Driving to the start of a bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
When you go on the train, do you take clothes to change into or stay in your cycling gear ?
I stay in cycling gear

Baldy

Über Member
Yes do it all the time, I got really bored with the local rides during lockdown. I generally go to the Trossachs or Locharber for day trips and the Cairngorms on weekends.

figbat

Slippery scientist
One thing I do - if the family are doing something that means driving to somewhere to do it I’ll go with them with a bike on the roof then ride home, leaving them to do their thing and come home later.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I very regularly end (and sometimes start) my rides by train. It saves the boring suburban slog to/from the edge of London. Getting the train home means I can do straight-out rides and visit more places. I'm lucky because the train network in the South East is good and relatively bike friendly. Also I can ride out and just bail to the train when I've had enough of riding.

I wear my cycling garb on the train, but once I've taken my plastic hat off, my cycling kit doesn't look terribly different to normal clothes.

I sometimes ride up to our friends' place in Coventry and my wife drives up, then we take the bike back by car the next day

I have driven out to a few Audaxes, but it never felt like the right thing to do.

But I quite often drive out and park up to go for a walk. Although it's much nicer to go by train, simply because I really dislike driving, and I don't want the stress after a nice walk. Having to drive is a big downer and can generally spoil the day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom