Down I go :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Damn, sorry to hear about this! I hope that they will exercise a little bit of goodwill and help you out. But Norm kind of has a point, they are not obligated to do so if it was a puncture, they can not be held responsible for the user crashing, unless a component actually failed, getting a puncture is not a component failure, its tough luck. But I would like to hear of a nice outcome where the staff exercise a bit of discretion and help you out the best they can and I expect they will help you out in some way, as they generally seem fairly lax with regards to these things. I would be very sure to make sure I thanked them properly if they do help you out though, as (assuming puncture, not failure) they are doing you a good turn, not fulfilling an obligation.

Did the tyre actually fail? Or was it the inner tube that failed? Or was it a puncture?

The one we got for my girlfriend last week is having shifting issues too, I thought it was her technique as she is new to road riding and STI shifters, well cycling in general, having not cycled for 10+ years, but today it was refusing to jump to the big ring so I had a look. Rear shifting is fine, front mech is not working as intended. I tried to re-index it tonight, re-set limit's, sorted cable tension etc, made some progress in that it will shift to all 3 chainrings now but something isn't quite right, whatever I do, it still rubs on the mech, big ring front, small ring back and it still rubs. It is most likely a setup issue, but something I have not much experience with so not going to fettle any more.

Also there was a rogue spoke nipple (all spokes on the wheel are fine, nothing loose, this is an extra) within the rear wheel rim, within the box section, it moves about between 2 spokes making a noise, but cant be removed without removing 1 spoke, I have never touched my wheels in this capacity so I am not going to start fiddling her wheels, else I will be in the dog house if I make a mess.

Called Decathlon, they said they will fit it in and resolve the issues, but will take them an overnight turnaround, not a big deal really, but annoying as now it's going to cost 2 more train journeys to drop off and pick up. Going to have to get it sorted quick sticks, while she is still enthusiastic, as she was looking forward to going for a ride this weekend.

Just one of them things!

I know they aren't obligated to do anything but they seem like a pretty good store and I've heard good things about them.

I took the wheel off and the tube had burst in three places.

Reckon it's worth taking the bike into the shop earlier in the day?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Are the levers actually bent or have they just twisted round out of position if its the latter they'll sort that fast by loosening them, twisting them back to the correct position and re-tightening. The should be able to sort out re true your wheel quickly too and you'll soon be back on the road, and thankfully its only material damage. Good Luck :smile:

I think they're just twisted out of position, probably just some adjusting, some truing and maybe some gear indexing.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I know they aren't obligated to do anything but they seem like a pretty good store and I've heard good things about them.

I took the wheel off and the tube had burst in three places.

Reckon it's worth taking the bike into the shop earlier in the day?

They are generally very good and I hope they will help you out.

That overnight timescale was just my local Branch's (Stockport) comment when I called them this evening after a frustrating 90 mins of tweaking the damn mech to no avail and stripping the wheel down and pulling the rim tape off to find the ninja spoke nipple but being unable to get it out. You branch may not be as mad busy, best to call them in the morning. Stockport branch cycling section is MAD busy atm, like still rammed right up to closing time.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Well that overnight timescale was just my local Branch's (Stockport) comment. You branch may not be as mad busy, best to call them in the morning. Stockport branch cycling section is MAD busy atm, like still rammed right up to closing time.

It was pretty quiet when I went in on Monday, then again, that was at about 8pm.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Also, not sure anyone asked you yet, but were you okay following the crash? Hopefully not too banged up.

Got a slice in my knee, road rash from getting my arm jammed in my friends rear wheel while we were still moving (spokes are sore!) but not too bad.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Stockport branch cycling section is MAD busy atm, like still rammed right up to closing time.
Yep, I was in there this afternoon at about 4pm and it was MAD busy! There must have been about 6 bikes being ridden around the store, mostly by unsupervised kids :angry:

Jazloc, I have read and reread this thread and I still don't know what you fairly expect the store to do? I guess they should probably take a look at the indexing but other than that it seems like you had a fast puncture? I have never heard of a tyre 'bursting' simultaneously in 3 places. I expect it much more likely the deflation and subsequent accident damage has caused 2 further punctures to the inner tube. I hardly think Decathlon can accept responsibility for a puncture to a tyre that has remained otherwise suitably inflated since it left the factory weeks or months ago?

Sometimes life just deals a sh*tty hand. You have to accept the loss, take it on the chin, chalk it down to experience, take the rap etc…. These things happen and to make a fuss about it being someone else’s fault just sounds, well….. childish.

By all means take it back to the store and tell them what happened, they may surprise you. Just don’t be upset or disappointed if they shrug their shoulders and give you an honest price to carry out the repairs required.

You always carry a puncture repair arrangement because punctures happen and are unpredictable. There is no reason to think anyone at fault, and no reason particularly to think the shop at fault and obliged to do anything more than listen sympathetically, and see if they can sell you something more.
It may be that the inner tube was defective, but by the time you settle that properly you have invested far more time than it is worth.

Be grateful for having fallen without too much personal damage.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
^ Skol, I think he's got a point. In my experience damage like that doesn't happen from a normal puncture, or even split in other places after the initial puncture. I've ridden the odd flat tire for yards and yards and not has anything like that and he isn't likely to have ridden at all on the flat tire as he came straight off. It really does sound as if the accident was caused by the tube blowing which happened because it was faulty.
If he was saying he looked at it and retrieved a thorn or a nail then I'd suggest that there was nothing the shop had to do about it. I know that if I was working in a shop where a customer came in and the tube was as described I would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt and make good on the repairs. From the retailers point of view it affords a lot of good will at virtually no cost.
I really don't see this as compensation culture gone mad, I really think he has a very fair point and I can't see how the retailer could honestly and definitely that the tube was not faulty given its state. The least he can do is present the bike and the facts as they are and see what happens.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Tyres will go and rupture on any bike, they will tell from the damage in tyre if it is a fault on the tyre or you just hit a flint ,I did the same on a 2 k bike but stayed on,I replaced both tyres with conti gaitors,a good bike mechanic will straighten the wheel for free, but it may be a learning kern in your cycling journey ,punctures while riding were covered on the cycle show lately may be worth a watch

Norm

I would be more than a little miffed if I was involved in a crash due to a tyre failure on a bike I had bought new less than 24 hours previously Norm, can't see why you are taking such a strong line on this one?
Tyre failure? Or puncture? If it is a tyre / tube failure, then yes, but the OP suggested puncture.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
What was the condition of the tyre, in the 3 places that the 'bursts' occured? Any shards of glass or anything stuck in there?? Sounds weird to me... Just to confirm - there is rim tape in place in between the tube and rim, isn't there?

Norm

can't see why you are taking such a strong line on this one?
By the way, Jazloc is a young lad, enthusiastic but still young.:thumbsup:
I know his age and his enthusiasm, my son is 14 and got himself a new bike just a couple of days before jaz. What I don't know is how age and / or enthusiasm has any relevance to liability for the damage.

My son would be horrified if he fell off and damaged his new bike. He wouldn't be looking to take it back and try to get a new one, though.

As for taking a time strong line, I've just been looking for the basis of a claim. As that appears to have been that 'they're a pretty good store', my questioning seems valid.

If the tyre / tube did fail, though, that's different.

Edwards80

Über Member
It's worth taking it in to explain what happened. A puncture can't really be blamed on them but when a spoke broke on one of the Aksium wheels I fitted to the Triban (after about 1200 miles) they fixed it for the cost of the spoke (a couple of quid). They're generally pretty fair when it comes to sorting problems out.

Don't go in demanding they replace bits of the bike though, I don't think they will take too kindly to that :smile:

Top Bottom