Don't always blame the motorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE="GrumpyGregry, post: 4277441, member: 519

Nobber Cyclists with motor-centric mindsets are, unfortunately, too large a proportion of the bike riding public.

Can you lead me to the official numbers or have you just made that bit up, because it is different to my experience.
Does something have to be backed by official numbers to be true? Plenty of evidence of the existence of "cyclist hating Cyclists" with motor-centric mindsets in this thread, in this forum, probably in your cycling club, or amongst your Cyclist friends, certainly in my cycling club, et cetera.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
wtf are you talking about..where did I say they were doing anything dangerous ?

'kin hell :cry:
The OP claims the cyclists were doing something dangerous

You have characterised those who have argued against the OP as mere keyboard warriors, if you will as poseurs, dilettantes, lightweights, hobbyists, newcomers, low mileage wasters and, in my case, described me a muppet and a dickhead. (Which I've reported btw)

You have consistently defended the OP's point of view, albeit in a manner often lacking clarity.

So do tell me, in your considered opinion as an experienced long-distance Cyclist of long-standing, supremely well qualified to offer a definitive opinion on the matter, what, precisely, were the cyclists in the OP doing that was dangerous?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No. So if you road normally on said road and the worst happened, who would be responsible?
I'm afraid you are going to have to give me more details of this tragic event that causes my demise before I can apportion blame. If I had a blowout when wizzing down a hill and impaled myself on the spike of a bale lifter in the adjacent lane, I doubt my widow could sue successfully.

What have you got, Grim Reaper?

doog

The OP claims the cyclists were doing something dangerous

You have characterised those who have argued against the OP as mere keyboard warriors, if you will as poseurs, dilettantes, lightweights, hobbyists, newcomers, low mileage wasters and, in my case, described me a muppet and a dickhead. (Which I've reported btw)

You have consistently defended the OP's point of view, albeit in a manner often lacking clarity.

So do tell me, in your considered opinion as an experienced long-distance Cyclist of long-standing, supremely well qualified to offer a definitive opinion on the matter, what, precisely, were the cyclists in the OP doing that was dangerous?

The OP said many things however at no point did I agree, mention, hint or assume the cyclists were doing anything dangerous...

I mentioned common sense but that was based on the balance of probabilities based on the OP's observations (who was there..you werent, nor was I..)

Last edited by a moderator:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm afraid you are going to have to give me more details of this tragic event that causes my demise before I can apportion blame. If I had a blowout when wizzing down a hill and impaled myself on the spike of a bale lifter in the adjacent lane, I doubt my widow could sue successfully.

What have you got, Grim Reaper?
You are riding normally, in a manner entirely appropriate for the weather and road conditions. Let's even say you are wearing hi-viz* and an approved cycling helmet. With some retina burning rear stobe light turned on. It is Saturday mid-morning. A bright dry clear morning and the sun is behind you. You are heading west. In primary, or secondary, as is your wont. A weekender rushing to their holiday stay, generally acknowledged as not the most considerate of drivers, passes you at the speed limit, but alas passes you too close, for reasons that are unclear fromt he witness reports, and you fall from your bike and die.

Who is to blame? Surely you must be a teeny tiny bit at fault for being there in the first place?

*hi-viz doth offend mine eye.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You are riding normally, in a manner entirely appropriate for the weather and road conditions. Let's even say you are wearing hi-viz* and an approved cycling helmet. With some retina burning rear stobe light turned on. It is Saturday mid-morning. A bright dry clear morning and the sun is behind you. You are heading west. In primary, or secondary, as is your wont. A weekender rushing to their holiday stay, generally acknowledged as not the most considerate of drivers, passes you at the speed limit, but alas passes you too close, for reasons that are unclear fromt he witness reports, and you fall from your bike and die.

Who is to blame? Surely you must be a teeny tiny bit at fault for being there in the first place?

*hi-viz doth offend mine eye.
I might still be alive if I hadn't been there but I appear to have been riding in exemplary fashion. Fortunately, a personal desire for self-preservation prevents me being there in the first place having made my own risk-assessment.

By the way, you are Gabriel García Márquez and ICMFP.

hatler

Guru
Extraordinarily entrenched views here. I think it's too late for any realistic prospect that anyone is going to be hauled out of their own trench to a different place, but I like a challenge. And I know I'm treading in some well-worn footsteps here.

... the road is twisty and just wide enough for two cars to pass each other.
This one line should be sufficient for anyone with any sense to draw all the necessary and relevant conclusions about the appropriate behaviour of the cyclists and driver concerned.

There's not enough room for a car to overtake one bike if there's a car coming the other way.
Therefore any car behind a single bike should wait until there are no vehicles coming the other way.

There's enough room for cars to pass each other in opposite directions, and two bikes abreast are generally less wide than a car.
Therefore, there's enough room for a car to overtake two bikes abreast, presuming there's no vehicle coming the other way.

Given that a car coming the other way means it would be impossible to overtake one bike safely, the existence of a second bike (abreast of the first) doesn't alter the level of impossibility.

Net result, whether the bikes were singled out or two abreast makes not one jot of difference to how or when a following driver should overtake them.

It sounds like the cyclists did EXACTLY the right thing, and stayed two abreast, otherwise they might have invited an unsafe pass from an impatient, inconsiderate motorist. I detect no 'attitude' here, other than a desire to stay safe, with, just possibly, a little thought to the prevention of a motorist making an utter tit of himself. Thankfully their tactics appear to have been completely successful, on both counts.

On this forum, we tend to be quick to criticise motorists but cyclists are no angels either and can do some pretty dangerous riding when two or more. :angry:

I'm struggling to see how anything these two did could in any way be interpreted as 'dangerous'. Quite the opposite.

This isn't rocket engineering, the principles really are quite straightforward.

I defy anyone to out-logic this argument.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You're coming over as a bit of a bellend now...put it to bed mate... The OP said many things however at no point did I agree, mention, hint or assume the cyclists were doing anything dangerous...

I mentioned common sense but that was based on the balance of probabilities based on the OP's observations (who was there..you werent you clown, nor was I..)

My initial issue was the attitude of people like you...and you continue to evidence it..... the majority of people reach an impasse, you seem incapable..
What is this attitude with which you take issue?
That I don't agree with you but choose to do so without resorting to personal insults?
That I don't agree with your elitist criteria for being able to hold an opinion, even though my credentials, and those of others, mean we qualify as members of your elite group of Cyclists?
That I don't agree with your definition and application of "common sense", whatever the heck that actually is?
Or that my view on the balance of probabilities based on the OP's observations is different to yours?

Or do you just have a chip on your shoulder when people don't agree with you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom