Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My son works for a Retail chain that hasn't closed, they have changed the store to click & collect only but they are still serving, although they are doing what they can not to get close to customers, for the past few days he's been out in the carpark advising people from a distance what the new procedure is, that you just can't turn up & browse or currently return anything. However he is still mixing with other members of the staff, what if say a group of 4 of them went out on a ride together, or had a social drink at one of their houses? Not that they would nor do they intend to, that I know of.
I would suggest they borrow some surgical scrubs to wear.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They're talking about stricter lock-downs on the news this morning. This is what Gove thinks we should be doing now. Wonder what the more strict advice/rules will look like?

"Asked to clarify how much time people could spend exercising outside their homes, Mr Gove said: "It depends on each individual's fitness." The government has not so far issued a time limit for exercise, but has urged people to stay local.

"I would have thought that for most, a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate," Mr Gove said.

I don’t think he was talking stricter. He just saying for most 30 mins to an hour is probably about right. The “most” being a sedentary population who don’t normally exercise at all. For “most” more than an hour would be beyond their physical limits.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
God your hair splitting is becoming tedious

I'm talking about exercise/recreational cycling. Of course people can ride their bikes to get shopping or travel to work. That's so obvious as to not even warrant mentioning

I'm talking about people using cycling as their daily exercise but then riding way further than daily exercise would warrant. This pushing of the envelope of reasonableness (and we all have our own definitions of this, mine is about two hours) may lead to clearer instructions on what constitutes reasonable daily exercise.

For exercise one to two hours mind you my current state of fitness I couldn’t do much more.

dodgy

Riding locally today, 2 riders approaching in opposite direction waved and smiled saying 'alright!' at me. For the first time in my life I didn't ignore a fellow cyclist, but gave them a solid no and shaking head.

Don't judge me.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
My son works for a Retail chain that hasn't closed, they have changed the store to click & collect only but they are still serving, although they are doing what they can not to get close to customers, for the past few days he's been out in the carpark advising people from a distance what the new procedure is, that you just can't turn up & browse or currently return anything. However he is still mixing with other members of the staff, what if say a group of 4 of them went out on a ride together, or had a social drink at one of their houses? Not that they would nor do they intend to, that I know of.
Is he getting any abuse from the public?
Different set of circumstances of course but when I worked in DIY we'd go in on Easter Sunday as we'd have an opportunity to get some outside jobs done that we couldn't really with the shop trading, we'd get called all sorts for not being open :headshake:

D

Deleted member 26715

Is he getting any abuse from the public?
Different set of circumstances of course but when I worked in DIY we'd go in on Easter Sunday as we'd have an opportunity to get some outside jobs done that we couldn't really with the shop trading, we'd get called all sorts for not being open :headshake:
He's a big lad so other than a few who wanted to argue he's not had much, few of the other have had a bit more trouble, on Thursday a guy came in from Tesco's & told them one of their checkout ladies had been spat in the face when they refused to let them have 4 of an item.

Generally speaking, that's pretty sage advice. Of course, if you know what you're doing the bicycle is a weapon with greater range, a shield, and an excellent piece of equipment for a grounpin. Even the most determined knife nutter will struggle press home an attack with a broken shin, or with his face pinned to the tarmac with a crossbar across the back of his neck.

When this current malarkey is all done I'd be happy to meet up for a spot of group training.
For god's sake get all Steven Seagal movies off Netflix NOW

Riding locally today, 2 riders approaching in opposite direction waved and smiled saying 'alright!' at me. For the first time in my life I didn't ignore a fellow cyclist, but gave them a solid no and shaking head.

Don't judge me.
*judge* How did you know that they don't live in the same household? :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
*judge* How did you know that they don't live in the same household? :whistle:

Perhaps he was concerned at their distance from him.

I've barely been out, but oncoming cyclists passing at under two metres presents a low enough risk as to not worry about.

Might be a bit unfortunate if the other rider coughed as he passed.

Venod

Eh up
*judge* How did you know that they don't live in the same household?

I was going to post the above, two of our grandsons who live in the same house are riding together. I have also seen husband and wife and families out together.

Of course if the warning was to keep away I apologise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom