Drink four pints of beer once a week and you will gain 10 pounds a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

There's no variation for weight there. Which is more important than walking speed.

From your link
"Please note that there are many factors that may contribute to your total calories expended. Total energy requirements may vary according to gender, age, muscle mass, height and other genetic and environmental factors."

So tell me your source which states that the MOST an average will burn is 45 calories per mile.

Don’t try and wiggle out of giving a source for your bizarre claim.

You stated that someone will burn LESS than 500 calories if he/she walks for three hours. So I decided to work out what was the most calories someone could burn according to you. So that means according to you the most someone can burn per a mile is 45 calories. Thus, 45 (calories) x 3 (three miles) x 3 (three hours) = 495 calories. That’s the MOST you claim someone can burn...

You’re posting utter claptrap.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm a vegan. I'll live for a very long time and not have much fun while I'm doing it.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The article is Bullshit. I grew up around the pub scene. I know too many who live in pubs and aren't fat, eat like a champ and are only moderately active. Genetics play a part im sure.

Disclaimer: Im not a scientist...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I hit the goal I wanted to ages ago, but I was too busy to post on here. I’ve lost more weight since then and I want to lose a couple of more pounds. My BMI is 64.8 now and I couldn’t be happier.

Are you sure about this? 30 is classed as obese! 😄

Loved reading this thread. Nice to start the day with a laugh........

The calories from alcohol are useless ones, much harder to shift than the odd splurge on extra food in my experience.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
My BMI is 31. Yet ive a 54 inch chest, a 35 inch waist, 19 inch pipes, and the last body fat test I had put me at 17%. BMI has about as much science behind it as Dr Accy's Patent Diarrhoea Cure Medicine, which we all know is swadust and cat litter mixed in curry sauce.
It works as a rough guide. The acceptable BMI for my height has a range of 2st 4lbs. If you are an athlete, body builder or some other variant, you know that BMI doesn't apply to you. For the vast majority of people who don't have excessive muscle mass, it works just fine.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I mean the second paragraph literally has a calculation of the amount of exercise you need to do...

winjim

Smash the cistern
I mean the second paragraph literally has a calculation of the amount of exercise you need to do...
FWIW I don't trust any 'wellbeing' blogs, especially ones which are selling supplements and the like, but this specific article does mention exercise, which seems to be the basis of the op's argument.

Edit: Also, I have time in my week to fit in an extra four pints. I certainly don't have time to modify my level of physical activity in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
If I drank four pints I would gain about 3 pounds of weight......... in the form of a plaster cast, because I would assuredly fall over if I tried to walk around with 4 pints of beer inside me!
I have never had a high tolerance for alcohol. Yes, I do like A pint or A glass of wine, but I stop at one because I will get in a state if I go beyond one.......

Drago

Legendary Member
It works as a rough guide. The acceptable BMI for my height has a range of 2st 4lbs. If you are an athlete, body builder or some other variant, you know that BMI doesn't apply to you. For the vast majority of people who don't have excessive muscle mass, it works just fine.
Its not even any use as a rough guide, for 2 simple reasons.

First, the basic datum for the modern version of the system was gathered in the late 1940s when food rationing was still in force. The population had not had a decent meal between them in a decade.p, yet thats the population data that went into the model.

Second, it takes no account of differing somatotypes.

If everyone shared the same physiology and the same diet it would be useful as a rough guide, but they don't use it as such and it isn't. According to BMI I'm clinically obese, but im so lean that during medicals in the past nurses have had difficulty using calipers on parts of my body to take the lard measurements.

And the other problem is that the front line NHS do not, by and large, use it as a rough guide. They blindly use it as gospel. Ive lost count of the number of times a doctor or nurse has, without engaging any thought process, told me to lose weight because of my BMI - "I'm already in the below-average body fat band, so which limb would you like me to amputate?" usually wakes them up and makes them look at the actual story and not just the headline.

The very NHS that uses it so much has, with the other hand, discredited it as long ago as the 1960's, yet still it persists.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Not at all...

If you have a job which means you are active all day then you have nothing to worry about at all because you’ll burn the calories of just by going to work.

Or, go for a walk in the morning for one hour and then go for a bike ride after work.

The choices are endless.

You already have that in your activity per week, this is an additional 4 hours on top that for the beers and walking.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
So tell me your source which states that the MOST an average will burn is 45 calories per mile.

Don’t try and wiggle out of giving a source for your bizarre claim.

You stated that someone will burn LESS than 500 calories if he/she walks for three hours. So I decided to work out what was the most calories someone could burn according to you. So that means according to you the most someone can burn per a mile is 45 calories. Thus, 45 (calories) x 3 (three miles) x 3 (three hours) = 495 calories. That’s the MOST you claim someone can burn...

You’re posting utter claptrap.

For someone who asks questions like does drinking water make you lose weight, this post and your replies seems very out of character to your previous posts. Careful you don’t blow your cover.

keithmac

Guru
I've knocked the booze on the head for a while, weight loss been one of the reasons, don't eat loads and need to shed 1/2 a stone.

I was down to 24 BMI last year (76kg 5'10), this was top end of "healthy" and I definitely wouldn't want to lose any more than that, currently 80kg (obese apparently).

I could eat like a horse and drink like a fish in my 20's not the same in my 40's unfortunately!.

The body is very efficient and takes a fair effort to burn calories in any big quantity, you can't outrun a bad diet.

I suffer from the munchies after drinking as well, plus a more food than usual the day after to soak it up..

I know people who eat less so they can have a good drink, each to their own.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The intended use for BMI was, IIRC, as a measure to be applied to populations and for screening. So you could say that population X tends to be overweight. And for screening, individuals Y and Z may need to be checked further out (superman @Drago, you're OK, but not you, Porky McPorkface).

But as Drago's article suggests it may not even be the best for that.

As to this whole silly thread, the article does indeed contain one small error. The author should have inserted the phrase "all other things being equal" in the assertion that taking 4 drinks at a single go, once per week, would lead to weight gain. But the article was always going to be unpopular as people don't like being told that their behaviour is unhealthy, especially when the subject is alcohol.

Of course it's possible to drink alcohol beyond moderate levels and manage your weight and fitness but the more you drink the more extreme the measures that you need to take. A number of successful sportsmen have been functioning alcoholics. The footballer Tony Adams was an example of this. I read his autobiography years ago and IIRC it was a pretty good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom