Don't you get fed up with negative comments at work sometimes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The person in question is probably a frigid and frustrated person:laugh:

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't....What if you had no light's at all or a very dim on? I get called druggy cyclist at work as I take a number of suppliments through the day at break and lunch time. They love it when a cyclist tests positive as I get some stick. I do tell them to Google drugs in football and sport to shut their mouth's because it does not come up smelling of roses....

Regards

I pointed out that the worst positive test rate of any sport is apparently Crown Green Bowls!

More to do with undeclared prescribed beta blockers etc than performance enhancing, but the fact stands!

Bicycle

Sorry Mate I Didn't See You, I Was Distracted By Your Flashing Lights. :rolleyes:

I like that and I think my original post slightly asked for it, but my point was a serious one.

Any road user is taking in a huge quantity of signals all the time. Many of them will modify that road user's speed, direction or other choices.

(This is being brought home to me all over again as I've recently taught my eldest to drive and am now riding a lot with her two younger brothers).

When I drive or cycle on the road, I find that some signals are distractions that I find unhelpful. Among those are flashing front bicycle lamps, headlights left on full beam, indicators left on, front fog lights used in good visibility, high-intensity rear lights used in good visibility, motorcycles with headlights shining right into my RVM, hazard lights used in a line of parked cars, giving the impression of direction indicators and many others.

OT but relevant: Some unhelpul signals are (bizarrely) design features on modern cars. Alfa and SEAT are among others to go for the recent vogue of putting rear lights in concentric rings, so indicators can blur out when braking. Also, front indicators close to main headlights can be hard to spot from some angles. I have no idea why car manufacturers do this, but we all see it every day - and often in very late models.

In the scheme of things, flashing front lights are nowhere in terms of annoyance, but they are 'on the list' nonetheless. As I said earlier, I often use a flashing rear light when cycling as I find that helpful as a driver in pinpointing bicycles in a long stream of tail lights. If something makes sense to me as a driver observing bicycles, I adopt it. Flashing front lights make no sense to me as a driver, so I don't use them on my bicycle. This is a matter of opinion and I support fully any cyclist who thinks they do make sense.

I have absolutely no issue with the use of flashing front lights, but I choose not use them myself for the reason given.

I still think the matron in question had a bee in her bonnet about a 'nothing' issue and probably displayed poor workplace behaviour, but she is not alone in disliking flashing front lights.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Also i like to tell em im out pulling the caravan at weekend at around 23mph , not actually going anywhere just to annoy other drivers, its Not true but it really winds em all up.

Moss

I get a few anti-cyclist comments at work sometimes. I tend to take them on this chin or give back as good as I get, or maybe try and educate if they are willing to listen.

However, sometimes the comments from people can be very negative and do get too me.

One such comment was from a Matron at a hospital I sometimes work at. I must have passed her whilst she was stuck in traffic by some traffic lights.

She stopped me at work whilst I was going into the changing rooms. She told me that I was very dangerous cyclist. I asked why. She told me that my flashing lights were very distracting and dangerous. I told her that was the idea of the lights and it improved my safety, and her seeing me was what I wanted. She said that she was distracted because of the lights and she was looking out for an ambulance not a cyclist (ambulances by us have lots of flashing white LEDs). She told me that it was illegal to have flashing lights on a bike and when I told her they were she did not believe me. She would not listen to my side at all and continued to tell me that I was dangerous and doing something illegal.

I have used these lights on my bike for a few years now and have never caused an accident. I use a exposure Strada on continuous setting on the bars and a exposure joystick on my helmet on flashing mode.

Considering she was senior management (matron) I found the hole episode uncomfortable and felt intimidated by her.

I will see if she makes any further comments about my cycling.

Any thoughts?

A Nice comment I used to a colleague a few years back : How the hell did you get in to Management, after undergoing a lobotomy to remove your common sense? He walked off without saying a word.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Considering she was senior management (matron) I found the hole episode uncomfortable and felt intimidated by her.

I will see if she makes any further comments about my cycling.

Any thoughts?

Yes, 2 thoughts actually, firstly, some of us have to pay good money to be intimidated by Matron, and secondly, just wait still she starts making comments about your helmet usage ....

subaqua

What’s the point
5 of us out of 20 here who cycle regularly , although I am the only "nutter" that commutes by bike. and thats from those who cycle regularly.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Dozy old bat... !

Keep a note if it bothers you, but really, sometimes these opinionated people in middle-ranking authority positions are intolerable !

brokenflipflop

Veteran
A lady of relative power who works in the public sector who thinks so highly of herself and her position in the hospital that she thinks her power extends to road users outside working hours.....what a surprise. I'd tell her to swearword off and mind her own swearword business.:boxing:

I do not like to undermine people, however I have once made an exception... and it was a Nurse!

I as on a course and part of it was about evidence based practice. At the morning break one of the other guys on the course and I started taking bikes. She started having a go because he wasn't wearing a helmet.

I ignored it, but then half-way through the next session started on again about how irresponsible it was. After a few minutes I asked what she based this on, and she couldn't list a single paper, not even Rivara and Thompson. However it was "obvious"

Subtly asked if she really though that was a good example of evidence based practice, which somehow stopped the helmet debate

Top Bottom