Driver tries to kill cyclist, hits building.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Found this bit quite upsetting:
QUOTE:
Reacting to the verdict, Mr Edgely said: “I don’t want a mother of six going to prison, because that’s on my conscience.
“Since the accident I haven’t been able to go out. I’ve managed for a while [to cycle], until I met three motor vehicles at a roundabout and haven’t since. I don’t know if I ever will again.”

oldstrath

Über Member
Found this bit quite upsetting:
QUOTE:
Reacting to the verdict, Mr Edgely said: “I don’t want a mother of six going to prison, because that’s on my conscience.
“Since the accident I haven’t been able to go out. I’ve managed for a while [to cycle], until I met three motor vehicles at a roundabout and haven’t since. I don’t know if I ever will again.”
The second part is desperately sad. I don't get the first part at all - how is his conscience troubled by this - it's her fault, alone?

oldstrath

Über Member
I know what you mean. I guess he feels sorry for the children... makes him a decent human being in my book...
I'm sure he feels sorry for them. Whether they are any worse off without nutmum for 18 months is debatable, at least. He might also remember that, whatever his feelings, the rest of us also have an interest in seeing proper punishment.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Wow would prefer no jail and lifetime driving ban but hey.

edit:
She had previous so jail totally appropriate.. otherwise I think she would have gotten much less.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

She could have killed any of those kids. You drive two tons of metal into a building and anything could happen, debris could smash the window and impale one of the kids. She was so cross she thought "You're not going to get away with THIS!" and used a car as a weapon with kids in it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm sure with her in jail there will be an assessment made of the children's situation.

Aye, improved.

GC

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The thing which worries me is what will happen to her children. Not whilst she is in jail but when she gets out - if her reaction to a minor incident on the road is to try to mow down the other party with her car, how is she reacting to children being, well, children?

Too True, I'm a rational, stable, normal person (more or less), and I have a daily struggle not to strangle the living crap out of my kids...... and I've only got 2. :smile:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Ah. I've just got to the bit about her previous. Already been banned for 12 months. Her new ban should be significantly more than four years. And does that start when she gets out of nick, or now ? In which case, a four year ban is even more laughable.

It doesn't take effect while she's in prison so it could be 7 years before she's allowed to apply for a licence again.

GC

Brandane

Legendary Member
It doesn't take effect while she's in prison so it could be 7 years before she's allowed to apply for a licence again.

GC
The problem being that people like her don't let a small detail like being disqualified from driving get in the way of them actually driving. After all, what are the chances of getting caught doing ANYTHING illegal on the roads these days? The exception to the rule being speeding as that can easily be monitored by cost effective cameras; which is why the Government are so intent on making speeding so "socially unacceptable" that they can then justify fining drivers for going a few mph over the limit, regardless of the circumstances. Meantime let's ignore all the other far more dangerous and illegal stuff going on on the roads... (sorry, I'm off on one again :tongue:)..

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
The problem being that people like her don't let a small detail like being disqualified from driving get in the way of them actually driving. After all, what are the chances of getting caught doing ANYTHING illegal on the roads these days? The exception to the rule being speeding as that can easily be monitored by cost effective cameras; which is why the Government are so intent on making speeding so "socially unacceptable" that they can then justify fining drivers for going a few mph over the limit, regardless of the circumstances. Meantime let's ignore all the other far more dangerous and illegal stuff going on on the roads... (sorry, I'm off on one again :tongue:)..
Regardless of what circumstances?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Regardless of what circumstances?
At the risk of going OT .... I am NOT condoning speeding; I do believe the limits should be enforced (if only they would enforce the other existing traffic laws too). What I meant by "regardless of the circumstances" is that there is not much danger attached to doing 80 mph on the M6 through the lake district at 3am - however doing 35 mph outside the local primary school at 8.45 am is more deserving of enforcement.

Top Bottom