Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Picked up one of the commuter newspapers on the train this morning and there was an article on EPO and blood-doping suggesting that recent studies show they may not be effective as previously thought and that there is a big placebo effect! i'll see if I can find an English language reference.

Edit: this is one of the papers that was referred to I think..

http://www.hzg.de/imperia/md/conten.../bibliothek/journals/2014/hardemann_32186.pdf
I haven't got time to read that carefully at the moment, but it is an interesting idea.

Having said that ... I don't believe that Armstrong achieved what he did having taken a drug which he believed would let him sprint up mountains on his bike, but which didn't really do much!

U

User169

I haven't got time to read that carefully at the moment, but it is an interesting idea.

Having said that ... I don't believe that Armstrong achieved what he did having taken a drug which he believed would let him sprint up mountains on his bike, but which didn't really do much!

That's certainly the way it looked, Colin!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Having written that ...

I noticed on one of my hilly routes that if I think about the little steep climb ahead, I grind my way up it and find it tough. I did it last week and was distracted, thinking about an old friend who died recently ... I suddenly realised that I was at the top of the climb without having noticed it! :whistle:

That must be the answer - I'll phone all the pro cyclists right now and say "see all this drugs shite, forget it. Have a blether, stop for a cup of tea, relax. It's all cool."

Bingo.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Interesting article and food for thought but the performance drop-off of some notable dopers after being caught would suggest otherwise.
It's hard to believe that the placebo effect allowed Andy Schleck, Basso and Scarponi to fly away from quality fields although I appreciate that is based solely on jaundiced observation rather than science.
JTL is a recent case in point.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Don't you wish these fecking unrepentant dinosaurs would just fúck off out of cycling?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/news-shorts-armstrong-treated-unfairly-says-yates

Top Bottom