Don't they grow up quick nowadays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sh4rkyBloke said:
10? Really? I get that from my eldest (4 and a quarter)... but it's a bit toned down to "I'm not your friend now" and "I want Mummy to wake me up in the morning" ;):biggrin:

Bless 'em!!

Yep I get that from by 4 year old daughter as well. Seem to get less verbal abuse from my 8 year old son (at the moment) !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Reading your post and thinking about the difference between my son and the girl of the same age next door it strikes me strongly that your daughter has suddenly learned how to manipulate adults, especially male adults. Boys are not nearly as subtle.

FWIW we read this excellent book,which helped a lot: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toddler-Tam...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215691571&sr=8-4

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ohhh yes....... Daughter of 5 uses the 'I want mummy instead', son of 7 will use the 'You are horrible parents'...... hmm, when does sneaking out of bed 3 times to switch our TV on in our bedroom, way after bedtime, consititute being 'horrible'.....

He had plenty of warnings, now a PIN code has gone on the telly....

Co-incidentally sent to me yesterday by a friend

Most of the world's people think it's improper to spank children.

The other day I was talking to one of my friends about methods used to discipline children.
We talked about 'time outs', grounding, holding back 'rewards' until the child displayed desired behavior etc. One of the things we discussed was the act of spanking and my friend explained that no, he does not spank any of his children.
He explained that what he does is to take the misbehaving child out for a ride in the car and talk. He said that usually this works and that the child calms down fairly quickly and really doesn't take too much time.
By removing the child, in this case his son, from the immediate situation and providing a change of scenery, the child is allowed to focus on something different. Once the child has the opportunity to change perspective, things get better quickly and the child has better understanding of his place within the family and begins to understand the family's concept of acceptable behavior

He kindly provided a picture of the process which I share with you now.
Scroll down

View attachment 894

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
Mmm. Did you send her up to Scotland Dom. This could be the Irn Brew effect......:biggrin:;)

I'm stunned that a Glaswegian can't spell "Irn Bru" properly. It's our other national drink, for heaven's sake !! ;)

Are they feeding your daughter chocolate at Nursery, Dom ? My daughter used to go utterly hyper after chocolate and could steam around for about 4 or 5 hours on a chocolate-induced high !

ChrisKH

Guru
Piemaster said:
Co-incidentally sent to me yesterday by a friend

Most of the world's people think it's improper to spank children.

The other day I was talking to one of my friends about methods used to discipline children.
We talked about 'time outs', grounding, holding back 'rewards' until the child displayed desired behavior etc. One of the things we discussed was the act of spanking and my friend explained that no, he does not spank any of his children.
He explained that what he does is to take the misbehaving child out for a ride in the car and talk. He said that usually this works and that the child calms down fairly quickly and really doesn't take too much time.
By removing the child, in this case his son, from the immediate situation and providing a change of scenery, the child is allowed to focus on something different. Once the child has the opportunity to change perspective, things get better quickly and the child has better understanding of his place within the family and begins to understand the family's concept of acceptable behavior

He kindly provided a picture of the process which I share with you now.
Scroll down

View attachment 894

Which is great until your child has a hissy fit at 35000 feet in a plane......;)

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
goo_mason said:
I'm stunned that a Glaswegian can't spell "Irn Bru" properly. It's our other national drink, for heaven's sake !! ;)

Are they feeding your daughter chocolate at Nursery, Dom ? My daughter used to go utterly hyper after chocolate and could steam around for about 4 or 5 hours on a chocolate-induced high !

I doubt it, they seem to be quite strict about food and drink there. I've even been told off for sending her in with a Fruit Shoot and had to take it home again! :biggrin:

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
User1314 said:
"Don't they grow up quick nowadays?"

Don't worry.

According to a report today they'll still be living with you when they're in their thirties.

No she will not!

Last night was not much better, her mum took her up at 7:30, I went up to her ten minutes later as she was making a right racket and decided that she was so wide awake that I would bring her back down again. She went up again at 9:30 and I had to then go up again as she was crying and told her in no uncertain terms that she had to go to sleep, which she then did.

I got her up at 6:10 this morning though! :biggrin:

How many hours of sleep should she be getting at this age? I am beginning to think that eleven at night and one or two at lunch time is too simply much.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
User1314 said:
There's no one right way to bring up kids.

IMHO as long as you think about what you're doing, (which you are), open them to a variety of influences and interests, let them fail at things and get hurt, encourage their interests, let then make friends, discipline them to work and learn you'll be fine.

Sounds complicated but I try and do that with mine (2 boys 8 and 5) in a somewhat shambolic way. Sometimes feel guilty about being lazy about not doing it. Sometimes feel guilty about being too hard on them (they hate doing lines).

All you can do is push them in the right direction. Cliches, I know, but truisms.

Having said that, I'm glad I've got two boys. I don't feel guilty about being "robust" with them. Not sure how I would have coped with a girl or two.

Yes, it's hard to be tough on such a cute little Daddy's girl! :smile::biggrin:

Monkey Boy

.....and decided that she was so wide awake that I would bring her back down again. She went up again at 9:30....[/quote]

Ha! Did that too until I realized that he was exercising control. It can get even more out of hand quite quickly....before you know it they are demaning this and that and you find yourself giving in all the time. Then they have most of the control in the house and you are just a pawn in their little 'pushing the boundaries' game.

We nipped it in the bud 'tout suite'....bed time is bed time and that is that. 2 or 3 nights of shinanigans and it's all sorted. It's tough love...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
NickM said:
I've been impressing on my little friend Joe (aged 5) the importance of avoiding it whenever possible.

Do you think that is a responsible thing to say to a young lad about to start school Nick? What do his parents think of this?

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
NickM said:
Responsible? The "responsible" thing to do would be to collaborate in turning him into a docile drone, no doubt... :evil:

Surely a good education is pivotal to a good future quality of life?

Top Bottom