Drink four pints of beer once a week and you will gain 10 pounds a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I bet the only exercise (I’ll use the term loosely) those blokes who have beer bullies do is to walk to different pubs or shops for their beer.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Check out this claim:

https://doctordavidfriedman.com/blog/the-skinny-on-alcohol-how-to-drink-and-avoid-weight-gain

I don’t believe that for one second.

You can have four drinks in a day without going over your BMR, never mind any other calories that you have burned during the day.

You can quite easily do some form of exercise before drinking and easily burn off more calories than the calories in four pints of beer.

You can go for a walk for a couple of hours the next day, you can go for a bike ride tbe next day, you can eat less the next day, etc, etc.

Why do people post such rubbish?
Drink 4 pints a week and you will live longer than non-drnkers:laugh:
Plus the opposite sex will be more attractive

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I bet the only exercise (I’ll use the term loosely) those blokes who have beer bullies do is to walk to different pubs or shops for their beer.
Unfortunately I have seen many of these guys powering up a 10% hill where I was reduced to crawl...
Beer bellies lie!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wonder if people would be so touchy if someone suggested that eating an extra big mac and fries each week could lead to weight gain?

4 pints and a big mac and fries both add up to somewhere between 700-800 kcal according to my quick checks.

Yebbut you could always go for a walk the next day to offset it ... for about two and a half hours or so.

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I wonder if people would be so touchy if someone suggested that eating an extra big mac and fries each week could lead to weight gain?

4 pints and a big mac and fries both add up to somewhere between 700-800 kcal according to my quick checks.

Yebbut you could always go for a walk the next day to offset it ... for about two and a half hours or so.

It’d be somewhat more than 2.5 hours walking to offset

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It’d be somewhat more than 2.5 hours walking to offset
I can imagine. I was picking the first reference I found with suggested kcal per hour for walking and doing the calculations in my head. I knew that the answer would come out to "an unreasonably long time".

Lovacott

Über Member
Check out this claim: I don’t believe that for one second.

I drink beer at the weekends and I pile on the weight between Friday 5pm and Monday 6am.

Beer is basically bread in a can and if you drink it, you will put on some pounds.

Saturday and Sunday, I eat bread by the truckload and drink beer from a bucket.

But life is all about compromises so as long as you lay off it for four or five days, the occasional session won't kill you.

At 67 I am still the same weight as when I was 21. During my twenties I was a regular drinker and my weight never altered, though to be fair most of what I consumed went up against the wall the same night.
you should have marketed that diet plan - with a suitably catchy name.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Be about 6 hours walking. Add an hour for the drinking and 30 mins for Big Mac and fries. That’s 7.5 hours you suddenly have to find.

Surely that can’t be right. One can walk three miles an hour at a moderate pace for two or three hours and burn 500-800 calories.

One definitely burns more than 100 calories if he or she walks at a moderate pace for an hour.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I drink beer at the weekends and I pile on the weight between Friday 5pm and Monday 6am.

Beer is basically bread in a can and if you drink it, you will put on some pounds.

Saturday and Sunday, I eat bread by the truckload and drink beer from a bucket.

But life is all about compromises so as long as you lay off it for four or five days, the occasional session won't kill you.

Except those pounds you see on the scales are just pounds from water retention and they disappear after a couple or few days. Someone drinking even excessively for one night is not going to be putting on four pounds (14,000 calories), absolutely no way.

Exactly. It’s all about moderation. It’s the same as when people say, “how come he/she is so slim but is eating a burger and fries?” It’s because those slim people aren’t in McDonald’s every day and more than likely have fairly active lifestyles. Again, it all comes down to moderation.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I put on loads of weight when I was drinking and eating crap. It was the latter which genuinely caused me to put on so much weight and not the former per say. I was also not doing very little exercise.

Beer, bread, sweets, etc, will not cause you to put on weight alone. It comes down to many factors. As long as you have something in moderation e.g. if you have a few beers with your friends on a Friday night, and eat healthy food and keep an active lifestyle then you can still lose weight or at least not put on lots of weight.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Adding weight would be good for me right now as I'm down to under 70 kgs and my stamina is poor. That's what living on supermarket meals does for you.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I think the implication here is that you don't organise your life around engineering a calorie deficit that you can then fill with alcohol.

The article itself seems to suggest that alcoholic drinks are calorific, (more than some people think) and that alcohol can lead to weight gain and other health problems such as fatty liver if not taken in moderation. All of which is pretty uncontroversial.

But, the guy is going on as if people can’t burn off the calories of four pints easily. I mean, really? It’s about 800-900 at the most. All what someone has to do the next day (assuming he/she isn’t in an 800-900 calorie deficit anyway) is go for a walk, go to walk (if he/she is in an active job), go for a bike ride, etc.

There's a saying "you can't outrun a bad diet". Weight control by consuming excess calories then attempting to burn them off through exercise is a losing battle. Best adopt a healthy diet in the first place.

I didn’t mean that someone should eat loads of junk food and then do exercise for hours and hours in order not to gain weight. Simply keep active, for the most part you just have to eat healthy food and allow yourself once a week to have a takeaway, a few pints, etc, and you will be fine. One night a week drinking a few pints is not going to make you put on weight as long as you keep in a calorie deficit which is not difficult.

As for eating less the next day: If you are skimping on food in order to enable higher alcohol consumption that doesn't sound terribly healthy at all to me. But I'm not a medical expert, and I don't drink alcohol so hey, I could be wrong.

Well we all know the recommended amount of calories a man or woman should have daily, but some people just aren’t big eaters, it is as simple as that. Or, they eat more healthy types of food which allow them to be able to eat a lot but not actually consume a lot of calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom