Don't 'buddy' me, buddy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah, with you on that one; I don't much like 'fella', but I'm OK with 'fellas'.

Good!

And I don't mind you posting in lilac at all! :okay:

Hyslop

Veteran
[QUOTE 4312816, member: 259"]You used to get women students in Sheff getting really pissed off about being called 'love' and then gradually realising it was applied to all sexes and stopping worrying about it.[/QUOTE]
One of the girls in my department started ranting at being called "love" in Mr Kites(if you remember it)continued on,at every inevitable opportunity,in The Washington,Frog & Parrot,and by the time we got to The Wapentake,it had finally dawned on her that every time I ordered a drink,I was "love" also.Finally,she shut up.Smart girl:smile:.....eventually.

Hyslop

Veteran
[QUOTE 4314532, member: 259"]I lived next door but one from the Washie![/QUOTE]
^_^:okay:Oh lucky man!I found it when,as a mature student,I was looking for pubs where respectable people i.e. non students drank(and therefore "real" conversations)and it was a smashing bolthole...then "they" discovered it.Still went though,and if it got tedious,off I went to the Bath.If youre ever in there again,lift one for Hyslop and his happy days.

Sharky

Guru
When I worked in the city, I often shared a lift upto the office with a Canadian chap and he always made the remark "Have a Nice Day". Really got on my nerves, then one year, first day back in the New Year I was determined to get in first with a "Have a Nice Day", only to be out done with his reply "Have a Nice Year"!

8 pages, and no one posted this?

View: https://youtu.be/kurxBYeAkqA

(unless the pink guy did; I've got him on ignore)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hmm.
[QUOTE 4314565, member: 259"]Language? Tick. Oatcakes? Tick. As good as Derbyshire? Coff.[/QUOTE]
giphy.gif

Hyslop

Veteran
Just heard a word in greeting that I haven't heard for some time.Ive always associated it with Carlisle -"Alright Gadge".I think a shortening of "gadgie",which seemingly is in itself a loan word from Romany.Knpwn to any of the rest of you? I'd be interested to know.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Just heard a word in greeting that I haven't heard for some time.Ive always associated it with Carlisle -"Alright Gadge".I think a shortening of "gadgie",which seemingly is in itself a loan word from Romany.Knpwn to any of the rest of you? I'd be interested to know.

From gadgio, meaning non-Romany?

Used in Geordieland too:

2. Geordie saying: gadgie

Non Geordie translation: man, adult male human

Usage: "See that gadgie at the front of the geet walla queue?"

Fact fans: This word was possibly derived from the Romani "gadje" meaning non-Roma or "gorgio" meaning fellow.

Cubist

Still wavin'
[QUOTE 4315533, member: 45"]I've heard it in Birmingham, though not widespread. In Birmingham, we're all gypsies.[/QUOTE]
Yep, an old codger used to be known as an old gadger in our village

Hyslop

Veteran
From gadgio, meaning non-Romany?
Yes,I think so,I hadn't heard it elsewhere,but it always seemed likely that wherever,over time,there been a gypsy presence ,horse fair's and the like,you might hear it on the local dialect,in whichever country you happened to be in.

Hyslop

Veteran
Used in Geordieland too:

Fact fans: This word was possibly derived from the Romani "gadje" meaning non-Roma or "gorgio" meaning fellow.
Yeah well,I don't think of
Used in Geordieland too:

Yeah and you're right,but I could never consider Nyuhcassle as elsewhere!I would get wrong!!!

Top Bottom