Double delivery - what would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have a similar situation, I ordered something from an online retailer at the beginning of April was a delivery time of 3 days, I specifically ordered from them because of the 3 days. The bike was not rideable because of the parts required, 7 days later they still hadn't turned up with no response from the retailer. I then ordered from another retailer (cheaper as it happens) which arrived next day as promised.

I cancelled the first order then 3 days later I got an email to state that they had shipped, I opened a case with PayPal, the goods arrived I refused them & watched them being tracked back to the warehouse arrived 3rd week in April. PayPal refunded my money at the beginning of May. 2 days ago I got an email to say that they have now received the items back, that I am due a refund & it would be processed onto my PayPal account. Today I've received an email saying there is an issue being able to refund to my PayPal & can they have my bank details to do a transfer. They must be in a huge mess
Sucks having to deal with other people's shortcomings (as well as my own!) doesn't it?

I bought a pair of bottle cages that turned out to be badly made.. took near-on two weeks, two emails and a Paypal dispute raised to get a response, then progress continued to be slow. Once I'd got them sent back the refund was quick (including the cost of return postage) however it was still probably an hour or more of my time spent chasing the issue / packing them up / getting them sent; all due to no fault of my own :sad:

tom73

Guru
Tell them and it's up to them. Can't remember how long they have to sort it until you can keep them. It's covered by unsolicited goods and services.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ordered some electrical parts from a UK company on ebay a few years back. They didn't arrive so after a week or so I got in touch with the company and they said that they would send me another lot. The replacement parcel arrived quite quickly but there was double the number of parts in the box AND they refunded the payment! I got in touch again to tell them about their mistake but they never even bothered to reply... :laugh:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Tell them and it's up to them. Can't remember how long they have to sort it until you can keep them. It's covered by unsolicited goods and services.

AFAIK - not quite.
If someone sends something to you that you have not ordered, out of the blue then that is classed as unsolicited goods, and you're free to keep them. However if they're sent in error (either as a duplicate delivery, or simply to the wrong address) then you have to give them back - or at least let them know the goods have been delivered wrongly and give them "reasonable" time to arrange collection... think the timescale is weeks rather than months.

btw - IANAL. so dont take my word for it. Personally I'd be telling them they had 14 days to collect/arrange postage or I'd be disposing of them.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
there's some pretty mean folks on here on about unsolicitated goods and rights and what no

Just do the right thing and tell 'em they've sent you two lots, and offer to return.
Doubtless they'll return the postage, but I'd not fuss unduly about pre-payed envelopes and what not.

Fair enough if they've sent you two sofas or whatever, they can pick it up.

By way of comparison, a colleague left her notebook on the train, and a kind chap picked it up, and he found my phone number in it and rang me.
He posted it back, and I tried to contact him to return the postage and he just wasn't bothered for a couple of quid, so we made do with thanking him.

I too have also had wrong items sent to me, and typically the supplier isn't bothered about getting them back, but I'd still try my best.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Personally I'd email them to tell them and see what happens. They might say "just keep it". If they want it back I wouldn't bear any up front shipping costs. I might pop a small packet of Haribo in when I return it.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Wouldn't it have been easier just to have refused to take the delivery and it would then be the delivery company's responsibility to return the package?
Unless you were expecting something else to be delivered and thought it was that of course.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In line with others upthread, tell them. It has happened to me a couple of times and the suppliers have said keep the goods. It engendered goodwill.

GM

Legendary Member
Arrange for them to collect it..... Several years ago I had a double delivery, I ordered a radiator, from a building supplier and two were delivered. Queried it with the driver, it's got your name on both boxes the driver said, and left sharpish. I phoned the supplier and told them of their mistake.The chap on the phone wasn't a bit bothered, and said OK leave it with me and I'll arrange someone to pick it up. Not even a thank you!
....and it wasn't a cheap one neither!

CharlesF

Guru
You must tell them; if they had short-changed you, you would demand restoration. Works both ways.

I ordered a camera for my son, just before his first Afgan tour, and the camera shop guaranteed courier delivery by a certain date. Nothing arrived, I got on the phone and they went out of their way to deliver the replacement on time.

A week later, the original camera arrived; they weren’t interested as they had claimed against DPD. I consciously contacted DPD, who promised to collect it. They never did and I sold it for more than I paid. Sorted!

MarkF

Guru
It's Emo Philips time .......again.:okay:

I was walking down fifth avenue today and I found a wallet, and I was gonna keep it, rather than return it, but I thought: well, if I lost a hundred and fifty dollars, how would I feel? And I realized I would want to be taught a lesson.

Top Bottom