that there are others who find it unnaceptable that poochykins is allowed to run wherever it want's, crap wherever it needs to, and generally interfere with people quietly going about their daily business.

Oh bugger it, rules are made to be broken....

It's an interesting rant, I pretty much agree with the bit about owners cleaning up. I'm less interested in the control debate, I see far too many parallels in this kind of rant to drivers on other forums ranting about cyclists on roads, of course the irony is normally lost on most people. If I wasn't a cyclist, I don't think I'd support shared use paths, most cyclists are simply too inconsiderate to use them safely. what's that you say, you're not one of them, oh really. Well I apologise for tarring you with the same brush, I can't think how that happened.

And you're right, dogs don't have rights, owners do. I think under law, dogs are seen as a usual accompaniment and public land is just that, for use by the public and their usual accompaniments.

I refer you back to my earlier post about everyone rubbing along. There's a lesiure path by me which became a shared path but obviously someone objected to cyclists being on it and still does because every now and then, tacks are scattered along it's length. Clearly they feel the same way about cyclists as you do about dogs. it's a small step to this sort of intolerance and relatively easy to judge the majority by the actions of a few. A rant is good but do you really want the same level as venom you're directing at dog owners, directed back at you for being a cyclist?

rowan 46

Über Member
I am not sure about the statistics that most owners clean up after their dogs it may be true in more affluent and civic minded areas. I work in an area of birmingham called chelmsley wood for 2 days a week this clients flat backs onto a piece of land used by dog walkers. Lots of people come to walk their dogs occasionally you see a woman pick up never seen a man do it and most of the time the owner just looks away ignoring while the dog does it's business. nevertheless it's not the dogs fault. There may not a majority of bad dog owners but there are certainly enough of them to keep several animal charities busy. To keep on topic it's not hard on a shared use path to keep your speed down and be alert for kids, dogs etc. Dogs can be a nuisance but then I guess from the dog owners point of view they can and do view us in the same way.

Little yellow Brompton

Dogs DO NOT NEED TO BE ON LEADS. They just need to be under control.Quite possibly your definition of control means a dog that will walk at heal and is scared of its' master. That is not my idea of control that is fear.

No my idea of control is, "a dog needs to be under control at all times in a public place either by means of a lead of verbal commands to which the dog will immediatly respond. "

I rarely if ever see that in public.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No my idea of control is, "a dog needs to be under control at all times in a public place either by means of a lead of verbal commands to which the dog will immediatly respond. "

I rarely if ever see that in public.

I see you can quote me. Well done. Have a look at what other people are saying to you. You are making yourself look like an idiot. I'm not sure if that is true or not.

vickster

Legendary Member
After the dozy bint on a bike and her 8 rats experience yesterday, I rode through the park today on my commute. 3 owners called/kept their dogs out of my way. Two called to heel and 1 was shielded by the owner.

Seems the cyclist was the bad egg, and I do wonder if she was a dog walker rather than owner
whistling.gif

Little yellow Brompton

Oh bugger it, rules are made to be broken....

It's an interesting rant, I pretty much agree with the bit about owners cleaning up. I'm less interested in the control debate, I see far too many parallels in this kind of rant to drivers on other forums ranting about cyclists on roads, of course the irony is normally lost on most people. If I wasn't a cyclist, I don't think I'd support shared use paths, most cyclists are simply too inconsiderate to use them safely. what's that you say, you're not one of them, oh really. Well I apologise for tarring you with the same brush, I can't think how that happened.

And you're right, dogs don't have rights, owners do. I think under law, dogs are seen as a usual accompaniment and public land is just that, for use by the public and their usual accompaniments.

I refer you back to my earlier post about everyone rubbing along.

Fine, I rub along by slowing down and sometimes stopping when the dogs obstruct the path, the dog owners rub along by errr... not having the dog under control, using a lead that stretches across the width of the path, leaving the branch their dog was carrying wherever the dog drops it, staring straight ahead when their dog is taking a shoot behind them ( oh look, not on a lead , so they can pretend they don't notice), throwing ball across the path for the dog to run in front of me....

I'm willing to be convinced that there are "responsible" owners, I've just yet to meet one.

Top Bottom