Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buddfox

Veteran
Not quite. Apparently he didn't pose as the runner in order to take a drug test, he borrowed his ID to get into the athletes' village (not all coaches and staff have been allowed full access). While he was there, he (well, Rotich) was tagged for a random test. Instead of just admitting he wasn't Rotich, he took the test... but it's obvious he isn't Rotich.

And Rotich took the test as soon as he found out, which was apparently only a few hours later. It still speaks to the attitude and approach that Kenya takes to doping control in general though. He clearly thought this was acceptable, and given he's a coach, the mind boggles.

Not quite. Apparently he didn't pose as the runner in order to take a drug test, he borrowed his ID to get into the athletes' village (not all coaches and staff have been allowed full access). While he was there, he (well, Rotich) was tagged for a random test. Instead of just admitting he wasn't Rotich, he took the test... but it's obvious he isn't Rotich.

And Rotich took the test as soon as he found out, which was apparently only a few hours later. It still speaks to the attitude and approach that Kenya takes to doping control in general though. He clearly thought this was acceptable, and given he's a coach, the mind boggles.

Aye, right...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Aye, right...

Unless you think the Kenyan coach was psychic - i.e. he could have anticipated a random test for a particular athlete, there's no particular reason to be suspicious. As many reporters have pointed out, there's a lot of free stuff (especially food and drink) in the Athlete's Village. Those who don't have accreditation have all kinds of rather more mundane reasons for wanting to get in for a while.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Unless you think the Kenyan coach was psychic - i.e. he could have anticipated a random test for a particular athlete, there's no particular reason to be suspicious. As many reporters have pointed out, there's a lot of free stuff (especially food and drink) in the Athlete's Village. Those who don't have accreditation have all kinds of rather more mundane reasons for wanting to get in for a while.
WHat baffles me is why he went along with the test though. Why not say "you got me bang to rights ... I was blagging some free oatcakes" Seemingly he owned up soon afterwards, and the team sent the athlete.

I don't find it so much suspicious as just a bit odd. But there's nowt as queer as folk I suppose.

It does suggest a bit of a poor attitude towards dope testing in the Kenyan camp.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Educate me on the meme. Who's the finger pointing bloke in the raincoat whose picture is being used to indicate accusation?

Is his name Jack Hughes?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Here's the clip:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
WHat baffles me is why he went along with the test though. Why not say "you got me bang to rights ... I was blagging some free oatcakes" Seemingly he owned up soon afterwards, and the team sent the athlete.

I don't find it so much suspicious as just a bit odd. But there's nowt as queer as folk I suppose.

It does suggest a bit of a poor attitude towards dope testing in the Kenyan camp.

I think it's indicatative of a culture with an entirely different attitude to law and government. Rules are made to be got around. And everything is corrupt, so you just do what seems to work at the time.

And the athlete he posed as was 800-meter runner Ferguson Rotich, so watch out for him being on fire in heat 1 at 2.10pm today...
He was 2nd in his heat and qualified for the next round.

I'm going to see if he's on twitter and see if he'll send me his accreditation after the games finish

Top Bottom