Drago's murder deathkill slaughter massacre panic petrol buying watch!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
He's become much more fuel efficient this year too :notworthy:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is a most unusual circumstance, so it would be a waste of precious public funds to plan for it, particularly as bulk storage of fuel is a complex and expensive business.

Tanks at every three nines facility would also be of limited value because they would still suffer from the vagaries of tanker transport, and genuine shortage, if there was one.

Juts been out to get some essential supplies
Forecast for rain and quite heavy stuff so I took the car

Arrived at Tesco - couldn't get in as the fuel queue was out onto the road and not moving
So I went to Morrisons (or is it Morrison's????)

Anyway - on the way home I passed the Morrison's station - full and sign saying no diesel - but any a queue of a few cars
Tesco again - station full but less of a queue
Esso - all pumps roped off and no cars - presumably they have run out!

I was thinking it might be OK during the day today as everyone has filled up already

I were wrong

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, Friday is the day for click and collect. I loaded Bruce in the car and off we trundled.

The petrol station in the next village had the lemmings queuing out onto the road. I managed to use my XC90 to intimidate my way past the mortal people to get by and continued into town, only to find the petrol station at Tesco was in a similar state.

It's little odds to me personally, as I have a near full tank and if that dries up Mrs D's car is powered by electrons, but it seems the lemmings have heard "please don't panic buy, there is plenty to go round" as "for the love of all thats holy, brim up now before armageddon arrives!" Fools.

Not interested in any political aspect of this, I created this fine thread for you good folk to report back in how the petrol panic buying is up your end.
What happens if it starts snowing heavily, leaving as much as an inch on the roads down south?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
the point is that the disparate level in wages illustrates the warped values that society places upon its members.
Agree. I think an overhaul is needed in "the system". Minimum wage is often used as a target and not a realistic scale for the demands of the job. Not all drivers are the same, not all work is the same. Someone doing long shifts, sleeping at home for only 1 or 2 nights a week, pulling a vast load of hazardous chemicals should be getting £15/hour minimum. If they introduced a mandatory minimum wage that adjusts for each type of job, I think it would be fairer and attract/retain more staff

Landsurfer

Veteran
Went to ASDA at 0645hrs this morning ... no queue ... filled up, £99, wandered off to work .... maybe you need to get out of your beds for fuel.

alicat

Legendary Member
I got £30 worth yesterday at Asda in Tamworth. It was busy (it usually is) but no queues. If I had carried on to home, I would only have had 10 miles of petrol left. I decided to see if Asda/Sainsbury's in Tamworth had any rather than risking running out before I could fill up again.

This is going to sound like another 'I'm alright Jack' answer but my Camper runs on LPG and If I can't get Diesel for the work's pick up I won't bother going in.

Off to Cornwall on Friday so just hope the queues have died down a bit so I can fill up with Gas on the way down.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Went to ASDA at 0645hrs this morning ... no queue ... filled up, £99, wandered off to work .... maybe you need to get out of your beds for fuel.
Shush. Overnight fuel deliveries have been continuing as usual and taxi drivers have been filling up at starts of early shifts or ends of late shifts without problems, but they'd probably prefer you not to tell all the lemmings!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I was thinking it might be OK during the day today as everyone has filled up already

There are 33 million cars on the road in the UK.

I'd guess on average you could probably get an extra 30 litres in each over their average level, give or take.

that's a billion litres of fuel.

There are 8000 filling stations, so that's 125,000 litres per filling station.

Bottom line: the volume of fuel in people's tanks is large compared to the volume kept in petrol stations. So even a small change in behaviour at the former makes a very big problem at the latter. Perhaps much exacerbated if deliveries are already a problem due to driver shortages.

Incidentally, the same issue in reverse is proposed as a way to mitigate leccy shortages with intermittent renewables - that smart charging and pricing of car charging will enable us to smooth out demand both through the day and over longer periods.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Agree. I think an overhaul is needed in "the system". Minimum wage is often used as a target and not a realistic scale for the demands of the job. Not all drivers are the same, not all work is the same. Someone doing long shifts, sleeping at home for only 1 or 2 nights a week, pulling a vast load of hazardous chemicals should be getting £15/hour minimum. If they introduced a mandatory minimum wage that adjusts for each type of job, I think it would be fairer and attract/retain more staff

During the last fuel tanker drivers' strike, the impression I formed is they are relatively well paid.

Public sympathy was in short supply from those on lower wages.

Some tales at the time (2012?) of them making £45K.

Perhaps one of out transport correspondents could give the current position.

Top Bottom