Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Little story from NL...

https://www.omroepgelderland.nl/nieuws/2304421/Geluksthee-met-doping-kost-atlete-Europese-titel

Jasmijn Lau, the biggest young talent in NL middle-distance running, has been stripped of the 5000m European title that she won last year (not sure if it was under 18 or under 20).

Failed a dope test after the event, ran the Linford Christie “happy tea” defence, which largely seems to have been accepted and has been banned for one day coinciding with the race, so loses her title.

Her comments in the piece make unhappy reading - “I know I was ran faster than everyone else, so this isn’t a big deal”. No real contrition or awareness of how this looks.

She’s subsequently moved to the US - any guesses as to where she is?

The day after this news broke here, the training group my daughter runs with posted a long note on doping on their fb page. Seems desperately sad to have to talk about doping with a 12 years old.

hoopdriver

Guru
How times change. When I was 12 I couldn’t even spell EPO.

In fact, I’m still not sure of the spelling - had to copy it out of a book just now...

Just watching the opening ceremony of the winter Olympics, the only believable part of it.

I wonder if anyone will have got their 'preparation' wrong and gets busted?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just watching the opening ceremony of the winter Olympics, the only believable part of it.

I wonder if anyone will have got their 'preparation' wrong and gets busted?
The cold can play merry hell with people's asthma.

One for @DP - Long track speed skating is as Dutch as hagelslag and not saying please, but I've always had it down as a sport that would benefit from a bit of chemical assistance. I know a few Russian skaters have been caught (no!). Is there any scrutiny of the Netherland's success, or are they happy with the medals and don't want to ask too many questions?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Robin Cousins just said something along the lines of "if you break the rules you will always be found out."

What a fud.
After listening to that interpretation of 'Imagine', I'm popping into town for some ketamine quick-sharp.

U

User169

The cold can play merry hell with people's asthma.

One for @DP - Long track speed skating is as Dutch as hagelslag and not saying please, but I've always had it down as a sport that would benefit from a bit of chemical assistance. I know a few Russian skaters have been caught (no!). Is there any scrutiny of the Netherland's success, or are they happy with the medals and don't want to ask too many questions?

Dunno Bollo - I've always wondered the same about rowing. I don't sense much scrutiny or scepticism by the public at large and don't hear doping mentioned on NOS (equivalent of BBC). A bit like the GB track bike team where most people only tune in for the olympics I guess.

The Lotto Jumbo team here is actually a bike team and a skating team, so I suppose there must be some cross-over of staff and expertise. One of the top skaters, Sven Kramer, was a very handy junior cyclist - I've seen a picture of him alongside Mollema on the podium after a junior race and he seems to do a lot of cycling as cross training.

(Ed. And the Dutch do say please, but, confusingly, only when they give you stuff)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Dunno Bollo - I've always wondered the same about rowing. I don't sense much scrutiny or scepticism by the public at large and don't hear doping mentioned on NOS (equivalent of BBC). A bit like the GB track bike team where most people only tune in for the olympics I guess.

The Lotto Jumbo team here is actually a bike team and a skating team, so I suppose there must be some cross-over of staff and expertise. One of the top skaters, Sven Kramer, was a very handy junior cyclist - I've seen a picture of him alongside Mollema on the podium after a junior race and he seems to do a lot of cycling as cross training.

(Ed. And the Dutch do say please, but, confusingly, only when they give you stuff)

Yes, that's the comparison I was talking about and rowing is another good example. It's that combination of a dope-friendly sport coupled with an audience that's happy enough not to have the questions asked.

I've skated in the past and young Bolletta skates now so I take an interest in the ice events. I can believe that the qualities of a decent TTer or track-cyclist would work well for the ice track events.

(...the please thing is a running joke with a Dutch friend who claims to be wound up by the endless pleases and thank yous that occur during any interaction between two UK nationals, even if it's a car crash)

((...the Basingstoke Ice Arena is under threat! Sign the petition!))

hoopdriver

Guru
I've been watching the curling and my inner humorist is wondering what possible performance enhancing drugs they use to cheat in that one? :smile:

Surely drug testing curling competitors must be an almost comical exercise....

Last edited:
Top Bottom