Drago's murder deathkill slaughter massacre panic petrol buying watch!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
And all the better for it.
Arrrr

Brandane

Legendary Member
During the last fuel tanker drivers' strike, the impression I formed is they are relatively well paid.

Public sympathy was in short supply from those on lower wages.

Some tales at the time (2012?) of them making £45K.

Perhaps one of out transport correspondents could give the current position.

Hard to say. As with normal HGV driving, the pay rates vary depending on what area of the UK you are in. Supply and demand, as always. It would appear the west of Scotland still has an over-supply of drivers.

Driving tankers used to be a much better paid job than your normal HGV stuff, but the gap has narrowed, even more so recently with supermarkets struggling to get drivers, and as a result increasing pay rates.

I am hearing that Hoyer, one of the big players in fuel transportation, have screwed their drivers into the ground over the past 20 years or so, pay wise. Similar to what DHL and Stobart have done to general haulage. They are now seeing the results.
Hoyer do contract work for Shell, BP, and others, so that tanker you see in Shell or BP livery might well be a Hoyer vehicle, owned and staffed by them. Have a look at the reviews of what it's like to work for Hoyer on Indeed jobs.com.. Not a good sign.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, just done the weekly family shop at my local Sainsbury's and I am glad to notice that the Zombie Apocalypse hoarding spree hasn't yet spread to home supplies. The shelves were reasonably well stocked with just a few omissions and ailses were all calm. I now have enough provisions to last the working week, maybe I should have bought enough for two weeks?..... :wacko:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Instead of a maximum amount of fuel for each car, they should impose a minimum limit. At least thirty five quids worth each time you call in to fill up and if you put less in tough luck, you still have to pay £35.
My little Citroen C1 barely takes £35 from empty. And motorcycle would be in trouble.
I’d rather impose a no petrol unless you are under a quarter full.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You'll OK, it's still steam beyond Newton Abbot....

It's the shovelling coal that keeps us warm though..

I did have one of those typical situations where I did, but also didn't* have to book my bike onto the train in various legs of a what was only a two and a half hour journey, last time I went .

Depending on who you asked, and which train companies website you enquired of

Still, it all adds a certain frisson, of traveller uncertainty to what might otherwise be a rather humdrum, in-region journey .

You've gotta get your kicks where you can in these times of restricted skirmishing right??

Alex321

Veteran
Our small village has a garage/filing station which is also the only shop. I filled up there Friday lunchtime (my car was telling me I had less than 30 miles left when I got home from Morris practice on Thursday), with about 7-8 minutes of queuing - but cars "queuing" from all directions.

By Saturday when I went (on my bike) for the newspaper, they had coned off one side of the pumps to make sure people could only queue one way, and it was still like that today, with queues on all days, but no actual shortage of fuel, or restrictions on how much you could buy.

Top Bottom