Double delivery - what would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I'd do the right thing, call the company, let them know of their error and ask how they would like to get their stuff back. Don't pay for any shipping. Let them figure that out by either picking the stuff up from you the same way it was delivered or by sending you a shipping label. If they come and pick it up, get a receipt.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
At the end of May I ordered some cycle parts costing £75 from a company. They were delivered at the beginning of June.

I was surprised to get an email yesterday telling me that the goods would be delivered today. Tem minutes ago a van pulled up and a duplicate delivery was received.

My bank statement confirms single payment.

What would you do?

Keep quiet?
Tell them?
Something else?
That you have to ask the question is a poor reflection on yourself. Why should you benefit from someone's error when you are clearly very aware the error has occurred?

It's the company's responsibility to organise collection. All it's going to cost you is a five minute email, probably the same time it took to make your original post and far, far less than the time you'll have spent reading the thread.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I would let them know, but certainly wouldn't be putting myself out taking it to a post office, etc. They would have to arrange collection. I strongly suspect they might just tell you to keep it.

jay clock

Massive member
My (large US) employer once managed to pay my expenses twice - £703 plus an extra £703. I emailed the crap outsourced expenses admin co three times, then just assumed it was my employer's way of giving me a bonus without all the inconvenience of having to pay tax and NI

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for your replies. What an honest lot you/we are!

I intentionally didnt tell you the company, or what action I had already taken.

The company is a small bike builder, for whom I have great respect. I have arranged to buy the duplicate parts from them at a good price, saving myself the shipping costs, and saving them the return shipping.

I'm not sure I would have been so motivated (or able) to work for a solution with one of the big companies who are frequently out of stock, after taking our money. Probably would have sent an email and left the package in a corner of my workshop.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Good luck with that one if it's one of the biggies, it's almost impossible to call any of the big box shifters these days

Ok. Then email them. They all get email and read them. If they care about the value of the items they double delivered, they'll send for them. If not, the OP gets to keep them. The thing is to try. That's the right thing to do.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I got through to Amazon on the phone and asked them what they wanted me to do with a wrongly delivered parcel. They said keep it.

Agreed. If it costs more in shipping costs to get the stuff back, they won't bother. Their error so they "write it off". But if what was delivered has real value well beyond the cost of shipping, they'll arrange for it's return and pay for it's return.

Top Bottom