"Driver calls 999 to report a cyclist for refusing to leap out of her way"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
@winjim, I agree with the point of shouty cyclists; I think everyone has had a car driver do something incredibly stupid, you get a bit of red mist and you want to give them a go verbally. That's anger, and most rational sane people realize it doesn't do any good whatsoever. But at least from the video (again not the whole context), it was her who started the confrontation, and it's not exactly like he was shouting, swearing, threatening and being out of control. It was her who chose to stop ahead and confront again. To be honest, I thought what he said was incredibly mild (that was, mind you, in reaction to her calling him ignorant) and not worthy of her stopping, but just my opinion.

FWIW, I also wouldn't have done what he did, and I'd have let things go as soon as she slowed down beside him (first thing that would have gone through my mind is "here's a driver in charge of a very heavy dangerous vehicle who is too wound up, give them space"), the aggravation isn't worth it. But I'll still say there's no way the blame is equal here. However, I really do wonder whether some posters would react similarly after someone took the time to slow down their car to call you ignorant, particularly if you hadn't done anything wrong (that's an assumption here of the situation based on the video, like I said, we don't have the full context).

I don't know whether as cyclists we have become so used to aggressive or threatening behaviour that we have become ingrained to be cowed and we think answering back is equally as bad and makes as just as guilty, but judging from the posts, I'll put that forward as a possibility. While I certainly don't try to confront motorists (I can only think of doing so once or twice in my entire 45 years of cycling) nor do I think it's
something any of us should do(!), I can't necessarily assign blame to those who do after an egregious incident, particularly if they are calm and as non-threatening as the cyclist in this video.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
No, the biggest twxt is the one who confronts first, and doesn't know the highway code (at least from the video). What does she gain from that? Don't threaten people with ignorance and a larger vehicle.

"You will be on YouTube later" Im sorry but he is a bigger twxt than she is. What does he gain from that? 10 seconds of fame. A chance to show some drivers are ignorant of the law. Explain the law if you feel the need and get on your way. Dont threaten people with infamy.

winjim

Smash the cistern
@winjim, I agree with the point of shouty cyclists; I think everyone has had a car driver do something incredibly stupid, you get a bit of red mist and you want to give them a go verbally. That's anger, and most rational sane people realize it doesn't do any good whatsoever. But at least from the video (again not the whole context), it was her who started the confrontation, and it's not exactly like he was shouting, swearing, threatening and being out of control. It was her who chose to stop ahead and confront again. To be honest, I thought what he said was incredibly mild (that was, mind you, in reaction to her calling him ignorant) and not worthy of her stopping, but just my opinion.

FWIW, I also wouldn't have done what he did, and I'd have let things go as soon as she slowed down beside him (first thing that would have gone through my mind is "here's a driver in charge of a very heavy dangerous vehicle who is too wound up, give them space"), the aggravation isn't worth it. But I'll still say there's no way the blame is equal here. However, I really do wonder whether some posters would react similarly after someone took the time to slow down their car to call you ignorant, particularly if you hadn't done anything wrong (that's an assumption here of the situation based on the video, like I said, we don't have the full context).

I don't know whether as cyclists we have become so used to aggressive or threatening behaviour that we have become ingrained to be cowed and we think answering back is equally as bad and makes as just as guilty, but judging from the posts, I'll put that forward as a possibility. While I certainly don't try to confront motorists (I can only think of doing so once or twice in my entire 45 years of cycling) nor do I think it's
something any of us should do(!), I can't necessarily assign blame to those who do after an egregious incident, particularly if they are calm and as non-threatening as the cyclist in this video.
I'm not sure that 'guilt' and 'blame' are necessarily appropriate terms to use. It's more about managing a situation as best you can from the position you are in. She may have started the confrontation but the cyclist has a choice about how he can manage it. His choice was to escalate the situation by throwing in the YouTube threat.

I'm well aware that it's easy to opine from the safety and comfort of my sofa and in the heat of the moment I may not be the image of zen like calm which I am advocating for.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
I would usually let a car pass on a single track road - primarily because I don't want them squeezing past me. Sometimes they just can't wait for you to find a suitable place to pull over and start getting aggressive - if that happens to me then I might well respond in kind and quite possibly more aggressively than the rider in the video. However I do know that the sensible approach is just to ignore them.

Edit - I wouldn't class the cyclist as aggressive personally just assertive.

clid61

Veteran
All in all does it matter ? shoot happens that doesnt need disecting on a forum , yes im guilty of contrubiting , lets just get on withlife

lane

Veteran
Yesterday i was with my son who is a learner driver. i could see an ambulance (blue lights) coming along a side road so told him to stop and let the ambulance out. The guy behind starts hooting - he is hooting a learner driver who has stopped to let an ambulance out. There are some real morons on the road and you have to deal with them every-time you go out either on a bike or in car.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Yesterday i was with my son who is a learner driver. i could see an ambulance (blue lights) coming along a side road so told him to stop and let the ambulance out. The guy behind starts hooting - he is hooting a learner driver who has stopped to let an ambulance out. There are some real morons on the road and you have to deal with them every-time you go out either on a bike or in car.
A couple of years ago we were driving along a long, straight road with distant visibility. Some way up the road were temporary traffic lights to control along the single remaining lane past some roadworks. As we approached the lights they were green in our favour but we were still a little way away from them - we saw an ambulance with lights flashing approach the presumably red lights at the far end of the roadworks and decided to slow down and allow them to come through. The car behind us was clearly only looking as far as our rear bumper, overtook us, sailed past the green lights then had to pull into the coned-off area to allow the ambulance to get past them. They could easily have seen the ambulance if they had looked for it.

We got a hearty thumbs up from the crew as they came past us, I hope the impatient driver got some appropriate other gestures.

Top Bottom