Drago's murder deathkill slaughter massacre panic petrol buying watch!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Taxi fares are regulated by your local authority. Taxi drivers have no say in the matter. They should switch on the meter when you get in the car, and whatever the meter shows at your destination, you pay. You can negotiate downwards to an extent, but they are not allowed to charge more than the metered fare.

I should have said 'tried'. I tend to be clear about what I'll pay, and to be fair (or fare), I personally haven't had an issue, but I know others that have had some bad experiences in recent years, but they're a different topic, and not for this board.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Taxi fares are regulated by your local authority. Taxi drivers have no say in the matter. They should switch on the meter when you get in the car, and whatever the meter shows at your destination, you pay. You can negotiate downwards to an extent, but they are not allowed to charge more than the metered fare.
People use "taxi" to mean minicabs too, as you probably know, which do not have regulated fares, with the dodgy justification being that customers will phone several to compare prices and service standards before booking one.

And that's before you consider accusations of taxi drivers adding surcharges not shown on their fare sign for luggage, walking sticks, wheelchairs and so on.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The aforementioned BBC headline story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58707455 is rather disappointing that the "Environment Secretary" does not seem to suggest at any point in the interview that we should be reducing unsustainable fuel use or that people should try walking, cycling, mass transport, e-bikes or even e-cars.

That's because Eustice grasps now is not the right time for worthy lecturing of the public.

Brandane

Legendary Member
People use "taxi" to mean minicabs too, as you probably know, which do not have regulated fares,
:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:..
Must be different in that there England then. I'm assuming a "minicab" is the same as our private hire cars. Basically taxis, but they must be pre-booked, and are not allowed to work off a taxi rank. They do still have to use a meter for fares though! (In Scotland).

Biker man

I can't say there's been that much of a shortage around here, but that hasn't stopped the taxi drivers putting their prices up. They're as bad as farmers who up the prices claiming it's been too hot, too cold. too wet etc. Despite spending a lot of time in the sticks, it's a novelty seeing them working. :laugh:
😄😄😄

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:..
Must be different in that there England then. I'm assuming a "minicab" is the same as our private hire cars. Basically taxis, but they must be pre-booked, and are not allowed to work off a taxi rank. They do still have to use a meter for fares though! (In Scotland).

A link a few posts above from a tanker driver suggests it's a good job, so I expect you're right it depends on the employer.

No argument some of the ordinary drivers are not well paid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hmm yeah I guess.

Investment in 'people not dying because an ambulance doesn't make it to them in time'

Way too controversial you're right.

Anyhow, im hoping for an excursion to Cornwall this weekend.

So it will probs be by train - but how are they doing for diesel stocks.??

Does anyone here know??
You'll OK, it's still steam beyond Newton Abbot....

Top Bottom