Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Ban the whole country, it’s been going on for decades, with the old Soviet Union and East Germany in particular, doping is out of order, but doping school kids is utterly abhorrent , I shudder to think of how many kids have been damaged by these practices and dumped on the scrap heap before they were even eligible to leave school, even their athletes were professional in everything but name long before the olympics were open to pro athletes
There are stories circulating claiming the drug testers of Valieva have received death threats.

The British journalists who revealed this failed test to the press have been openly threatened by Russian journalists who've warned them to check their tea for Polonium. Other British journalists in Beijing have been warned by Russian journalists not to cross them as they'll regret doing so, apparently.

Last edited:
What is interesting is why the WADA lab in Stockholm which has nothing to do with Russia take weeks to do the test or reveal the results. . Sample taken on 25 Dec, results issued on 8th Feb. Talk about timing!

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
There are stories circulating claiming the drug testers of Valieva have received death threats.

The British journalists who revealed this failed test to the press have been openly threatened by Russian journalists who've warned them to check their tea for Polonium. Other British journalists in Beijing have been warned by Russian journalists not to cross them as they'll regret doing so, apparently.
I’m not surprised at that, I’ve seen the documentary Icarus on netflix which was basically this, the Russian anti doping guy featured was smuggled out to the U.S in fear of his life

DRM

Guru
I think they have, haven't they? We don't get Russia, because they're banned. But we do get ROC, and those two special letters make all the difference and everything is fine because ... er ... because ... well it just is ... OK? :wacko:
That’s what I mean, if you’re Russian, your not competing, stay at home, R.O.C, Russia, CCCP, whatever you call it, you’re not welcome

That’s what I mean, if you’re Russian, your not competing, stay at home, R.O.C, Russia, CCCP, whatever you call it, you’re not welcome
ROC was formed so innocent athletes are allowed to compete. Unfortunately it makes little difference. Agree that its time to ban the country no matter what they call themselves.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
ROC was formed so innocent athletes are allowed to compete. Unfortunately it makes little difference. Agree that its time to ban the country not matter wha they call themselves.
They’ve proved they can’t be trusted, in the words of Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli, Time to say goodbye

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I still rankled by thought they doped a minor. She probably has no clue she has been doped. Reminds me of East Germany.
Yep or coerced into it .

15 year old are young but not completely stupid. They will know anti doping places responsibility on the athlete alone so whether you're young or old you'll know to make sure of what you're doing.

DRM

Guru
15 year old are young but not completely stupid. They will know anti doping places responsibility on the athlete alone so whether you're young or old you'll know to make sure of what you're doing.
But they will have been told it’s all taken care of, in the Icarus documentary it was astounding that the Russians were able to take a sealed sample jar and work out how to open it without leaving any telltale evidence of damage, and the extent of rigging the sample cupboard in order to remove the samples locked inside, open the jar, swap the contents and replace the lid, all under WADA’s noses, the worst bit was Putin sat smirking at the news conference when it all came to light and was being denied

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What is interesting is why the WADA lab in Stockholm which has nothing to do with Russia take weeks to do the test or reveal the results. . Sample taken on 25 Dec, results issued on 8th Feb. Talk about timing!
Somewhere in one of the links above it said the ROC were notified of the results earlier but WADA does not publish doping results for minors, but now it has leaked out after ROC selected her. Total mess! Makes you realise the UCI isn't doing so bad recently.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s a total mess. She is being allowed to skate in the individual event with this hanging over her.
If she was over 18 she would be suspended instantly.
I only hope she doesn’t finish in the medals or this will just get even more messy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe so here, maybe less so in Russia where she will have been hot housed from a very young age and probably doesn't question the pill or injection given by coach or doctor if they lied about what it was. All very sad

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It’s a total mess. She is being allowed to skate in the individual event with this hanging over her.
If she was over 18 she would be suspended instantly.
I only hope she doesn’t finish in the medals or this will just get even more messy.
She is pretty likely to win, or was until she has to deal with all this, who knows how it will affect her now.

The delay in test results has been put down to Covid in Sweden which I guess is believable, without going all tinfoil hat, I wonder if the political situation between the West and Russia has any part to play.

Top Bottom