Drift HD vs Countour HD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Where do you boys mount ?

Side of helmet or on top ?

Ps how soon do you get used to the weight ? :smile:
On top, did not notice the weight but then I spent years wearing a full faced motorcycle helmet, whilst on a motorbike.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If you have a Contour 1080p then you need the old Easy Edit software, which is pretty useless apart from setting the time.
I always use Easy Edit for changes to my 1080p's but use StoryTeller for my C+.
The higher the quality settings/frame rate on the camera then the higher the class of memory card which is required. I always use at least a class 6 on my 1080p's and a class 10 on my C+, all bought from reputable sellers, i.e. not EBay..

Yep - Easy Edit is crap, and I don't much like StoryTeller either.
I uninstalled it completely, and just kept the configure app to change settings. You just need the following files from the install directory - copy them somewhere before uninstalling, and you can run it without Easy Edit or StoryTeller installed:
Code:
ContourConfigure.exe
QtCore4.dll
QtGui4.dll
QtNetwork4.dll

BSRU

A Human Being
Yep - Easy Edit is crap, and I don't much like StoryTeller either.
I uninstalled it completely, and just kept the configure app to change settings. You just need the following files from the install directory - copy them somewhere before uninstalling, and you can run it without Easy Edit or StoryTeller installed:
Code:
ContourConfigure.exe
QtCore4.dll
QtGui4.dll
QtNetwork4.dll
Unfortunately for the C+ I need to connect to StoryTeller, at least once a week to have the file, which contains the GPS satellite information, updated otherwise the C+ can take over ten minutes to achieve GPS lock. It does not mention this in the user manual but I discovered it about two weeks after I started to use the C+ and a quick email to Contour support.

BSRU

A Human Being
Hum

Put it on the side today and it felt much better

Depends on the footage acquired tho
I have never tried the side, just assumed it would make my helmet a little lob sided.
Also thought side mounting would result in part of the video being obscured by my head.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I have never tried the side, just assumed it would make my helmet a little lob sided.
Also thought side mounting would result in part of the video being obscured by my head.

I thought the same about it being lob sided but was fine

The clincher here is the image - I dropped a club cyclist this morning and If the footage isn't good then it goes back on top of the helmet and I get used to it

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Hi Gaz - It came with a 2gb card which only recorded 40 mins so I bought a bigger one (16gb). I'm not quite up to speed on firmware (to be honest, I've never heard of it!) but I'll see if I can find out whether what I have is compatible - thanks for the suggestion.

The symptoms you describe are typical (for Contour cameras, that is) of a card that is not compatible with the camera - it's not just a speed issue; some cards just won't work reliably full stop. They are usually no-name ones but there are plenty of no-name cards around with fake brand names on them. There are also many with fake capacities - this causes similar results to yours. Avoid Ebay when it comes to cards.

1. Test if the card capacity is real with h2testw:

http://www.heise.de/software/download/h2testw/50539

if it tests ok, then format with this:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

If it doesn't work after that, get a brand name card from a reputable supplier!

John

Number14

Guru
The metal bar in the ContourHD falls out because it is approx 2 mm too short.

I fixed mine by taking the bar out, measuring the diameter and then buying a set of knitting needles of the correct diameter and cutting to length so that the bar fits fully in the mount.

If anyone with a ContourHD has problems with the helmet mount retaining bar falling out, PM me and I'll post one to you.

Donation to Help for Heroes will be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Just editing and uploading now

IMHO it looks far better on the side then the top - you can only see a fraction of the helmet too

Tho in fairness I'm running 720p until my 32gb card arrives as I've only got 2 x 4gb ones right now

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The symptoms you describe are typical (for Contour cameras, that is) of a card that is not compatible with the camera - it's not just a speed issue; some cards just won't work reliably full stop. They are usually no-name ones but there are plenty of no-name cards around with fake brand names on them. There are also many with fake capacities - this causes similar results to yours. Avoid Ebay when it comes to cards.

1. Test if the card capacity is real with h2testw:

http://www.heise.de/software/download/h2testw/50539

if it tests ok, then format with this:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

If it doesn't work after that, get a brand name card from a reputable supplier!

John

Thanks John I'll give that a try. I bought the card from a very good camera shop in Cambridge and it's a 16GB, Class 10 microsdhc card made by Samsung.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
If it tests ok and doesn't work ok after formatting with the above software, then try a Sandisk card.

Class 4 is fine - I've got several class 2 cards that work ok at the highest bit rate settings for the camera. There's a fair amount of compression on the video so the data rate is not as high as a standard hd video camera (tops at about 13000kbps).

I'm not too far away if you want to test it with someone else's card.

John

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks John I'll give that a try. I bought the card from a very good camera shop in Cambridge and it's a 16GB, Class 10 microsdhc card made by Samsung.
I have been using the 16gb class 6 Samsung with my 1080p's and I have no problems.

Top Bottom