Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We've got Linford Christie moaning in the Daily Express (don't laugh) this morning that he wasn't knighted because of his colour! Nothing to do with the record amount of Nandrolone ever detected in an athlete, then?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
We've got Linford Christie moaning in the Daily Express (don't laugh) this morning that he wasn't knighted because of his colour! Nothing to do with the record amount of Nandrolone ever detected in an athlete, then?
Seriously? Is embarassing.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My daughter used to skate at a decent enough level and one or two skaters at her rink competed at a national level, including the British junior champion of the day.

Behind the sequins and makeup figure skating is a mean and nasty sport (I sat through “I Tonya” just going ‘Yep. Yep. That’). My suspicion would misuse of pain medication to deal with the many injuries, but whonose. Always seems to happen to the Russians ROC though. Such bad luck.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My daughter used to skate at a decent enough level and one or two skaters at her rink competed at a national level, including the British junior champion of the day.

Behind the sequins and makeup figure skating is a mean and nasty sport (I sat through “I Tonya” just going ‘Yep. Yep. That’). My suspicion would misuse of pain medication to deal with the many injuries, but whonose. Always seems to happen to the Russians ROC though. Such bad luck.
Turns out I was wrong - I know, someone on the internet admitting error. It’ll probably bring it down - but reports now say that the Russian skater Kamila Valieva has tested positive for trimetazidine, which according to the beeb

“is used in the prevention of angina attacks, but is on the banned list because it is classed as a cardiac metabolic modulator and has been proven to improve physical efficiency.”

Given that she’s a world class 15 year old athlete and there was no medical exemption in place, you have to ask what legitimate reason there could be for taking an angina drug.

TBH I think she’s more victim than perp. You’ve got to ask what agency she has as someone in their mid teens who’s likely been hothoused since she could stand. Ban the coaching team for life - head coach, physio, choreographer - the lot. They’ll all have known if this was going on.

DRM

Guru
Turns out I was wrong - I know, someone on the internet admitting error. It’ll probably bring it down - but reports now say that the Russian skater Kamila Valieva has tested positive for trimetazidine, which according to the beeb

“is used in the prevention of angina attacks, but is on the banned list because it is classed as a cardiac metabolic modulator and has been proven to improve physical efficiency.”

Given that she’s a world class 15 year old athlete and there was no medical exemption in place, you have to ask what legitimate reason there could be for taking an angina drug.

TBH I think she’s more victim than perp. You’ve got to ask what agency she has as someone in their mid teens who’s likely been hothoused since she could stand. Ban the coaching team for life - head coach, physio, choreographer - the lot. They’ll all have known if this was going on.
Ban the whole country, it’s been going on for decades, with the old Soviet Union and East Germany in particular, doping is out of order, but doping school kids is utterly abhorrent , I shudder to think of how many kids have been damaged by these practices and dumped on the scrap heap before they were even eligible to leave school, even their athletes were professional in everything but name long before the olympics were open to pro athletes

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ban the whole country,
I think they have, haven't they? We don't get Russia, because they're banned. But we do get ROC, and those two special letters make all the difference and everything is fine because ... er ... because ... well it just is ... OK? :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member

Winter Olympics: Kamila Valieva 'entourage' investigation would be welcome - IOC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/60358382

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Kamila Valieva is only 15 years old. Her coach has a previous record of pushing very young athletes to extremes. The ROC knew Kamila had failed a drug test and stripped her of the Russian Championships, which she won in December. But still sent her to the Olympics. This is in the middle of a 2 year International ban for Russia.

It would be no shock to see the ROC team disqualified from the team event, which they have already won gold in. I would expect Kamila to be banned from the singles event next week. She has been taken advantage of and it is a shame as she is superb. What is sad is that it is expected that the team medals will not be handed out at the Olympics because of "Legal issues". I feel sorry for those who have worked hard legally for years and won medals. They will not get their moment on the Olympic podium as they deserve.

Some of Kamilas team should face criminal charges imo.

Top Bottom