Dogs on shared paths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Everything you posted was untrue. By your reckoning dogs could only get exercise if the owners have access to private land. I say again the only binding law is that a dog must be under control or tight control on a foot or shared path.

Not my reckoning, but not a bad idea. If you bought a fish without somewhere to keep it people would think you mad, and possibly cruel, but they see nothing wrong with buying a dog without having somewhere for it to crap and then using communal facilities.

As for the other part of the dispute, we agree that "dog must be under control or tight control on a foot or shared path." which is more it seems than other dog owners do. As for the rest of the UK land mass, there was talk of "fields" which would be private land, so that would be down to the landowner, and "parks" which will be covered by local byelaws , the vast majority of which will mention lead or control and will be ignored for the most part becuase it's inconvinient.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Not my reckoning, but not a bad idea. If you bought a fish without somewhere to keep it people would think you mad, and possibly cruel, but they see nothing wrong with buying a dog without having somewhere for it to crap and then using communal facilities.

As for the other part of the dispute, we agree that "dog must be under control or tight control on a foot or shared path." which is more it seems than other dog owners do. As for the rest of the UK land mass, there was talk of "fields" which would be private land, so that would be down to the landowner, and "parks" which will be covered by local byelaws , the vast majority of which will mention lead or control and will be ignored for the most part becuase it's inconvinient.
What a strange person you are.

Little yellow Brompton

Were you bitten as a child or a cat in a previous life? You sound like a driver commenting on a cycling inncident with vitriolic wrath.

Neither*, in fact I've owned dogs, trained them,worked with them, my father bred them.

All of those dogs were kept under control, weren't excercised ( a modern euphanism for "taking the dog for a shoot somewhere where I can pretend it's not mine") in public areas, and certainly weren't allowed onto a 20ft fishing reel "lead" because it was convinient.

* I have been bitten by a dog whilst on a bike, but I was an adult.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Neither*, in fact I've owned dogs, trained them,worked with them, my father bred them.

All of those dogs were kept under control, weren't excercised ( a modern euphanism for "taking the dog for a shoot somewhere where I can pretend it's not mine") in public areas, and certainly weren't allowed onto a 20ft fishing reel "lead" because it was convinient.

* I have been bitten by a dog whilst on a bike, but I was an adult.
So you come from a breeding background. That explains it.
FYI there are a minority of bad dog owners just as there are a minority of bad cyclists and bad drivers. Most owners clean up after their dogs just as most cyclists obey traffic laws and most drivers aren't out to kill cyclists.

Little yellow Brompton

So you come from a breeding background. That explains it.
FYI there are a minority of bad dog owners just as there are a minority of bad cyclists and bad drivers. Most owners clean up after their dogs just as most cyclists obey traffic laws and most drivers aren't out to kill cyclists.

Explains what? Why I have no sympathy, or time, for some dog owner that tells me that he can't control his dog?

This morning I saw 6 dogs in 1/2 mile of shared route ( the only 1/2 mile of 5 of my commute) none were on a lead, none were under control. That 1/2 mile consists of dodging turds as well as dogs and the only time it was not like that was when it was snowing when suddenly it seemed poochykins didn't need "excercise"

This afternoon , it was only 2 dogs , taken out for a "walk" by two girls 10-12 , neither whom had a lead or a bag, or any control.

To today's example to be a "minority", I would need to see at least 9 dogs tomorrow who were under control, I won't hold my breath.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Explains what? Why I have no sympathy, or time, for some dog owner that tells me that he can't control his dog?

This morning I saw 6 dogs in 1/2 mile of shared route ( the only 1/2 mile of 5 of my commute) none were on a lead, none were under control. That 1/2 mile consists of dodging turds as well as dogs and the only time it was not like that was when it was snowing when suddenly it seemed poochykins didn't need "excercise"

This afternoon , it was only 2 dogs , taken out for a "walk" by two girls 10-12 , neither whom had a lead or a bag, or any control.

To today's example to be a "minority", I would need to see at least 9 dogs tomorrow who were under control, I won't hold my breath.
Explains why you hate dogs. To breedes they are income nothing more.
I think your data gathering needs to sample a larger area than the same path you keep talking about.

Little yellow Brompton

Explains why you hate dogs. To breedes they are income nothing more.
I think your data gathering needs to sample a larger area than the same path you keep talking about.

I don't hate dogs, we covered that earlier. As to "breeders" I wasn't the breeder that was my father, and I would suggest that to UK dog owners , dogs are a fashion accessory/toy for the kids/ ego booster and nothing more, certainly not something that they see any need to take any responsibility for.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Is it a coincidence that you suddenly can't be bothered the moment you are asked to back up your opinion?

OK. This from the Kennel Club http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/6026/gcdsresandcare.pdf

This is from the Countryside code.

Keep dogs under close control
The countryside is a good place to exercise dogs. By law, you must control your dog so it doesn’t disturb or scare farm animals or wildlife.

Keeping your dog on a lead
You don’t have to put your dog on a lead on public paths, as long as it’s under close control. However, you should keep your dog on a short lead:

• if you can’t rely on it obeying you
  • on most areas of open country and common land or open access land between 1 March and 31 July
  • always near farm animals
  • if there are signs asking you to do so
If a farm animal chases you and your dog, it’s safer to let your dog off the lead. Don’t risk getting hurt by trying to protect it.

This from Defra

All dogs, in particular puppies, need rest. However,
individual dogs have different needs and some will
sleep for long periods after exercise or food; others
will need less rest and will be more active. A dog
needs regular exercise and regular opportunities to
walk and run. The amount of exercise a dog needs
varies with age, breed and health. Some breeds
of dog need a lot of exercise and you should take
account of this when choosing a dog. Young dogs
may need to have their exercise restricted during
periods of rapid growth, to avoid developmental
problems. Exercising dogs in extremes of weather
can lead to suffering.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13333-cop-dogs-091204.pdf

Enough.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I don't hate dogs, we covered that earlier. As to "breeders" I wasn't the breeder that was my father, and I would suggest that to UK dog owners , dogs are a fashion accessory/toy for the kids/ ego booster and nothing more, certainly not something that they see any need to take any responsibility for.

Then you are treating all dog owners in the same way that some motorists treat cyclists. Can you not see that?

Little yellow Brompton

OK. This from the Kennel Club http://www.thekennel...sresandcare.pdf

This is from the Countryside code.

Keep dogs under close control
The countryside is a good place to exercise dogs. By law, you must control your dog so it doesn’t disturb or scare farm animals or wildlife.

Keeping your dog on a lead
You don’t have to put your dog on a lead on public paths, as long as it’s under close control. However, you should keep your dog on a short lead:

• if you can’t rely on it obeying you
  • on most areas of open country and common land or open access land between 1 March and 31 July
  • always near farm animals
  • if there are signs asking you to do so
If a farm animal chases you and your dog, it’s safer to let your dog off the lead. Don’t risk getting hurt by trying to protect it.

This from Defra

All dogs, in particular puppies, need rest. However,
individual dogs have different needs and some will
sleep for long periods after exercise or food; others
will need less rest and will be more active. A dog
needs regular exercise and regular opportunities to
walk and run. The amount of exercise a dog needs
varies with age, breed and health. Some breeds
of dog need a lot of exercise and you should take
account of this when choosing a dog. Young dogs
may need to have their exercise restricted during
periods of rapid growth, to avoid developmental