Drago's murder deathkill slaughter massacre panic petrol buying watch!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
They wonder why there is an HGV driver shortage!
Just saw this advertised on Indeed jobs (the Stan Wardrop job on right of page), for a haulage company local-ish to me.
Class 1 (artic) driver preferably with ADR (dangerous goods licence)... £10 per hour :rolleyes:. Overtime rate of £15 per hour applies after 40 hours per week. Don't all be rushing out to spend £3k to get a licence to qualify yourselves to do this job now.
Bearing in mind im unskilled - a post grad in astronomy related field, and a career spent shooting guns or hitting people with a stick haven't left me qualified to do much in the real world - I wouldn't get out of bed for 10 sheets an hour. I wouldn't for 15 either.

I would rather work for free as a volunteer doing something I liked - and until recently I did - rather than do a sheet job for sheet money.

Society is warped. The waste of space, barely literate, semi-criminal pro footballers earn gazillions, which those that hold society together, the truckies, the nurses, teachers, newly qualified coppers, do pretty badly.

Driving professionally is a responsible job, especially so for hazardous loads, and it should be treated as a career with good pay and conditions to attract the best, most dilligent employees. Instead they pay peanuts, treat them worse than dustmen, then wonder why only half the vacancies get filled.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Someone at the Road Hauliers' Association (RHA) is being blamed with sparking the panic buying in an attempt to get cheaper foreign drivers back onto UK roads.

Following the money usually works, so there may be some truth in the claims.

From the media's point of view, the RHA is a recognised trade body, so there's no good reason not to report comments on road haulage which emanate from it.

https://news.sky.com/story/supply-c...torists-to-fill-up-when-they-need-to-12418458

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
_101980608_mediaitem101980605.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Interesting snippet on several levels.

It seems that suppliers are prioritising motorway service stations for deliveries. I know not why, but doubtless they have a rarionale for doing so (perhaps because motorway petrol sales are more profitable, or am I uber cynical?)

Anyway this has apparently led to a new phenomenon, people going up the motorway for a jolly solely to fill their cars up.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

It seems that suppliers are prioritising motorway service stations for deliveries. I know not why, but doubtless they have a rarionale for doing so (perhaps because motorway petrol sales are more profitable, or am I uber cynical?)

Anyway this has apparently led to a new phenomenon, people going up the motorway for a jolly solely to fill their cars up.

I suppose someone conking out on the motorway is less desirable than them conking out elsewhere from a road safety point of view.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I tend to agree with @roubaixtuesday in that we should show reverence to the esteemed creator of this thread and confine ourselves to...
I created this fine thread for you good folk to report back in how the petrol panic buying is up your end.
... rather than pointing fingers at our favourite bêtes noires as being to blame for it all. (Me, I blame golfers. Probably).

There might be a bit of logic to this in that people are more likely to be actually going somewhere if they are on the motorway - rather than heading out for a bit of recreational queueing and panicking.
Oh bugger. Well there was a bit of logic to it ...

Straying blatantly, and hypocritically, off topic ... Back in the 80s I was with my sister and niece, who was a small baby at the time, when we ran out of fuel in rural Louisiana. My sister not being the most organised of people had forgotten to fill up. I walked a mile or so to a rather disreputable looking place called Earl's Bar bar, full of sweaty seedy men in vests. Earl was lovely and organised one of the sweaty seedy men to give me a lift in his pickup to a gas station to get a can of fuel.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It always used to be that motorway service stations and a few on trunk roads in areas without motorways were prioritised for fuel deliveries. Many had freeholds owned by government and the tenant required to prioritise them. Many were sold off this century but some are still state landlord.

It makes some sense, as fuel tankers can travel motorways and trunk roads more quickly, but they really should be required to have electric chargers too but this government seems only willing to intervene to prop up fossil fuel vehicles.

Few will be doing that. Most have been making trips to junction services like Northampton Swan Valley or Gordano.

Is your wife a lorry driver? :laugh:
No - she couldn;t see over the dashboard!!!!

and she gets left and right confused - which makes her direction rather difficult to follow
We once got to a roundabout and I asked which way to go
her reply was "up"

(for the confused - it was going to be 'up there' - which is confusing in itself when I am looking at the road and she is pointing
her sister is the same - once said 'down' as a direction at a roundabout)

so - no - she was best behind a desk at the local hospital - driving might have been risky!!

classic33

Leg End Member
The Mail have labelled this a "fuel crisis

I toom great delight in pointing out that fuel supplies are normal, and distribution js actually jear normal, with over 98% of forecourt receiving their scheduled deliverys, so it is clearly not a fuel crisis.

I suggested that they relabel it what it really is - an idiot crisis.
We're running short, possibly out of idiots!!

Brandane

Legendary Member
No - she couldn;t see over the dashboard!!!!

and she gets left and right confused - which makes her direction rather difficult to follow
We once got to a roundabout and I asked which way to go
her reply was "up"

(for the confused - it was going to be 'up there' - which is confusing in itself when I am looking at the road and she is pointing
her sister is the same - once said 'down' as a direction at a roundabout)

so - no - she was best behind a desk at the local hospital - driving might have been risky!!
She sounds like an ideal candidate for Stobart :ohmy:.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Bearing in mind im unskilled - a post grad in astronomy related field, and a career spent shooting guns or hitting people with a stick haven't left me qualified to do much in the real world - I wouldn't get out of bed for 10 sheets an hour. I wouldn't for 15 either.

I would rather work for free as a volunteer doing something I liked - and until recently I did - rather than do a sheet job for sheet money.

Society is warped. 1. The waste of space, barely literate, semi-criminal pro footballers earn gazillions, which those that hold society together, the 2.truckies, the nurses, teachers, newly qualified coppers, do pretty badly.

Driving professionally is a responsible job, especially so for hazardous loads, and it should be treated as a career with good pay and conditions to attract the best, most dilligent employees. Instead they pay peanuts, treat them worse than dustmen, then wonder why only half the vacancies get filled.
1. is private money paid by club owners - and they can pay what they want as its their money to dish out
2. is public money from the tax payer...( maybe not the truckers though) if you want to pay nurses a footballers salary then taxes would be 95% and not 20%

you just cant compare one with the other, as its totally different pots of money and were the money comes from

Top Bottom