Don't you get fed up with negative comments at work sometimes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I get a few anti-cyclist comments at work sometimes. I tend to take them on this chin or give back as good as I get, or maybe try and educate if they are willing to listen.

However, sometimes the comments from people can be very negative and do get too me.

One such comment was from a Matron at a hospital I sometimes work at. I must have passed her whilst she was stuck in traffic by some traffic lights.

She stopped me at work whilst I was going into the changing rooms. She told me that I was very dangerous cyclist. I asked why. She told me that my flashing lights were very distracting and dangerous. I told her that was the idea of the lights and it improved my safety, and her seeing me was what I wanted. She said that she was distracted because of the lights and she was looking out for an ambulance not a cyclist (ambulances by us have lots of flashing white LEDs). She told me that it was illegal to have flashing lights on a bike and when I told her they were she did not believe me. She would not listen to my side at all and continued to tell me that I was dangerous and doing something illegal.

I have used these lights on my bike for a few years now and have never caused an accident. I use a exposure Strada on continuous setting on the bars and a exposure joystick on my helmet on flashing mode.

Considering she was senior management (matron) I found the hole episode uncomfortable and felt intimidated by her.

I will see if she makes any further comments about my cycling.

Any thoughts?

Peteaud

Veteran
My normal remark to someone like that is "i will leave it there as you are to stupid to understand" however this does get me into trouble.

I am lucky, my work has about 30% of the (small) number of employees as cycle nuts.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just flip the comment she makes back on her. Such as
'you saw me because of my lights, and didn't he me. Job done'

Or make an equally idiotic comment about her car. Such as
'The paint on your car is rather dark, I have trouble seeing it. You should think about putting some hi-viz on it'

I'm lucky that a lot of people at my workplace cycle and they all know what I do and what kind of a cyclist I am. So I tend not to get that b/s.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
I was thinking about making a personal note of this episode just in case she makes these comments to me a habit. She can generally be negative at work. The way she came across was intimidating and she was in the right and I was definitely doing something illegal and in the wrong.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would politely suggest to her that her attitude could be interpreted as harassment and she should stop there before it is.
+1 .
She was pissed off at you beating her to work so decided to make ill informed comments , if it carries on then have a case.Are you in a union or have a superior you can report this too if it continues?

yello

I've touched on this before (and I was reminded of it earlier today when listening to Radio 4 on poetry, of all things) but I do honestly think there is something negative/cynical about the British generally. It's in the humour too, which is why I like it. Please don't think me as being critical. I really am trying to use those words (negative/cynical) comparatively, I don't mean them in a derogatory sense.

I only say this as someone brought up in NZ and having worked in the US, both places where attitudes are different. I have no idea where the British psyche/attitude comes from, what motivates it, and I wouldn't want to guess. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just think of a really witty reply.

Had all sorts over the years. In a construction company, a fat 'mate' used to complain madly about cyclists - I'll run them off the road etc..., then when I started riding 30 miles to work and the same home (just before I left for a job nearer home) he thought I was superman - changed his outlook.

Same company, the ladies threatened to wait outside the loo to see me in my kit..:wacko:

Where I am now, I wander through the office in my kit, with bike, and just get called 'spiderman' or 'sonic the hedgehog' with my helmet. Had some nice - 'oh you look fit' comments !

My boss just says.. 'isn't it about time you gave it up' - towards my injuries - I am slightly older than him, but significantly lighter and fitter.... WTF ?

teletext45

Well I'm a student, currently in the last year of my degree. I'm not really a typical student; I don't really drink, I get my work in on time, if not early and i work really hard at college. I've been quite fortunate that my pre-degree employer has given me an amount of part time work to fit in around my degree. Every time i go in i get nothing but stick about being a student bum, apparently i my work colleagues money because of the student loans I've received etc etc. It's so frustrated how i made the bold move to leave my job and pursue a better career and future, i shake it off as i think their jealous that I've trying to give myself a better future.

As far as cycling goes, one of the lads at work has been constantly telling me how easy cycling is to the point where he got a bike. Went for some racing and he kept flying off and generally took the p**s. This went on for a few miles until i took us to my favorite 12% climb, his face dropped and he walked up most of it! :tongue: I don't condone this sort of thing, as i do train with a few newbies to my club, but put it this way, he has great deal more respect for me :P

oldroadman

Veteran
Ignore 'em, and mention that the average cyclist lives a longer, healthier life than most other people, does not get running injuries, and does not need a special facility as swimming (which is excellent exercise done properly) does. Plus it gets you to work for no fuel cost, no pollution.
Just yesterday at a blood test the nurse mentioned cycling and said it was dangerous - because a friend had hit a car - who was on he wrong side of the road on a blind bend - staggering!

Sobrique

To be fair - flashy lights on a bike are only recently legal - before 2005 it was illegal. I'm afraid I still don't really think they're a good idea. Flashiing is good for drawing attention, but it's not nearly as good for being able to tell position and velocity. I think I'd tend to encourage static lights first. (but supplemented by flashing perhaps :smile:

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Yep, that's what I said constant light on the bars and flashing on the helmet.

Rear lights are flashing on bike, constant on rucksack and flashing on helmet.

Top Bottom