Don't 'buddy' me, buddy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The town of Morpeth has it's own "gadgy" (public figure, sort of a town crier)

1252275726.jpg

You can get gadgy bread:
6a010536bcc8ca970c0147e2743db5970b-400wi.jpg

Go on Gadgie walks:
http://gadgiewalks.blogspot.co.uk/

And enter the Blaydon Race as a Gadgy (= veteran)

I rest my case :smile:

Hyslop

Veteran
Well,that was worth posting,thanks,Ive learned something:okay:.You are,as the young people say^_^....one radge gadgie!!!!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm old enough to remember when line managers at work were called Mr (whatever) and being slightly shocked when Christian names became de-rigueur.

The opposite applies now, I find it odd when employees (sorry, colleagues these days) refer to anyone as Mr...

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
I'm old enough to remember when line managers at work were called Mr (whatever) and being slightly shocked when Christian names became de-rigueur.

The opposite applies now, I find it odd when employees (sorry, colleagues these days) refer to anyone as Mr...
Me too, I started work in 1991 and we used to call the MD Sir.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Taking 8 is worse than taking 5, Shirley?
giphy.gif

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 4316293, member: 259"]When I first worked abroad, in Germany, you had to call the bosses "Sie" (the polite form of you).

It was the same in Belgium "vous" rather than "you" for the French speakers, and "U" rather than "je" for the Dutch speakers, but it's disappearing rapidly.[/QUOTE]
U would say that :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'

There's still an element of that respect left at work. I have a personal unwritten rule, but it's pretty common. With a hierarchical rank structure there's a difference between a group situation and face to face. Generally to my team or anyone else I'm known as "Boss" or "Sir". I like both, and use both to anyone above my rank. If however I have been on the same team at the same rank as anyone during any part of my career, I'll use their first name and be happy to be called by my first name face to face. In a meeting with anyone present up or down the hierarchy I will use "Sir" or "Ma'am" unfailingly. I expect in a work situation, to be called "Sir" or "Boss" by subordinates (nasty word, but this is hierarchy, not dictatorship), and there are very few occasions where this isn't followed. I have only ever once taken someone to task for calling by my first name, and he was a cock anyway.

It's a simple mark of respect. It's accepted, and it's not as value laden as some folk would make out. I remember a home visit from a Chief Inspector when I was a Sergeant and my neighbour overheard me calling him Sir as he was getting into his car. The neighbour, an intelligent but somewhat "right-on" type tried to tell me I was a subservient idiot for kowtowing to the man who didn't deserve any form of abasement on my part. I pointed out that that attitude was possibly why he was unable to hold down any sort of job despite being qualified to Masters level.

SpokeyDokey

There's still an element of that respect left at work. I have a personal unwritten rule, but it's pretty common. With a hierarchical rank structure there's a difference between a group situation and face to face. Generally to my team or anyone else I'm known as "Boss" or "Sir". I like both, and use both to anyone above my rank. If however I have been on the same team at the same rank as anyone during any part of my career, I'll use their first name and be happy to be called by my first name face to face. In a meeting with anyone present up or down the hierarchy I will use "Sir" or "Ma'am" unfailingly. I expect in a work situation, to be called "Sir" or "Boss" by subordinates (nasty word, but this is hierarchy, not dictatorship), and there are very few occasions where this isn't followed. I have only ever once taken someone to task for calling by my first name, and he was a cock anyway.

It's a simple mark of respect. It's accepted, and it's not as value laden as some folk would make out. I remember a home visit from a Chief Inspector when I was a Sergeant and my neighbour overheard me calling him Sir as he was getting into his car. The neighbour, an intelligent but somewhat "right-on" type tried to tell me I was a subservient idiot for kowtowing to the man who didn't deserve any form of abasement on my part. I pointed out that that attitude was possibly why he was unable to hold down any sort of job despite being qualified to Masters level.

I respect your viewpoint but see things rather differently.

The world changed for me around the same time that Christian names in business became acceptable. This was not the only change that altered my viewpoint at that time re respect. Probably the biggest change was collaborative team working that recognised both individual talent and contribution and that support of each other was a two way street. There were other changes, too many to list here, that dragged the organisations I worked in out of 'top down' and 'do as I say' virtual dictatorships that were the norm way back when.

My career followed a decent trajectory and eventually I scaled the dizzy :laugh: heights of Regional Director, Operations Director and ultimately MD. In all of those roles, and those preceding them, I would've been appalled if anyone had called me Sir. And I would never have taken anyone to task for using my first name :ohmy:.

My view is that respect within in a team is best gained by treating everyone as equals, albeit those team members may have different roles/mandates. To me the using terms such as 'Sir' are a barrier to that.

Maybe the term still exists in organisations where a bastardised form of imposed 'respect' makes those up the chain feel important? Or where those down the chain are simply expected to 'do'?

SpokeyDokey

Perhaps the 'Sir' and 'Ma'am' thing is linked to the deference embodied in the idea of obeying orders without question, in career settings like the armed forces and the police?

@User13710

Yes. I understand that mechanic but I'm not a fan of organisations that dis-assemble and crush individuality in order to impose a bastardised notion of respect.

Respect cannot be imposed whereas unthinking obedience can. People/organisations can confuse the two. Maybe they use the term 'respect' as it's a whole lot prettier than alternatives that could be used to describe the ugliness of the management system.

PS: not arguing with you and nor is this a 'teach you to suck eggs' post - from the many posts I have read of yours I would guess you would lean towards a more inclusive and genuinely respectful organisational structure that recognises individual abilities and contributions.

Top Bottom