Dolan l'etape .... Ultegra Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Can't vouch for Di2 going wrong, but all I know is after a year and a half I have had no need to touch/adjust mine.
Apart from charging the battery-3times I think.
That's on one bike in particular that is regularly ridden.
Nothing wrong with mechanical, but if you try Di2 you won't go back.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well, I have yes - but that's irrelevant. But my point is that your description of Di2 could also match my description of any of my cable shifters.

I dont think it is irrelevant. If you havnt ridden Di2, how could you compare?

I have ridden cable shifters for over 50 years snd I much prefer Di2.i dont think there is any comparison and that view seems to be shared by many on here.

Fortunately, I have had no problems with mine. I charge the battery every now and again and it works flawlessly.

S-Express

What are you on?
@steveindenmark assessment is spot on.
Why would Di2 BENEFIT cable systems? That makes no sense whatsoever!

Not sure why this is so contentious. This is what Steve said:

You never miss a gear and it changes gears so quickly and smoothly

To which I said the same comment could be accurately made about cable systems too. In other words, quick and accurate shifting is not unique to electronic systems. Or to put it another way, whatever the benefits of Di2 over cable systems are - it's not that. HTH.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hang on a minute.

We can all choose whatever we want. All I am saying is that I have Di2 and I prefer it. I do have cable on 7 other bikes and it works perfectly well.

But Di2 is luxury.....at a price.If I could afford it on all my bikes, I would have it.

Unfortunately, it does not make me any faster. But I have far more troubles with cable systems and non at all with yhe Di2.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The kind that prevents you wrecking your rear mech by overshifting it into your rear wheel.

Shouldn't be possible with Di2, right?

I don't know what the cause was - bent hanger is my best guess. But it was a bike that had been run into the ground (not by me, I hasten to add) and had little love shown to it.

Mostly, I'd say the only maintenance that's required is regular cleaning (as with all moving parts on a bike) and occasional inspection to check everything is in order. But it is patently untrue to say that Di2 never goes wrong.

Rustybucket

Veteran
I just received delivery of a bike with Di2 - Not all the gears are shifting and I have no idea how to fix them!
Not a good experience for me so far...

huwsparky

Über Member
I just received delivery of a bike with Di2 - Not all the gears are shifting and I have no idea how to fix them!
Not a good experience for me so far...
Press the button on the box for two seconds, this puts the system into indexing mode. Adjust accordingly by using the rear mech shifter. It's a total doddle.

I had to change my mates rear mech when he crashed and bent his. Indexing di2 is easier than mechanical as it can be done whilst riding the bike.

When done press the button again once to exit indexing mode.

huwsparky

Über Member
The kind that prevents you wrecking your rear mech by overshifting it into your rear wheel.

Shouldn't be possible with Di2, right?

I don't know what the cause was - bent hanger is my best guess. But it was a bike that had been run into the ground (not by me, I hasten to add) and had little love shown to it.

Mostly, I'd say the only maintenance that's required is regular cleaning (as with all moving parts on a bike) and occasional inspection to check everything is in order. But it is patently untrue to say that Di2 never goes wrong.
It's pretty obvious that if you've bent your rear mech then it won't run right. This isnt a problem of di2 and a bit silly to say that it is. Would be equally true with mechanical shifting.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's pretty obvious that if you've bent your rear mech then it won't run right. This isnt a problem of di2 and a bit silly to say that it is. Would be equally true with mechanical shifting.

I don't know that's what the problem was, I'm just guessing at a possibility, and yes, I quite understand that's not a problem that's specific to Di2. Once you have a mangled rear mech and broken hanger, it's hard to work out what actually caused it.

In any case, you're missing the important part of my comment which is that the bike had been neglected generally, and even when you have Di2 you can't afford to do that. Which is stating the bleeding obvious, I know, but maybe it needs stating amid all the general 'Di2 is perfect and never goes wrong' comments.

Top Bottom