Driver tries to kill cyclist, hits building.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If only there were some way in which the cameras that catch speeders could also be used to check the driver is taxed and insured

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The problem being that people like her don't let a small detail like being disqualified from driving get in the way of them actually driving.

Oh, I know, that's why I chose my words carefully!

GC

Brandane

Legendary Member
If only there were some way in which the cameras that catch speeders could also be used to check the driver is taxed and insured
I believe you may be hinting that such cameras already exist. Unfortunately they cannot identify the driver without investigation of the photograph v the person later claiming to be the driver. Open to abuse and lies being told, which only rarely are uncovered.

Cubist

Still wavin'
without giving too much away, there is a network of cameras both static, and mounted on police vehicles which will do just that.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I believe you may be hinting that such cameras already exist. Unfortunately they cannot identify the driver without investigation of the photograph v the person later claiming to be the driver. Open to abuse and lies being told, which only rarely are uncovered.
For a start, it's the vehicle that's taxed. It's the vehicle that's insured too, insofar as one takes out a policy to cover a certain vehicle for one or more named drivers.
ANPR cameras are a thing.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Yes, I sense a disturbance among the readers. It's a woman in an expensive car who has lots of children versus a cyclist so for Mail readers it's like choosing between a gay asylum seeker and someone who's on benefits and had a boob job.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Yesterday another woman driver was convicted of being 3 times the drink drive limit on the school run. And yet the feminists would rant about females being the best drivers.

Stupid feminists.

The Bear

Über Member
Just catching up with the story this evening. Three years custodial sounds about right.

Plenty of these overpowered white chariots in my neck of the woods. Prime status symbols invariably driven by half crazed harridans with tanning salon complexions, plastic tits and an Eastenders mouth. Usually married to one of the local halfwit "see yer laters" to boot.

Not that I'm a misogynist you understand... or a snob. Ahem!

Brandane

Legendary Member
For a start, it's the vehicle that's taxed. It's the vehicle that's insured too, insofar as one takes out a policy to cover a certain vehicle for one or more named drivers.
ANPR cameras are a thing.
You might not be surprised to hear that there are some dishonest people about. People who will "clone" other cars by putting false number plates on their vehicles so that their cars appear legal, to a camera.
They will also pay (or otherwise convince) others to claim they were driving the vehicle when an offence was committed on camera, in order to avoid prosecution or to conceal more serious offences (uninsured, disqualified, etc..). These matters will not normally be investigated unless the Police have reason to do so; so they go undetected. For that reason there are no statistics as to how often it is happening.
Cameras are only a deterrent to honest people! (As is the whole legal system, now that I think about it).

thornstar

Regular
I just summoned up the strength to have a peek at the Daily Mail readers' comments.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...salon-road-rage-crash-jailed-three-years.html

They mainly seemed to concentrate on her fertility and didn't seem too critical of the cyclist, by and large. The general level of anger was a bit of a surprise.

The level of anger is typical of a Daily Mail article. I'd be tempted to claim they are relatively tame compared to usual! I did like the comment about deporting her and her children to Saudi Arabia — I mean, she is not a Saudi citizen for a start so how is that going to work?

Brains

Legendary Member
The level of anger is typical of a Daily Mail article. I'd be tempted to claim they are relatively tame compared to usual! I did like the comment about deporting her and her children to Saudi Arabia — I mean, she is not a Saudi citizen for a start so how is that going to work?

Nor were the early occupant of Australia citizens of the country, but it resolved the UK jail overcrowding issue.
I wonder if we could swap oil for miscreants with the Saudi's ?

Top Bottom