Double delivery - what would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
At the end of May I ordered some cycle parts costing £75 from a company. They were delivered at the beginning of June.

I was surprised to get an email yesterday telling me that the goods would be delivered today. Tem minutes ago a van pulled up and a duplicate delivery was received.

My bank statement confirms single payment.

What would you do?

Keep quiet?
Tell them?
Something else?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You should tell them, obviously. They must arrange collection or send you a postage label. If they don't, the items are yours eventually.

byegad

Legendary Member
Tell them. I don't hold out too much hope it will go well.
My experience is that they either expect you to do all the work, including paying up front for postage which, given their incompetence so far, may leave you out of pocket. OR They'll promise to send out 'a label' or arrange collection.
Over the years I've experienced all of the above. So much so, that if it costs less than a £10 note, I don't even bother.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Don't pay postage up front. You may never see it again. Also applies to fleaBay returns when item is faulty - insist on a label.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I often buy items from a large online cycle retailer. I have never once ordered haribos or any other confectionery from them but don't feel obliged to return these unwanted items.
Their former competitor won most of my business by including an extra tyre in one of my orders. A far more useful freebie than sweets which I don't eat.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm going to buck the trend and expose myself as the bounder I am and suggest you should base your decision on your impression of the company.

If it's independent and you've otherwise experienced good service, do the right thing. If it's a big chain / someone who has a ropey reputation, leave the 2nd delivery boxed up for a month and if you get no contact you've got some free spares ;)

Tell them. I don't hold out too much hope it will go well.
My experience is that they either expect you to do all the work, including paying up front for postage which, given their incompetence so far, may leave you out of pocket. OR They'll promise to send out 'a label' or arrange collection.
Over the years I've experienced all of the above. So much so, that if it costs less than a £10 note, I don't even bother.
That's disappointing - personally if a company expected me to pay to rectify their mistake while I'm holding all the cards I'd tell them to jog on.

Reminds me of a situation some years ago... ate at a chain restaurant with the mrs and when the bill came half the stuff was missing. Being the idealistic, morally-correct idiot I am / was I let the staff know of their mistake. The clearly disinterested, rude 12 yr old serving us actually seemed resentful of the effort required to revise the bill and I left thoroughly angry at myself for going out of my way to do the right thing.

In an independent I'd do the same again, but never again in a large chain.. and I'll never eat at Byron Burger either as the quality of their staff has been consistently pitiful IMO (probably due to cack training and wages, so IMO they deserve the repercussions).. but I digress!

Good luck in finding an agreeable resolution to your moral dilemma!

D

Deleted member 26715

I have a similar situation, I ordered something from an online retailer at the beginning of April was a delivery time of 3 days, I specifically ordered from them because of the 3 days. The bike was not rideable because of the parts required, 7 days later they still hadn't turned up with no response from the retailer. I then ordered from another retailer (cheaper as it happens) which arrived next day as promised.

I cancelled the first order then 3 days later I got an email to state that they had shipped, I opened a case with PayPal, the goods arrived I refused them & watched them being tracked back to the warehouse arrived 3rd week in April. PayPal refunded my money at the beginning of May. 2 days ago I got an email to say that they have now received the items back, that I am due a refund & it would be processed onto my PayPal account. Today I've received an email saying there is an issue being able to refund to my PayPal & can they have my bank details to do a transfer. They must be in a huge mess

Top Bottom