Driving licence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I don't much like driving on the road.

Did a fair few track days down at Donnington, excellent day out!.

Did a car experience day a few years back, Audi R8 was a massive disappointment but the Nissan GTR-35 was an absolute beast, amazing grip/ speed and geabox was sublime.

Need to get a days 1/4 miling in this year as well, something always gets in the way normally..

If you want to enjoy driving either drive in Europe or do a track day.:okay:

Um, Brexit or not, Britain is geographically in Europe. And some of the worst traffic jams in the world have been in Europe.

But yes, there are places on this continent, that you can enjoy uninhibited. But there are other continents that do it better.

(eg, if you are in Australia, just escape the gravitational field of the nearest city, and you can drive for a day - at least - without nearing another traffic jam)

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I spent a couple of years in RPU belting round in a 3.2 Omega (they were proper quick) and 850R's. I've never particularly been a car enthusiast, and any lingering flicker of wanting to hoon was extinguished. Some of the lads lived for it, but for me it was a career move I didn't especially enjoy, and because of minimum tenure was stuck for three years.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Um, Brexit or not, Britain is geographically in Europe. And some of the worst traffic jams in the world have been in Europe.

But yes, there are places on this continent, that you can enjoy uninhibited. But there are other continents that do it better.

(eg, if you are in Australia, just escape the gravitational field of the nearest city, and you can drive for a day - at least - without nearing another traffic jam)
Australia is to far to go for a weekend. I love driving in rural France especially over the mountains.:okay:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Did you know that Ricky Gervais, Charlie Watts and Robby Williams have never passed their driving test? All that money and they can't enjoy the pleasure of driving a very expensive car or any car for that matter.

I'm baffled that there are still people who think being able to drive a car is some sort of pinnacle of achievement.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In Ireland I believe in the late 80s or early 90's there was a back log of driving tests so they just passed everyone :laugh: At the same time there was no MOT test (now NCT). As a result you had a whole load of people driving round with driving licences that had never passed their test and in dodgy motors; what could go wrong :ohmy:
It was in the Republic in the seventies when the civil service went on strike for something like 18 months and tests could not be conducted. My cousin's wife had just let her provisional licence lapse and so missed out on that one.

Top Bottom