Downtube shifter & modern 105 front mech compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
On my turbo trainer I have a bike built of various bits that I had in my spares box. I'm currently only running with a rear mech, but I do have a 105 front mech (about 5 years old) which I could fit & use with a downtube shifter 🤔 Any reason why it wouldn't work? It will be a damn sight easier than buying a 105 sti shifter & for the occasional use it gets would be fine. TIA

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will work fine, as front mech down tube shifters aren't indexed.

I don't know about the 105 front but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work as you only have a small number of chainrings and a variable gear lever. You would have to use your ears when selecting gears. One problem you may come across is how the gear cable is fed to the mech. Does the cable run under the bottom bracket or does it run down the downtube and require the outer sleeve to be clamped near to the mech ?

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I don't know about the 105 front but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work as you only have a small number of chainrings and a variable gear lever. You would have to use your ears when selecting gears. One problem you may come across is how the gear cable is fed to the mech. Does the cable run under the bottom bracket or does it run down the downtube and require the outer sleeve to be clamped near to the mech ?

The cable will run under the bottom bracket, so that should be ok. I've managed for a year or two on the turbo without the large ring at the front, so I suspect it will be used very occasionally. But I have the mech, so for the price of a lever I may as well fit it. Watch this space, I'll post up if I have any problems :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well done on the upgrade to down tube shifter.

Top Bottom