Driver spits....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crumpetman

Rob3rt said:
I'd have been all in favour of you give him a beatdown tbh.

Not suggesting its your fault, BUT....... you snapped him on the phone, you could submit this to the police and its up to them to deal with criminals. But you decide to tell him yourself, which provoked a unfavourable response.

Pointing out to someone that they are doing something illegal and dangerous to their own safety and those around them IS NOT a provocation. If BM had said something abusive to the van man or something unrelated to the phone usage then yes that would be a provocation.

Just because something bad happens after you speak to someone it does not automatically mean that you provoked them.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
crumpetman said:
I do not think it is fair to say that the van driver was provoked. "Put the phone down mate" or whatever he said is not a provocation.

But I agree that BM could probably have avoided the situation by not mentioning the phone.

Im not saying he went out there in a way to to purposefully to get a reaction other than him putting the phone down, but what he did say was enough to incite anger, hence provoking. Its quite a pedantic way to look at it, and I see what you are saying. I just dont fully agree.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I think just the going in front of him would have been enough to get him to do something violent even if I hadn't said a word.

I've popped into 10000s of spaces in front of drivers at the lights - none have spat at me, intimidated me with a vehicle, or stopped and threatened me. I think it was the comment about the mobile phone that was the catalyst. That said, you could have just met a complete tosser with anger management issues

BentMikey said:
At least he knew there was a video camera, which stopped him from doing anything more serious. He's the sort of driver you hope never to meet in traffic.

Well, we simply don't know that as there is not a parallel universe in which you don't mention the camera.

BentMikey said:
I provoked it? I invited it? I think not, that is contemptible posting. There is no excuse for that behaviour, ever. Nor for you suggesting it's my fault.

I have a grudging respect for the way you point out the misdeeds of motorists. It's not my approach, but good luck to you.

BM, I'm certainly not suggesting you've provoked anything. I'm just saying (as someone who has been know to make the odd comment or two in the past...:smile:), that I'm not sure the gain is worth the pain.

That does not mean that I will not make comments in the future. Far from it, but I do try and reserve it for the worst offenders.

BSRU

A Human Being
Are some people suggesting that if you see an offence being committed you should keep stum in case the offender gets upset.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
magnatom said:
BM, I'm certainly not suggesting you've provoked anything. I'm just saying (as someone who has been know to make the odd comment or two in the past...:smile:), that I'm not sure the gain is worth the pain.

That does not mean that I will not make comments in the future. Far from it, but I do try and reserve it for the worst offenders.

I'm quite happy with what and how you posted, Magnatom, my posts above were aimed at the others who implied it was my fault. Rob3rt, it's not pedantry at all.

Origamist, your imagined scenario is certainly possible, but I think it's the combination of the two given his parting comment at the end. I reckon he would have gone ballistic anyway, and at least tried to run me off the road.

BentMikey said:
I'm quite happy with what and how you posted, Magnatom, my posts above were aimed at the others who implied it was my fault.

I didn't think you were, just thought I'd clarify to avoid misunderstandings! :rolleyes:

betty swollocks

large member
Mikey: That disgusting individual was a danger to all around him and you did precisely the right thing in advising him not to use his phone.
I simply cannot believe some of the victim blaming I'm reading here.
One thing though, when you see trouble coming, as it came here, get off your 'bent: you're too vulnerable down there and unable to defend yourself.
You must take that video to the Police.

QuinnDexter

In situations like this, especially when videoing it you should be restrained and if attacked in anyway that would result in physical damage to yourself, you are legally entitled to defend yourself. However I would have just turned the video off, go around the corner and knocked the white beared fecker out. Then get his keys off him and put them down the nearest drain.

You would have the video evidence to uphold any argument that he attacked you and you feared for your life.

I'll be on the look out for him.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
BentMikey said:
I'm quite happy with what and how you posted, Magnatom, my posts above were aimed at the others who implied it was my fault. Rob3rt, it's not pedantry at all.

Origamist, your imagined scenario is certainly possible, but I think it's the combination of the two given his parting comment at the end. I reckon he would have gone ballistic anyway, and at least tried to run me off the road.

Mikey maybe I worded my response unclear of my actual opinions if what happened. I am not saying the incident is your fault however you entered into a situation you knew could end up like this when it was avoidable and you still have had video evidence for prosecution. Whatever the chances or expected outcome ultimately you knew this could blow up.

In response to the pedantic comment I was referring to the definition of provoke, I.e to incite anger. Therefore me being pedantic for a moment, not you.

As 400bhp points out provocation isn't black and white. Since many things said can incite anger for different people. Where do you draw the line? If you had said hello mate do you think the same events would have occurred.

Provoking is probly too strong a word to use here I guess since its often associated with being abuse and totally out of order so I apologise for the use of a word with such strong connotations. But technically the use of the word isn't incorrect to my understanding.

Jezston

Über Member
I love all the people on this thread popping in to have a go at someone for something they disagree with - that being having a go at someone for something they disagree with.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Driver - ludicrous reaction and needs to be reported

Mikey - not sure about the filtering in front of the van, I'd have thought waiting in line was more practical in that situation. The queue seemed to be truck, van, car and then you. You could see that there was no way through the middle to the front but chose to go through as far as you could and then cut back in. This gets you beyond two vehicles who are then going to try and go past you again. As a driver I wouldn't have reacted as the van driver did, nor would I have been on the phone. But I would have considered your cycling poor and overly agressive for little gain. I'd probably have given you a little shake of the head the same as I give to drivers at times.

e-rider

crappy member
going in and out of the traffic like that isn't the safest thing to do - no excuse for this guys behaviour though - what a cock$ucker

Top Bottom